steering Damper

lothodon

Super Moderator
LOVED my ohlins damper on my r1.

i will, no doubt, be getting something when they are available, however i think i'll be going with the GPR radial type this time instead of the piston type i had.

i pulled and sold my damper from my r1 a summer before i sold the bike and missed it more than i could have imagined. the resistance it adds made for a much more stable ride imo.

my friend runs an ohlins on his cbr ... i was looking at the gpr v4 they have one for the fz1 but not the fz8 i would really like to try it out

Speedo007

Havent experienced wobbling on the FZ8...certainly not on my top 20 list of upgrades I want. This is more relevant on true sports bikes imho.

hypo

I've NEVER had a need for steering dampers, though I've never rode a racer. The closest bike that I had that MIGHT have needed one was my 81 nighthawk, it had a speed wobble between 60-65... but thats it... and it coulda been tires or it had been wrecked, dunno, it was my first bike and I got it for $500 back in 91?

i was riding some cottage roads the day and felt a little unstable in a few of the rougher corners!

Speedo007

You were talking about your weight the other day, these suspensions are usually dialed in for people between 150-175lbs...so I think it's more a suspension upgrade you need then a steering damper. I think the reason true sports bike need that damper is cause the front fork has such a steep angle to increase maneuverability that at high speeds that same angle can generate speed wobble (front wheel acting kind of like the wheels on a shopping cart). On most naked bikes the fork doesn't have an angle aggressive enough to generate this problem. I've pretty much tested the top speed on my FZ8 and not once did I feel it needed a damper, and I can say I ride pretty aggressively, taking highway exits at 2-3 times recommended speeds, scrapping pegs here and there, and our roads as you probably know are not silky smooth in Quebec. I'm not saying the FZ8 suspensions feels like a racing setup, but if it's really wobbling in the corners it's most likely that your weight is pushing the suspensions past their intended purpose. If you really want an upgrade buy a fork spring kit, and a rear shock optimized for your weight, you will have the impression of riding a totally different bike, a steering damper will most likely not have that much of an impact on the wobbling youre experiencing...as part of your problem is the rear suspension.

Last edited:

lothodon

Super Moderator
dampers don't just help in the wobble department though. stupid user input error as well as roads can really toss the front end around and a damper can put a lot of that to rest.

stability on corners was the reason i had one, and it was missed when it was gone.

Speedo007

I suspect the R1 would need it more then the FZ8 though for reasons mentionned above...I'm not saying this is a marketing invention and has no real purpose. Just that for most bikes that are not super sports bike, the benefits from it are limited.

your probably right with the suspension i looked at the ohlins rear shock but im i dont normally go out and ride all that hard i was just asking about them see peoples thoughts!

haha yes diet and exercise is a lot of work but i am working on it ... its living on the road all week long with 4 other guys with nothing but drinking beer after work thats killing the top speed and handling of the bike!

Last edited:

Speedo007

OHLINS Rear Shock Absorber FJR1300 FZ1 FZ8 XJ6 TDM900 | eBay

This would be a nice upgrade for your rear suspension, but if you do that you need to upgrade the fork springs too other wise you'll get an unbalanced bike (front being super soft compared to the rear shock).

There is alternative shocks out there though that are cheaper then Ohlins and would still be better then stock. Anything made for your weight would be a great improvement over the stock one.

yeah ill keep my eye out it wasnt anything i couldnt handle might of been my riding its only ever done it the one time ... we will see as i keep pushing the bike!

not really i work out of town all week long and i have my son friday and saturday when i am home so i really only have sunday and i try to get out and ride but i usually just ride with my father and uncles so never really push the bike but i need to take a day and try to dial in that rear suspension should be hard with only rebound to work with!

D

Deleted member 438

I had a Scotts rotary damper on my old CBR and I thought it was great. I never had issues with slappers or instability prior to using it, but i really felt that it smoothed things out on rough pavement and pot holes. Would it be possible for us to use something designed for the FZ1?