Starting with COLD engine

Speedo007

Lately I sometimes have trouble starting the bike when it's cold. It sometimes takes 2-3 starts to get it going and it starts a bit rough, then evens out.

Anyone seeing this?

By cold engine Im not even talking as winter cold, just parked in the shed at 15C. Once it's been started the rest of the day its starts pretty easily.

The bike has 3500km on it and have always used premium gas.

mano1192

I had a problem starting my bike one morning also, wasnt too cold either. I learned that I need to hold the starter for a little bit longer, when you feel like it should start just hld it for 1 more second and it helps fire it up.

Could just be the factory spark plugs are garbage, proboly not a bad idea to get some good plugs on these puppies.

trixster8

I noticed the same problem after changing my oil, but I didn't think that would cause a problem. I also noticed that my idle was lower than what the manual suggests, so I adjusted it to around 1200rmp.

D

Deleted member 438

I noticed the same thing and I figured out that I had to hold the starter for a couple of seconds after it starts.

tiagovsilva

HI,

I have the same behavior starting my FZ8.

Up to +-2500km the bike started up instantly. In the moment that i click on the start button, the engine began to work immediately and the rpm's were very stable.

After riding 2500km the engine began to have difficulty starting (cold start)...

Sometimes i need 3 attempts to fire it up, and when finally the engine start
working, it seems a bit rough... after 3 or 4 seconds the rpm's stabilized.

This happened only at cold starts... morning and the evening
(with the engine stopped about 8 to 9 hours) ... during the day, the behavior is normal ..

I learned that, to get the engine starting at the 1st attempt, i need to push the start button longer than normal ... more 1 or 2 seconds.

I took the bike to the shop and they tuned the idle speed that was at 1000rpm (with hot engine) to 1200rpm's.

They also made the throttle bodies synch...

After these adjustments .. the engine start seems better .. but never, as
was at first 2500km.

I still have to push the start button longer than I consider normal.

Anyway, looks better than it was ...

Have any of you resolved this issue? or discovered the cause?

Here is a video of what happens:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97WFl1E_1Go"]YouTube - ‪demarrage fz8‬‏[/ame]

Thks,

Tiago

Last edited by a moderator:

Shleeve

mine is brand new still under 200 miles and it does that sometimes on cold start, i just hold the starter in until it fully starts. Seems pretty normal to me.

I came from an '87 Ninja 500 and a '96 CBR F3 that both took frequent choke/idle adjust and lots of cranking and gooseing the throttle to get started so this bike starts great to me lol :)

tiagovsilva

Hi,

I know what you mean, but this is not my first bike.. owned, hornet 600 (carburated), ybr250, xj6 (the new one).. and all of them starts instantly.

My last bike XJ6 (FZ6r) with many miles on it.. allways started on the fly.
The FZ8 too, but now, it becames lazy. Even more in a modern fuel injection engine.

After you start the engine (cold start), it works roughly too (unstable idling), for about 2 or 3 seconds?

I'm with about 4000km now, and the behavior is the same..
I found this post here in the forum, and it seems to me, that other people have the same issue...

thks,

Tiago

Last edited:

Hereward

Mine dose it too, ocasionaly. I put it down to the dual throtle system and fuel injection system........it's all a bit too clever at times and trips up over itself. If it starts rough a quick blip on the throtle sorts it out instantly. From reading this thread it dose seem to be normal for this bike ond not an isolated issue.

mano1192

Mine dose it too, ocasionaly. I put it down to the dual throtle system and fuel injection system........it's all a bit too clever at times and trips up over itself. If it starts rough a quick blip on the throtle sorts it out instantly. From reading this thread it dose seem to be normal for this bike ond not an isolated issue.

Hitting the throttle slightly hasnt worked for me. Its been around 75-80 here in Vegas and it did this to me again this morning on first startup of the day, took friggin 5 times to get it to start. Its damn embarrassing too as my hot neighbor was staring at me :p I'm like "I'm not a dumbass I really do know how to start the bike" :(

Hereward

Street fighters being modern day cafe racers are taking this retro thing too far I think.....what next, a pile of oil under your bike everytime you leave it for half an hour? LOL

gearjunky13

I also found that it might be the cluch grabbing a bit when sat for a good while, if you give it a push with the cluch out in gear it seems to start easier. I know it sounds strange but I had a atv that did this and as you started it with the cluch in it would lung forward a bit till it started. its possible its grabbing a bit holding the engine back on first start. Just a thought

Last edited:

Rgraphic

I have been having the same issue. It usually takes 2 or 3 pushes and sometimes holding the starter as it struggles. Doesn't seem right at all but it was checked out when i went in for my first service and they said everything was working properly. Very annoying and I don't see how this could be considered normal operation.

tiagovsilva

Hi,

gearjunky13: you're correct...

This question is more than discussed on european forums... and after many ideas, many posts and many experiences, a guy discovered the "solution":
grab the clutch while press the start button always you start the bike.

With this action only, the bike will start without any problems. Everyone that make this test verified that it really works (even i:D:D).
If this won't work with your bike, maybe you have other "problem"... this is working on every Fz8 on the italian and french forums..

Grab your clutch lever always you start the bike. Grab it, click on start button, and release the clutch lever when the rpm's are stable.

You'll will notice that with continued use of this "action", the cold start will be quicker and quicker, too.

Regards,

Tiago

Besides solving the problem, it is healthy for start engine and fuel pump.

Last edited:

Ivy33

Hi,

gearjunky13: you're correct...

This question is more than discussed on european forums... and after many ideas, many posts and many experiences, a guy discovered the "solution":
grab the clutch while press the start button always you start the bike.

With this action only, the bike will start without any problems. Everyone that make this test verified that it really works (even i:D:D).
If this won't work with your bike, maybe you have other "problem"... this is working on every Fz8 on the italian and french forums..

Grab your clutch lever always you start the bike. Grab it, click on start button, and release the clutch lever when the rpm's are stable.

You'll will notice that with continued use of this "action", the cold start will be quicker and quicker, too.

Regards,

Tiago

Besides solving the problem, it is healthy for start engine and fuel pump.

I've been letting my bike sit for a few days to test this. I will try it this afternoon! Thanks Tiago!

Rgraphic

I was so happy to read this tonight after it took 6 pushes to start it up today! Can't wait to test this as well. I really got worried that this time it just wasn't going to start at all...:eek:

hypo

now that I think of it... I park it in first, and when I crank it up in the morning, its still in first... so I never have an issue... good info to know!

Ivy33

Ok, so I tested this out this morning after the bike was sitting for 3 days. I held the clutch in and pressed the starter for about 2 seconds and the bike fired right up. Now this is only my second bike so I don't know what "normal" should be here. In either case, it seemed to start easier than when I wasn't holding the clutch.

Is 2 seconds too long or should it be more instantaneous?

lothodon

Super Moderator
i ALWAYS start my bike in neutral WITH the clutch pulled in as i've been around bikes for so long i've seen bad things happen like faulty neutral lights and snapped clutch cables that have left pricey bikes laying on their side while starting.

if it helps i've never had a starting issue no matter how cold the outside weather has been. remember, wisconsin riders are numb (dumb?) and ride when it's still snowing. no issues ever so i can attest to the clutch grabbing possibilitys.