SpeedoDRD

kbrink

Just checking to see if anyone has any experience with the SpeedoDRD y1 speedometer corrector/calibrator? Not sure how it compares to a speedo healer or others.

Thanks

FZ1inNH

Administrator
I cannot compare it but yes, I have the SpeedoDRD on my bike. Easy to set and works without fail thus far. The cheaper cost worried me but it's been on for over a year now. I'd give it :tup: :tup:

kbrink

Well, I installed the SpeedoDRD speedometer corrector this week, and so far it is working great. It was easy to install, and program. The wire connections were located on the back side of the engine and with the tank lifted, were easy to get to. I found mine for $70 usd shipped at Motomummy.com (check out the link below)

https://www.motomummy.com/store/home.php

D

Deleted member 438

kbrink,
Is it easily accessible once it's installed?
Thanks!

Speedo007

I brought the speedohealer to my mechanic to have it installed and he wasnt quite sure how what to connect where. He's a experienced mechanic but instructions were in english (and it's all french here) but I'll bring him a youtube video next time...I think they arent' very complicated to install but you need to know what you're doing and where exactly the plugs are (for example you could plug it in the temperature sensor instead of speed sensor its the same kind of plug). Instructions are pretty generic since these are made for almost all bikes out there. Just keep this in mind when reading on their sites how simple installation is.

Fz2fast4u

Mines off by exactly 5 mph not really a big deal. I'm guessing one you do some gearing changed it will be needed

Speedo007

The faster you go the more off it is...so its a % and not a fixed mph discalibration. I've read somewhere that it's off by about 5% so at 20mph it's not an issue but at 70mph it starts showing. Fortunately it's being overly generous so if something it helps you avoid tickets as you're actually riding slower then you think you are.

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Here, our bikes (wife and mine) were both off 10%. 50 was really 45, 80 was 72, 130 was really eff'n fast but only 117. All of this taken with GPS readings.

The SpeedoDRD is very easy to install. You need to lift the tank and then it is just an in-line plug for the speedo cable. Unplug this and plug the mating ends into the cable. Done. I ran mine to under the seat and it is zip tied above the battery. But first, I ran it out the side so I could pull over and adjust it to dial it in. Once set up, it then moved to under the rider seat with the zip tie.

Supah Simple!!!

Speedo007

I might try the install myself this weekend, just hate touching anything remotely electric hehe

If it wasnt from my plan to change the sprockets, I would have kept it as it was as I prefer going slower then I think I am. On the other hand, the fact that the speedo is off also affects total millage on your bike. So for instance I ride about 20000km a year that means that every year the bike ads an extra 1000km that I didnt do (when off by 5%).

FZ1inNH

Administrator
Since you are doing this, get some dielectric grease and put some gobs on all the connections before plugging them in to insure no future corrosion. ;)

You are correct about the odometer and the downside is you get to see your "actual" fuel economy. :( ;)

H

Hoover

I quite like my speedo being off. Anything I can do to prevent a ticket is fine with me.

D

Deleted member 438

;)
Since you are doing this, get some dielectric grease and put some gobs on all the connections before plugging them in to insure no future corrosion. ;)

You are correct about the odometer and the downside is you get to see your "actual" fuel economy. :( ;)

So your fuel economy was off by 10%? That's scary, we actually get some pretty poor gas mileage.

kbrink

I brought the speedohealer to my mechanic to have it installed and he wasnt quite sure how what to connect where. He's a experienced mechanic but instructions were in english (and it's all french here) but I'll bring him a youtube video next time...I think they arent' very complicated to install but you need to know what you're doing and where exactly the plugs are (for example you could plug it in the temperature sensor instead of speed sensor its the same kind of plug). Instructions are pretty generic since these are made for almost all bikes out there. Just keep this in mind when reading on their sites how simple installation is.

From what I've seen and found, there was only one plug like this (a white triangle shaped three prong plug) on the back side of the engine and closer to the throttle side of the bike. I'm not curtain there isn't another similar plug under there somewhere, I might have just got lucky the 1st try. ;)

Yamacat1000

So are your bikes off that much from the factory or are you compensating for mods? With the speedoDRD, is that something you have to program before each ride and are the instructions on how to calibrate it pretty clear?

D

Deleted member 438

I just ordered my speedodrd. Maybe now I can finally install my 1 down front sprocket.

kbrink

So are your bikes off that much from the factory or are you compensating for mods? With the speedoDRD, is that something you have to program before each ride and are the instructions on how to calibrate it pretty clear?

Sounds like all of our FZ8's are atleast off by about 5% from the factory, I went -1 tooth down on the front/counter sprocket, which naccording to the chart on the speedoDRD site put me at -11.2% off. Once you program the device, it saves the info and there "should" be no need to touch it again, until you make another change to the final gear ratio.

lothodon

Super Moderator
seems the fitting spot to ask, but if you go 1 down front but not the 2 up rear can you still use the stock chain at it's original length or does it need to have a link removed?

Speedo007

It will most likely be fine you just might just have slightly less adjustment space at the back once your chain is really stretched out, cause front sprocket is a bit smaller, but not THAT much that it would make a huge difference...