Should I buy this bike?

AcidRaiN

I'm thinking of buying this bike to get running, teaching my buddy to ride on it, then turn it into a stunter. What do you guys think? Think it's a money pit?

1994 Honda CBR-600 Sport Bike, For Parts or Whole, Bike has 60,000 miles on it. Bike currently does not run, it has been sitting since 2004 and has bad gas in the tank. I got it from my neighbor when he moved and just dont have the time or money to fix it up. Everything is there for the bike. Also has some new parts like brake shoes, fork parts etc. $350. and take it away, the ferings are worth that.

It looks stock, no scratches seen.

Let me know!

H

Hoover

Key words...DOES NOT RUN.
Run Forest run.
I wouldn't touch it with a stick. Going to be a money pit.
Unless of course you have a shit ton of time and some cash.
The demand for 94 CBR fairing parts is not that high to recoup the money you are going to spend on the fuel system alone. Bad waxy gas is a bitch to get rid of.
If it ran, sure, why not.

cpatt

thats a steal for 350. its a honda. and honda's almost never brake. id get it put fresh gas in it and a can of sea foam or techtron new plugs and crank it over a little while. if its a no start clean up the carbs. and if it still dosent start part it out on the list deff more than 350$ worth of parts.

D

DJK1505

I buy and sell bikes all day every day. I have 6 in the garage right now, those that dont run are my favorite. If you know what you are looking at, and do a good inspection you can really make out. Get the NADA value of the bike, always take the lowest option. Now you have a base number to work from, if the engine looks like there are no leaks, you can spin the engine over, look at the oil, smell the gas, do a compression check, and then start low balling them. If you have good compression, a non running bike will 99.9% of the time just need the carbs rebuilt and sync'd. Very Very Very easy to do.

The key to low balling is make sure you get the cash out instantly and start trying to put it in their hands. I just picked up a 2000 Kawasaki zr7s not running, guy had listed for 1500, i loaded it up in my truck after I put 600 cash in his hands. Had it running 30 min after I got it home, bad gas. I still need to pull the carbs off and do a good cleaning, but I will re-list the bike by thur for $1750, and let them talk me down to 1500.

If you are a descent mechanic non running bikes are fast and easy. You just have to make sure you do a very good inspection before you buy. And instantly get the manual online and start reading over your new bike.

DJ

D

DJK1505

Hoover, I hate to disagree with you but I am going to have to. A 94 cbr F3, is a very popular bike, the parts alone will tripple 350. And bad gas is extremely easy to clean out.

DJ

H

Hoover

Hoover, I hate to disagree with you but I am going to have to. A 94 cbr F3, is a very popular bike, the parts alone will tripple 350. And bad gas is extremely easy to clean out.

DJ

No probs bud, that's what forums are for ;)
However, IMHO, if you are posting the question to begin with, perhaps you are not so mechanically inclined and could be biting off more than you can chew. For sure if you are good with wrenches, anything under a grand or so is going to make you some cash. I myself have flipped a couple of bikes this way.

D

DJK1505

True that! You need to be handy with a wrench and download the manuals.

Good Luck man!