START... DIE. WTF!

TorontoAlex

Just started up the fz8 (6000kms) and she died about half a second in. Been trying to start her ever since. Batter 12.9V, seems to be cranking fine, got gas sloshing around. Can smell gas too.

I tried for about 5 minutes holding the starter down 10 seconds at a time. She seemed to want to start a bit more every time (lights were flicking on and off signaling ignition right?) and almost got started and cranked the throttle and now I cant get close to starting at all.

Only thing I've done recently is add a relay to rear tail light to turn on heated grips. I started the bike and ran it for about 10 mins Sunday after the install and everything seemed fine. Its about 6 celcius so definitely not that cold.

WTF! Very upset. Any help greatly appreciated.

Alright finally got her started not easily. Just held it down till it started. A bit of gas seemed to help. Lots of smoke out of the exhaust (gas burning out of pipes?) Ran real rough for the first minute like it was only running on 3 cyls or something. Now she shuts off as soon as I kick her into gear. Tried up and down still just goes off. I guess the clutch ignition kill switch or neutral ignition kill switch are fubared?

Last edited:

TorontoAlex

check all your fuses!

Just did ALL good. But realised that bike kills when engage gear with side-stand down. Woops.

That still doesn't explain what happened in the first place. Wouldnt start. Running really rough.

Does the battery charge properly when idling? I wonder if idling too long Sunday (about 10-20 mins) could have drained her. I doubt it..

Rotaryknight

I dont think the stator is powerful enough to charge the battery while at idle, stator max output is around 6000rpm from what I remember reading and at idle it is barely enough to run the lights and charge the battery.
Take a look at your spark plugs, they might be wet from fuel and not igniting. If they are wet with gas, you can get new ones or get a torch and heat them up for 10 secs or so and becareful since they will probably be hot.

Some bikes are finicky in cold temperature.

9 Lives

It sounds to me like it flooded for some reason. Since its running again I would take it out for a good ride to clear out any extra fuel and try to start it the next day, if it does it again then you have other problems, I definitely would not take the time and trouble to remove the spark plugs just to dry them out if the bike is running.

TorontoAlex

I had a feeling it was flooded but thought that wasnt possible with EFI. I went for a long ride and she run beautiful the whole night.

reALIGNed

Check your engine oil, see if the level is "over" the norm and/or if it smells like fuel. If it was flooded, it would show up on the smell test, and if you do smell fuel in the oil,......change it. EFI systems are known to do this, especially in a "cold" start scenario, the computer sends a rich signal to aid in starting, as you would with a manual choke (more fuel/oxygen), and most of the unburnt fuel washes into the crankcase and can dilute the oil.

9 Lives

I had a feeling it was flooded but thought that wasnt possible with EFI. I went for a long ride and she run beautiful the whole night.

This system is not as advanced as a car especially during idle, the computer makes a best guess using only the air temp and coolant temp sensors until it goes into closed loop. Most cars also use a mass air flow sensor and idle air control to further fine tune the idle mixture.

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
This system is not as advanced as a car especially during idle, the computer makes a best guess using only the air temp and coolant temp sensors until it goes into closed loop. Most cars also use a mass air flow sensor and idle air control to further fine tune the idle mixture.

also most cars now incorporate a MAP sensor and an A/F sensor to determine proper injector pulse length to achieve optimal air/fuel ratio. Only nerds are really interested in this kind of stuff, though. Us hardcore bikers are too cool to know about all that crap.

9 Lives

also most cars now incorporate a MAP sensor and an A/F sensor to determine proper injector pulse length to achieve optimal air/fuel ratio. Only nerds are really interested in this kind of stuff, though. Us hardcore bikers are too cool to know about all that crap.

If he didn't want to know he wouldn't have asked the question. Maybe you can explain it better, please enlighten us.