Spools?

Jacek3743

I bought cheap ones from ebay and I don't believe there is any difference except the massive price difference

krillz

I bought cheap ones from ebay and I don't believe there is any difference except the massive price difference

I could always put my own high grade bolts in. That's what worries me are the crappy bolts and 450 lbs = $10,000 on its side.

Jacek3743

I could always put my own high grade bolts in. That's what worries me are the crappy bolts and 450 lbs = $10,000 on its side.

I think buying eBay spools and then seperately purchasing a higher quality bolts would come out much cheaper. IMHO.

thach1130

krillz said:

You're not putting the full weight of the bike on the spool. The front tire will take part of the load. Unless you are are a large guy (200+ pounds) planning to buy the spool so you sit on the bike while on rear stand and makes revving noises during the winter, I don't see much concern over the bolt failing.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
6mm is the size.

dont spend money on anyhing other than looks, all i have seen are pretty much the same quality.

krillz

You're not putting the full weight of the bike on the spool. The front tire will take part of the load. Unless you are are a large guy (200+ pounds) planning to buy the spool so you sit on the bike while on rear stand and makes revving noises during the winter, I don't see much concern over the bolt failing.

I do realize that but I do lean on it or push, pull and wiggle the bike some times working on it. And as far as sitting on it and making noises that's my daughter lol. She loves doing that. Besides I ride my dirt bike all winter to scratch that itch. Thanks though.

Fuzzb8

2 things I thought were important to buy with Yamaha's name on them, frame sliders and rear spools. I don't make revving noises but I have been known to sit on my bike on the stand. :D

Glovik

I just threw on my set of Woodcraft spools, and I think they look and feel great! I was already ordering tires from revzilla and snagged the spools with them. $30 felt good to me. Not to cheap but not to expensive. They feel beefy like they would protect your bike sliding on the ground, and sturdy their thick sturdiness give confidence when putting the bike up on the stand.

I read only good things about these spools and the Woodcraft brand, I'd definetly buy again.

Woodcraft 6mm / 8mm Slider Spools - RevZilla

Remember you need the 6mm.

EtienneFZ8

Are they the 6 or 8mm? Gonna be ordering some soon.

Whoops. Just went and read page 1. 6mm it is, woulda been fitting to our bike if it were the 8.

rug_burn

Bolts are 6mm, just get ones that are grade 8.8 or better. These are the metric equivalent of grade 5 (125,000 psi tensile strength steel). In shear, these should be good for somewhere around 1000 lbs each. So getting on the bike should not be a problem. You want to tighten the bolts good and tight.

Me, I made my own spools, to fit my stand. I take them off when I'm done working on the bike. I mean, why do you want to leave them on? They just add weight, and are waiting to get knocked or broken off, causing a difficult fix..

Last edited:

Glovik

I take them off when I'm done working on the bike. I mean, why do you want to leave them on? They just add weight, and are waiting to get knocked or broken off, causing a difficult fix..

Most are made with materials that they use for frame sliders like delrin. They can help protect your swingarm in a fall. The amount of weight they add is tiny compared to what they can do.

I like how they look too :)

DLSGAP

I got mine from trex racing when I got my stands. Have had no issues holding the bike up with my fat ass on it. I'm 250 easy

"If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do"

- www.pjsparts.com

ZombieCrewChief

I just threw on my set of Woodcraft spools, and I think they look and feel great! I was already ordering tires from revzilla and snagged the spools with them. $30 felt good to me. Not to cheap but not to expensive. They feel beefy like they would protect your bike sliding on the ground, and sturdy their thick sturdiness give confidence when putting the bike up on the stand.

I read only good things about these spools and the Woodcraft brand, I'd definetly buy again.

Woodcraft 6mm / 8mm Slider Spools - RevZilla

Remember you need the 6mm.

Just searched this thread. Glad I found this. Sounds and looks like an awesome spool/slider. Ordered mine. +1

Woody146

Banned
Got Lockhart Philips ones..can't even tell they are there...under 10$ I believe at my local speed shop...have front and rear stands...and I'm over 200....not a problem...sit and start bike on stands...does not move!!! All the bolts are 6 or 8 mill..whichever it is I forget...that's all that's holding your bike...my buddy had cheap ebay ones on his gsxr and went down....the swing arm broke before the bolt or the spool...but whatever looks good to you....just make sure your rear stand had the proper width or you may scratch your swing arm..then you have to cover it with stickers....I know from experience...

NoNine4me

What brand and Bolt size do you guys like? Im reluctant to by cheap ones.
Why buy cheap spools for your $10,000 motorcycle? Yamaha's were about $40, made in Canada.

Speedmetal seems to make good ones, too.

That is a pretty thin bolt, 6mm. My Suzuki uses a much larger bolt. But it does the job as long as it's good quality.