Sprocket and Chain Choice

Specialkmn

I have a 2012 FZ8 with about 11.4K on it and have found small pieces of rubber falling out of my chain since the last 300 mile ride. (I had to get it back home, right?)

I have found a chain that I think would work: Access Denied

Is there any strength difference between using a chain clip or should I just go with the rivet style chain and deal with buying the tool as well?

Rear Sprocket size is 46 teeth and the front is 16, has anybody gone one tooth up in front to lower cruising RPM? Has it effected the mid range punch of power this bike has?

My last question is how do I size the sprockets? I tried to use the fitment guides that Dennis kirk and motorcycle superstore have but the have no sprockets available for this bike.

HeresMyMind

Rivet styles are way safer. the X ring is more convenient but I highly recommend the rivet style.

most people do -1 +2 for better acell, if you wanted better cruising i would do +1 or +2 on the rear sprocket. that wont make AS much of a difference as +1 on the front.

Its all user preference though!

-B

Woody146

Banned
Steel sprockets with an o or x ring chain rivet style is what you want.

I didn't want to buy the tool so I took it to a local shop and they installed it all fairly cheap.

I went driven sprockets and bought them directly through driven..chain I got on sportbiketrackgear.com

Driven, supersprox, vortex are a few names of manufactures..sunstar as well.

I had a hard time finding the correct sprockets I wanted so I went to the source

Last edited:

9 Lives

I have a 2012 FZ8 with about 11.4K on it and have found small pieces of rubber falling out of my chain since the last 300 mile ride. (I had to get it back home, right?)

I have found a chain that I think would work: Access Denied

Is there any strength difference between using a chain clip or should I just go with the rivet style chain and deal with buying the tool as well?

Rear Sprocket size is 46 teeth and the front is 16, has anybody gone one tooth up in front to lower cruising RPM? Has it effected the mid range punch of power this bike has?

My last question is how do I size the sprockets? I tried to use the fitment guides that Dennis kirk and motorcycle superstore have but the have no sprockets available for this bike.

You might have a hard time finding a +1 for the front. I changed mine last year and used a AFAM 17 tooth up front but AFAM has been bought out by Drive and don't make the 17 tooth anymore. If you want to go with lower cruising RPMs your probably better off by going -2 to -3 on the rear sprocket. The rear sprockets seem easier to find.