Sound like "dry clutch"... Any one with same issue

kuwaiyert

Hi all.. Juz got my FZ8 and currently still breaking in, mileage close to 200 miles but today when I start my bike as usual let the engine warm up everything seems normal until when I clutch in, it gives out a loud rattling noise.. As thou like im using dry clutch.. Play with the clutch and lastly i just clutch in but the rattling sound still there till i release it n the rattling sound is gone.. Check engine oil level, normal.. Start the engine again, Kick in to gear 1 and back to N, i clutch in again.. The rattling sound still there...

I will go back to my local yamaha but just askin whether any of you guys with similar issue..? Im doin a proper break in with riding less then 5000 rpm..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

V

Vapordan

I had that two days ago, my mileage is about the same as yours. Use the clutch adjuster on the trigger to adjust it away. I think I slacked mine and and adjusted the trigger knob (that's not available on the stock trigger)

D

Deleted member 438

I'm at 6400 miles and I have some rattling that I think is coming from the can chain tensioner.

David3

When I was test driving my 8 I heard the same thing (had about 30km back then). Also I felt that it was a little hard to get the gears in (maybe that was just because it was all new). So I asked my dealer and he said that there was some kind of recall from yamaha within a certain serial number range - we checked it and, yes, it is in that range. They have to change some parts and readjust everything. In fact I just brought it to the dealer about an hour ago to fix it.

Not sure if this could be the same thing...

By the way: Got an FZ1 as loaner for free during the reworking! :)

V

Vapordan

When I was test driving my 8 I heard the same thing (had about 30km back then). Also I felt that it was a little hard to get the gears in (maybe that was just because it was all new). So I asked my dealer and he said that there was some kind of recall from yamaha within a certain serial number range - we checked it and, yes, it is in that range. They have to change some parts and readjust everything. In fact I just brought it to the dealer about an hour ago to fix it.

Can you give some more details about the recall? That would be great for us all.

David3

I don't remember more details, sorry. :(
But the dealer had like a letter so I'll ask to get a copy if I pick her up tomorrow. Most likely it's in German but then I can translate or perhaps there is even a reference or something on there...

kuwaiyert

I had that two days ago, my mileage is about the same as yours. Use the clutch adjuster on the trigger to adjust it away. I think I slacked mine and and adjusted the trigger knob (that's not available on the stock trigger)

Well tried that.. Nothing change...

I'm at 6400 miles and I have some rattling that I think is coming from the can chain tensioner.

It did comin from tat area but dont think so its cam chain.. But can be possible...

Is it...?? Goin back to my local agent later.. Now seems the engine sound got rougher and dont know is it a batch problem or a one off case..

Anyway good for u to have a replacement bike.. Unlike my place dont no replacement or free loan bike during the reworking...

kuwaiyert

Ok.. Got back from my local yamaha agent and the mechanic attended to me explain that it is normal.. There are also few fazer riders be it 8 or 1k also have similar issue so he told me to relax coz everything still works fine as long i dont have the problem like shifting gear or Engine bogs.. I shouldnt be worry too much

Still i am not quite satisfy because if the sound appear during the very 1st start up then i dont mind.. But the rattling sound (not the fading rattling noise as it is much louder..) came after 300 miles.. Anyway the mech explain well n make sense n he asked me to ebserve until the 1st servicing at 600 miles...

The newer fazer n R1 engine have new design as such the oil sump is below the clutch and the mech explained the engine oil "sprayed" the clutch when the engine is runnin.. The material use in clutch also change as it is "lighter" n somehow makes the newer design to act similar to a dry clutch so thats why it got that fading rattle noise n perhaps R1 is much "noisier" as it is using slipper clutch.. Unlike the older generation the clutch plates partialy dips in oil sump...

Last edited:

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic

I'm about to buy an FZ8 and now I'm not so sure until I find out more about any recalls. I searched the Internet for "FZ8 recall" but found absolutely nothing.

MotoRick

Motorcycle Fanatic
I just got off the phone with my local Yamaha dealer and he hadn't heard anything about an FZ8 recall, so maybe it's just a thing in Switzerland.

David3

I don't remember more details, sorry. :(
But the dealer had like a letter so I'll ask to get a copy if I pick her up tomorrow. Most likely it's in German but then I can translate or perhaps there is even a reference or something on there...

