Should use better fuel.

jess24845030

Just got my bike back from its yearly service and have been told all is good apart from the mechanic said it looks like I am using cheap fuel . Ie from supermarket and had to say yes I have , he said if I can afford to then at least use the better fuel and pay a little extra . This is all down to the amount of methonal in the fuel any one else heard of this . Even more disturbing is that in the next few years is their is supposed to be eu legislation to up the methonal content even more to the point where some classic bikes and cars won,t even run anymore .

Jacek3743

try adding some "seafoam" from time to time. I put in everything that runs on gasoline in my house. Did it in my car and felt a huge difference afterwards.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Seafoam is pretty great stuff. It's been around donkey's years (WW2?) and is great for cleaning out carbuerators and fuel injection.

When I used it to clean out my carb, there were a couple things I noticed:

• Compression ignition. I'd disconnected the spark plug wire and was just cranking it over with seafoam instead of fuel. I was getting white smoke out the exhaust and a backfire when I stopped cranking.
  • It really toasted my oil. The oil was all kinds of nasty on the dipstick after I ran a full 2 US gallon tank with a splash of seafoam. I've seen a few places that suggest changing the oil and filter following a fuel treatment.

Conclusions?

1. Don't push the bike hard when you've got seafoam in the mix
  2. Change the oil following a seafoam-treated tank.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Seafoam what is it ? cant say iv`e ever seen it in the uk

any of the better fuel treatments with a high naptha content will help... just see what's available and then check it out on the interwebs for reviews...

also be careful... the normal bottles are usually for treating 20 gallons... adjust accordingly!

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
I actually run pure-gas through the bike atleast for track days. No detergent's no methanol/ethanol nothing. Better power output {dyno proven} Problem is just like anything that is better at a pump, it cost more, not as bad as the camII in the for the drag-truck but still more than pump premium

Jacek3743

I actually run pure-gas through the bike atleast for track days. No detergent's no methanol/ethanol nothing. Better power output {dyno proven} Problem is just like anything that is better at a pump, it cost more, not as bad as the camII in the for the drag-truck but still more than pump premium

race fuel?

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
Nope 89 octane, just no additives. It kinda stinks when it's burnt to the average person but I love it

reALIGNed

You can also mix aviation fuel, use a 4 to 1 ratio, (gasoline/aviation). Aviation fuel at most small airports is apprx. 135 octane, it will also clean the valves , etc., and give a significant boost in power.

thach1130

You can also mix aviation fuel, use a 4 to 1 ratio, (gasoline/aviation). Aviation fuel at most small airports is apprx. 135 octane, it will also clean the valves , etc., and give a significant boost in power.

It's also leaded fuel.

Last edited:

RoadKill

how will aviation fuel give more power? octane is not power rating.

melbfz8

the higher the octane the higher the detonation temperature is. so......
you can run more timing which increases power out put.
but just running a higher octane fuel with no mods will do nothing. except foul your plugs

SeñorJack

El Guapo
there is already a huge more in depth discussion on combustion and fuel. i would link it. but i dont know how with tapatalk haha.

reALIGNed

Aviation fuel is more combustable, (as is diesel fuel), it also contains more detergents and burns hotter. Do not run it straight, it needs to be blended with pump gas, and not every tank full either. Try it, you'll feel the difference. Isn't everyone's bike here modded?

Last edited:

97audia4

Aviation fuel at small airports is 100LL which stands for low lead but should still not be run with a cat and can damage o2 sensors as well so not sure its worth it

reALIGNed

once again,..... mix it, and not all the time. And some folks here are removing their cats., and O2 sensors. And most here are modded.

Last edited: