somthing you shouldn't do...

villhelmromero

so... I was getting pretty tired of those unsightly brown spots all over my headers and decided to try and get rid of them with oil based stainless steel cleaner.

1. the cleaner didn't clean a damn thing even with scotch brite.

2. being very distracted like I usually am I walked away and forgot about the cleaner being on the pipes and rode my bike to town.

4. heating stainless steel cleaner to at least 150° F will cause the cleaner to smoke like a motherf#©&€π.

3. trying to clean it off with just water didn't work so I had to use and all purpose cleaner.

4. on the upside it smelled really good and lemony and it did turn my pipes that more purpleish blue tint, but the spots are still there.

point being is unless you want to see your pipes smoke a whole bunch and change the color of them to a purplish tint don't try this.

Last edited:

JSP

Administrator
I used a scotchbrite (non scractch) and some metal polish on mine and they came out great. (Not on FZ) Have to REALLY dig in and put your back into it. :)

Marthy

If your headers is quite beat up and show sign of time. Pull it out and get it soda blast. I did it to my headers just to clean it up and turn out good. No all shinny like JSP but it's a start... or send it out and get it ceramic coated like a lot of people do and be done with it.

villhelmromero

If your headers is quite beat up and show sign of time. Pull it out and get it soda blast. I did it to my headers just to clean it up and turn out good. No all shinny like JSP but it's a start... or send it out and get it ceramic coated like a lot of people do and be done with it.

I am highly considering the ceramic coating. I would love for the entire exhaust system to be all black. but I really wouldn't know where to even find a place to do that. on the other hand I do you like how the stainless steel turns colors really neat looking (except for the brown spots)

pigdog

borla stainless polish, you'll use fine bronze wool (to apply polish), two rags, one to remove the black stuff you just created, rag two makes it shine

Last edited: