Spring compressing

ramrod

I received my r1 rear shock today and want to repaint the rear spring before I install it. Has anyone had experience with compressing the spring to remove it? I've used a spring compressor to change the springs on my struts, but I think that tool is too large for the rear shock.

I'd like to get it painted here in he next few days so I can install it over the weekend.

Lee_533

Do you have rafters in your garage? I made a stand and used ratchet straps to lift the rear of the bike. I just hooked on to the passenger pegs, worked great.

C

Camo

Do you have rafters in your garage? I made a stand and used ratchet straps to lift the rear of the bike. I just hooked on to the passenger pegs, worked great.

I don't think he's asking how to remove the shock or put it in?
The way I read it was that he'd like to remove the spring from the shock and have it painted... And Ramrod, I'm not sure sorry.

Lee_533

I don't think he's asking how to remove the shock or put it in?
The way I read it was that he'd like to remove the spring from the shock and have it painted... And Ramrod, I'm not sure sorry.

Ah I see...OK. I have no clue how to get the spring out.

F

Fazed

Use the smallest pair of spring compressors you can find. You can make a set too, I'll post the link when I find it. The spring presses against a plate at the bottom which will be loose and slide out once the spring is compressed. The spring then just slides away from the shock. Release the tension on the spring ASAP as a tensioned spring is a whole lot of pain ready to uncoil it's self.

H

Hoover

What about a pair of ratcheting hand clamps, like they use in woodworking?
They have rubber tips that won't mark your fresh paint.

ramrod

I've seen some pretty innovated and jerry rigged ways to take out the spring but unfortunately don't have the resources to make any of those. I checked both our FSM and the R1's but it doesn't show this procedure, only how to remove the shock entirely.

HOOVER: Good idea, I actually have some at work in the tool shed that I might be able to use. Either way If I figure it out i'll take some pics, might be a worth wild mod for someone to remove and paint the rear spring.

JSP

Administrator
Take the whole assembly to a shop and they will usually do it for a couple bucks.

ramrod

Thanks for all the ideas, unfortunately I tried everything from Ratchet straps, C-Clamps, and even tried a vice but the jaws where to thick to fit neatly inside the coil.

After my guys at work saw me mess with this they decided to quote me: "What happened to right tool for the right job?" ... damn bastards

I went to the local bike mechanic and he said he do it for $10 bucks each time so when I got home I thought i'd check the internet and found [ame="http://www.amazon.com/motorcycle-shock-coil-spring-compressor/dp/B004NV23KC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359100314&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+spring+compressor"]this[/ame].

Would of been cheaper to go to the mechanic but I figure it would be a great addition to my tool collection and hopefully someone can use it after me. Bad news is now that this pushes back my install a week or two.

Mitchelldietz

Go to AutoZone rent their spring compressors. They are big but I used a metal pipe and put it through the bolt hole on the spring and then hook one side of each spring compresser to each side of tho pipe. Then the other to the spring.... hope that makes sense.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ramrod

Spring Compressors came in last night:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NV23KC/ref=pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1"]Picked it up[/ame] from Amazon and I highly recommended it. I tried to take the spring off last night but wasn't able to without a vice to provide leverage.

I took it to work today and hung it up and gave it three coats of paint. Hopefully i'll be able to install the the shock this saturday, if not perhaps another day this week. I suppose from what Satan said, we'll definitely need to move the Voltage Regulator Tray to install the v4 r1 adapter.