Sproclet conversion help!! -1/+2

Sledneck

Hey all im new to the forum. Bought a 2013 FZ8 this summer new and now just wanting more torque/power. I sold ninja 1000 as I don't need to be doing 300km/hr for any reason. bought this fz8 to do some hooligan riding around town and on the highway (also considered a ktm 690). So far all I have done to the bike is LED signals, fender delete, and a Coffman slip on. Hoping to do a power commander tune with full graves eventually.

Just feel I don't need the high end speed from this bike but would rather convert that energy into something more usable for acceleration and torque.

Been doing some research and found most guys do a -1/+2 conversion whether they go with a 525 or 520. I just cant seem to find any distributors for a 15t front and a 48t rear! Anyone else done this? and if so where did you buy parts from??? I would like to stay with a 525 pitch but if I have to I guess ill go the 520 route. Help please???

Umyaya

Hey all im new to the forum. Bought a 2013 FZ8 this summer new and now just wanting more torque/power. I sold ninja 1000 as I don't need to be doing 300km/hr for any reason. bought this fz8 to do some hooligan riding around town and on the highway (also considered a ktm 690). So far all I have done to the bike is LED signals, fender delete, and a Coffman slip on. Hoping to do a power commander tune with full graves eventually.

Just feel I don't need the high end speed from this bike but would rather convert that energy into something more usable for acceleration and torque.

Been doing some research and found most guys do a -1/+2 conversion whether they go with a 525 or 520. I just cant seem to find any distributors for a 15t front and a 48t rear! Anyone else done this? and if so where did you buy parts from??? I would like to stay with a 525 pitch but if I have to I guess ill go the 520 route. Help please???

I went -1/+1 with a 525 chain. Make sure you get a r6 throttle tube. I personally wouldn't like anything more than this because the high revs when cruising.. Just google for the sprockets. .that's what I did.. I would maybe even go back down to just -1 in front sometime...

Umyaya

will probably need a longer chain too hey?

Yeah if you do -1 +2. But -1 +1 still fits I am pretty sure. The difference between adding -1 to the back after the -1 up front wasn't that much... the -1 up front made the bike an entirely different machine! The bike should come with a 15t front sprocket for stock and a better throttle tube.

Marthy

Yeah if you do -1 +2. But -1 +1 still fits I am pretty sure. The difference between adding -1 to the back after the -1 up front wasn't that much... the -1 up front made the bike an entirely different machine! The bike should come with a 15t front sprocket for stock and a better throttle tube.

Just curious... on a scale from 1-10, how much more bada$$ the acceleration is? FZ09 has 16/45 and I ordered a 15T too. I don't need a 160MPH gear! LOL Did get 140 at the end of the strait away last weekend at PBIR. 5th gear @ rev limiter for me.

Umyaya

Just curious... on a scale from 1-10, how much more bada$$ the acceleration is? FZ09 has 16/45 and I ordered a 15T too. I don't need a 160MPH gear! LOL Did get 140 at the end of the strait away last weekend at PBIR. 5th gear @ rev limiter for me.

You ordered a 15t for the fz9 or 8? I can't imagine a sprocket change on the fz9.. that would just be insane. But yes you will really like the fz8.. It just makes the bike feel right.. Also get a full exhaust so the dead spot at 5k rpm is gone!

9 Lives

Bayside Performance will be able to get your sprockets. They are located in Vancouver.

Motorcycle Parts, Accessories And Service In Vancouver BC Canada : Bayside Performance

04wrxwagon

I went =1/+1 and I like it. I think it's actually perfect. Along with a power commander. I can pull the wheel up in first with little effort too. Not that I try to do wheelies, but it's always fun to pop it up everyonce in a while..or every intersection.

Umyaya

dalco450

Yeah I still can't! Lol

Around 8K RPM in first, release throttle half a second quickly and WOT (this compress suspension and rebound when apply gas on) with your weight in rear much as you can. You can also do off-on-off and WOT. I'm 5'7 and 150lbs, don't know if it helps.

Sledneck

Thanks for all the info guys! I think ill go 48t in the rear just to squeeze that much more out of it with a full graves exhaust eventually. Should be chirpin tires no problem then!