Got her back yesterday and shifting is really better / easier. My dealer gave me a copy of the document in German. I can scan it and upload it (where?) but for now I just translate what's on there:

------
YAMAHA TECHNICAL INFO (so maybe recall is a bit too heavy)
Dated March 29, 2012

Model: FZ8-NA/SA
Problem: Clutch does not disengage correctly

Text:
As already seen shortly after the first deliveries, some FZ-8 NA/SA have a clutch that does not disengage correctly and therefore the geart box is tight to shift. Yamaha has looked into this and found out that due to the wrong shape of the backside of the clutch hub too much motor oil is lead into the area of the hindmost clutch disk resulting in the clutch not disengaging correctly.

Affected serial numbers:
RN252-000301 to RN252-005245
RN256-000301 to RN256-004880

Needed modification:
Yamaha has redesigned the clutch hub so that less motor oli gets into the area of the hindmost clutch disk.

So if there is an FZ8-model that is in the affected serial number range and has problems with shifting / with the gear box we ask you to change the clutch hub.

Needed spare parts:
Clutch hub OLD: 39P-16370-00 / NEW: 39P-16370-01
Nut OLD: 90179-20007 / NEW: same
Seal OLD: 4C8-15461-00 / NEW: same
------

That's it - I hope my translation is good enough to understand everything correctly...:confused:

David

V

Vapordan

What are they referring to as a serial number? Is that the VIN? I couldn't find this on my bike.

kuwaiyert

Got her back yesterday and shifting is really better / easier. My dealer gave me a copy of the document in German. I can scan it and upload it (where?) but for now I just translate what's on there:

------
YAMAHA TECHNICAL INFO (so maybe recall is a bit too heavy)
Dated March 29, 2012

Model: FZ8-NA/SA
Problem: Clutch does not disengage correctly

Text:
As already seen shortly after the first deliveries, some FZ-8 NA/SA have a clutch that does not disengage correctly and therefore the geart box is tight to shift. Yamaha has looked into this and found out that due to the wrong shape of the backside of the clutch hub too much motor oil is lead into the area of the hindmost clutch disk resulting in the clutch not disengaging correctly.

Affected serial numbers:
RN252-000301 to RN252-005245
RN256-000301 to RN256-004880

Needed modification:
Yamaha has redesigned the clutch hub so that less motor oli gets into the area of the hindmost clutch disk.

So if there is an FZ8-model that is in the affected serial number range and has problems with shifting / with the gear box we ask you to change the clutch hub.

Needed spare parts:
Clutch hub OLD: 39P-16370-00 / NEW: 39P-16370-01
Nut OLD: 90179-20007 / NEW: same
Seal OLD: 4C8-15461-00 / NEW: same
------

That's it - I hope my translation is good enough to understand everything correctly...:confused:

David

Hey David3.. THANKS for sharing.. Anyway the engine serial number is according to the country where it suppose to ship.. Coz mine in Singapore is XN522E-XXXXXXX.. Anyway it should be a great help for those who are stayin near your region..

When i went to my local agent previously they dont know that there is a batch recall on clutch issues for FZ8... well i think i shall email to my local yamaha agent n wait what will be their reply.. If the answer not satisfying i shall email to yamaha Japan..

V

Vapordan

I've been spending more time with my clutch and I don't think that this rattling sound is normal. My symptoms are that when the back is hot (90 degrees), put the bike in neutral, listen to sound of the engine, start pulling in on the clutch. About midway, there's a rattle. If I keep it at that point, the rattle does not go away. I can adjust the rattle so that it is at different points in the slip but it's still there. Also, when it's hot, the clutch does not pull or bite like when it's cold. I expect the reverse. My 1000km service is approaching so I'm going to take it up with the dealer. I'll also mention this service bulletin as well.

Iwan

I just changed my clutch boss assembly and still having the same problem, I tot it's going to be smoother but no different :(

ANTON

Not so smooth clutch

:bs2:My FZ8 Is around 4000 Miles right now, problem is i had a real issue shifting and then after some debate with Yamaha, they replaced my clutch and all went well until about two days ago, bucking like a bronco when engaging 1st gear, and cuts out, as well as when down shifting, engage the clutch and it does not release, bike still carries on going, what to do, guys, i am a South African in your lovely country, dont know the local tricks, but would appreciate some help please, anybody have any idea on how many kicks with a safety shoe on the tire it takes to fix this problem ?