Stealership Stories

I figured to introduce myself more on here that I would start a thread for dealership stories... hopefully start something that points out the good guys or if you ever fealt cheated.

I recently purchased two bikes (well traded in for one[4th and 5th bikes (EX500, EX650, ZX6R]) and they came from Starwest Motorsports in Delano, MN and Simply Street Bikes in Eden Prarie. Starwest seemed nice, but I literally had about 45 minutes of real contact with them as I found the bike on the internet for a great price.

Simply Street Bikes was like a playground with a ton of bikes and seemed pretty good guys all around (although one refused to believe me the ER6F was a naked 650 Ninja and not a downtuned ZX6R).

Zacho in Chippewa Falls was trying to tell me a Gladius was a single cylinder...Although they were great about letting me actually test ride a few new bikes....never would have gotten an FZ8 if I didn't....would have had a t650 twin of some sort if I didn't.

cambo

Avid Rider
You know...I'm not sure if this really belongs here but the topic of 'stealerships' makes me want to vent about something that has really irked me...

So, before I purchased the fz8...I was so so...SO close...to getting a Honda CBR instead. And not a 600. But a 1000. stupid...I know. I had no idea at the time what I was in for. I had no idea what kind of power that meant. I knew nothing about street motorcycles. All I knew was, they would take my honda dirtbike as a trade in, the cbr1000 was the only used bike they had...and the final numbers were in my ballpark.

What didn't bother me at the time...but has really bothered me now that I know a bit more about motorcycles, the kind of power these things have, etc...is that the sales manager could look me in the eye, knowing full well I had zero experience...with my 2 year old and wife right next to me, and tell me that starting out on a liter bike "would be totally fine, guys start out on a liter bike allllll the time...you're a bigger guy, you won't feel the power as much...if you get a 600, you'll be back in a couple months wanting the bigger bike...we see this happen ALL the time...blah blah blah"

Yeah...boy am I glad I stepped away for a second to skip across town just to see the fz8 in person real quick before I committed to the cbr.

If I were a motorcycle salesman, I would NEVER sell a liter bike to a new rider. They'd have to find themselves a different sales man...eff the commission lost. Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't want the inevitable on my conscience.

Anyway, so I don't recommend honda powersports of Rockville to anybody.

off my soapbox.

darkside- sorry if this post isn't the kind of response you were hoping for lol

also...:welcome:

RoadKill

yeah it's pretty sad. dealers are shitty everywhere and they don't give a shit about they're customers. They are nice enough when you have cash in your hand and want a new bike, but they don't care about anything beyond that.

at least in my experience.

schmittz

Yeah, went back to Island powersports 3 times, first was when the inspection sticker they put on flew off at 40mph, the second time 4 days later when I realized they never gave me an owners manual, and the third and last time was for the first an only oil change to not be done myself, for almost $300 and I was there from 10 am to 3:30pm. Oh and they tried selling me a crotch rocket when I told them I was only interested in the fz1 and fz8. "Oh a guy your age is probably interested in one of these" directing me to the ninjas, gixers, and r1/r6. I hate that kinda crap...

Last edited:

Bajaedition

cambo, thanks for that post
yes some dealers have no sense of decency when it comes to sales
but there is another side also
here in LA where image is king, a lot of guys do not want to start out on smaller bikes and the amount of wadded up 100s is insane because a lot of guys insist on buying a 1000 cc sports bike because they do not want to be seen on a 250 cc beginners bike.
I am 55, been riding the streets for 35 plus years, ride a 1200cc ZZR for my big road bike
I went looking for a mid range bike for myself, I was ecstatic to find a 800cc bike, has huge torque and light weight for a single rider. But I know from all those years of riding a 800 is for experienced riders not newbies. 100 HP is enough to kill if you do not have the respect for it.

TwoWheels

Lol, LOVE this thread. I've been waiting for two months for a warranty part. They can't get a part from Yamaha in a timely manner, but they have no problem calling me twice a month and sending me 4 letters a month asking me to rate them 5 stars on Google and to come in for service. If you're ever in SE Michigan, and are looking for a dealership to avoid, I can help you out...

I'd be off the road this entire time if I didn't have jury rigging skills. I really need to buy a welder, then I'd have no problems avoiding them...