Snakeskins tank grips

Speedo007

Ordered 2 sheets of snakeskin from Techspec. They didnt have the Fz8 pattern yet.

Here's what I photoshopped so far, should receive the material this week. Can't wait to get them as I find the tank mighty slippery with my Rukka suit.

I'll let you guys know how it works out and if some want the shape I might post an outline later on.

Last edited:

Speedo007

Didnt receive the snakeskins yet, but since it was nice and warm outside decided to put my design to the test. My initial design fit well with the bike lines but once I tried it on the tank it didnt cover areas where my legs have already been scratching the tank.

So here's my design v2.

I must say it was harder then expected, that tank has lines that change depending on what angle your looking at it, hard to make a pad look good from every angle...

i thik your doing a good job at making it lookg good... i know from helping my friend with his decal shop that it is much harder then it apears to make lines match and meet up when we wraped my sled it took forever ...but the best way to do it is the way your doing it just make templates and see what one looks best and fits best!! good job keep up the good work oh send me a the template once you get all the hard work done lol jk

Speedo007

I ordered blank sheets (two 7.5" X 13" sheets) So I can basically get any shape I want as long as it fits in that sheet...

Speedo007

Motorcycle Tank Pads from TechSpec-USA - Yamaha Gripster Sport

Scroll down the page:
YAMAHA

General Sheet
(includes two 7.5x13.0 inch sheets and one center tank pro)

It is a bit expensive with shipping, but these are really worth it, and you can easily remove and reposition the grips, their adhesive is great, and I love the snakeskins. Once you've had this you'll never go back to cheap tank grips and tank protectors.

Speedo007

Ok just finished grinding the edges of the freshly cut side panels. with the blank sheets they include a center piece for the tank.

It looks light grey cause rubber is new and it's freakin' sunny outside but it's darker then it looks in the picture.

Now I need to wait 12h for the adhesive to settle.

Will finally stop being sent in the tank on agressive braking...:)

I'll probably make myself a center piece that will fit better with the side panels with whats left of the blank sheets I used...

Here's the update with new center piece:

Last edited:

bambam

Those look pretty good. I am pretty interested in these, but was curious if the pre-cut templates for the FZ6 would work on the FZ8.
I thought the bikes were very similar from a fame size, so the tank design would be the same? Not that I don't think your design is good, but having something pre-cut would be a lot easier for me considering my limited free time and lack of tools.

Speedo007

The Fz6 tank is really not the same design, I have both bikes. The Fz1 is closer but they dont share the same tank.
If you wait they will certainly provide a pre-cut model for the fz8 soon.
And heres a more recent picture of the tank pads sideways:

Last edited:

mano1192

FYI I got a update from emailing the company, looks like a a pattern for the FZ8 is coming soon! Looks like I may have brokered a discount for our forum members!

Hi Steve and thank you for your interest with TechSpec’s Gripster Tank Grips.

The FZ8 is currently in the tooling process and product should be available by end of May. If you would be so kind as to check back with us come the end of this month, we’ll be happy to work something out with the FZ8 members.

Thank you for your interest 

Dean D.
TechSpec-usa.com
775-783-5110
916-990-2025 cel

Speedo007

its been a while since they told me they were working on one...maybe with a few customers they will actually get it done :) I'm glad I did mine. I made myself a new strip for the middle of the tank with some leftovers so it looks better on my bike then the precut one (just the middle part) they include with all blank sheets (I'll take new pictures when it stops raining).

bambam

Interesting, I bought a set of the basic pads last week (just arrived Friday) and noted they were for the FZ8.

Figures they would come out with a pattern after I bought the pads lol.
I am going to ask Speedo007 to get his template and hopefully cut it out this weekend.
Thanks for the update though. I have some friends that are interested in the FZ8 and they would prefer the pre-cut snakeskins for sure.

FYI I got a update from emailing the company, looks like a a pattern for the FZ8 is coming soon! Looks like I may have brokered a discount for our forum members!

Hi Steve and thank you for your interest with TechSpec’s Gripster Tank Grips.

The FZ8 is currently in the tooling process and product should be available by end of May. If you would be so kind as to check back with us come the end of this month, we’ll be happy to work something out with the FZ8 members.

Thank you for your interest 

Dean D.
TechSpec-usa.com
775-783-5110
916-990-2025 cel

mano1192

yea I was reading through this thread the other day and decided what the hell, might as well just email them. Im glad they are coming out with precut ones... I dont have a ton of time these days otherwise i would make my own too!

Speedo007

Heres a few updated pictures with the new middle piece I made out of the snakeskin leftovers used for the sides:

Now if only those mirrors can arrive...

Last edited: