Shortened tail end

Would you shorten your tail end?

• Yeah, screw passengers

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Heck no, I already have enough skid marks on my butt

Votes: 26 59.1%

• Total voters

Guillaume

I definitely like the blue FZ1. Brings a touch of the classic cafe racer to the bike. If it were mine, I'd ditch the rear pegs, though. Why have rear pegs if the passenger's going to have to stand up all the time?

You could stash all the electrics in the hump, fab up a subframe that'd mount to the factory mounts on the main frame and keep all the factory bits to undo all of it if you chose to.

Hmm......

That's true about the footpegs, kinda dumb...

Yeah definitely wouldn't touch the OE stuff. Buying a totaled sub-frame somewhere to start with would be ideal. Seems like a little too much for me to take on right now. Damn I need a second bike I guess.

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
So this has been buggin me since it popped up and all of a sudden it hits me, I've got a spare tail and sub-frame from a work fiasco, I can just add this to the list of winter mods.

CrownRoyal79

Anything different is always going to be "beauty in the eye of the beholder" My opinion different is always good, but those earlier images not my taste. Looks like a cafe racer gone bad.

Guillaume

So this has been buggin me since it popped up and all of a sudden it hits me, I've got a spare tail and sub-frame from a work fiasco, I can just add this to the list of winter mods.

I'd love to see what you can make happen. Seems like an easy thing to mess up and a hard thing to make look good.

Anything different is always going to be "beauty in the eye of the beholder" My opinion different is always good, but those earlier images not my taste. Looks like a cafe racer gone bad.

I like your take on it. As mentioned, it's easy to mess up. Photoshop and drawing boards would be our best friends right now...

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
I'd love to see what you can make happen. Seems like an easy thing to mess up and a hard thing to make look good.

As mentioned, it's easy to mess up. Photoshop and drawing boards would be our on best friends right now...

I definitely agree, I'm gonna have to play and tweak on PS and paper a lot to begin with, I only intend to shorten not build one, I want to take it back to the painted plastic and eliminate all the textured, I like the look of our tail to an an extent and I want to keep my factory style taillight with the integrated, the trick for me is gonna be figurin out how to leave it accessible because I still want to leave my computer and such back there
:eek:

Guillaume

I definitely agree, I'm gonna have to play and tweak on PS and paper a lot to begin with, I only intend to shorten not build one, I want to take it back to the painted plastic and eliminate all the textured, I like the look of our tail to an an extent and I want to keep my factory style taillight with the integrated, the trick for me is gonna be figurin out how to leave it accessible because I still want to leave my computer and such back there
:eek:

Sounds tough to make it a simple 4 bolts remove and unplug/re-plug thing.
I wonder if I have this feeling that I want a smaller subframe because I have those thick Top Sellerie seats...

CrownRoyal79

I wonder if I have this feeling that I want a smaller subframe because I have those thick Top Sellerie seats...

That seat looks comfy as hell, definitly going to look into that one! And what that seat does is make the tail look shorty IMHO. Looks good that way!

master paper clip

Damn man with those seats your tail looks smaller already and your seats look crazy confortable, how much better then stock?

Guillaume

Still not smart enough to figure out the picture thing but this is what I'm picturing

Dude, great start!
Also, I make the pictures look big in the post because I have them hosted on my website and then put some code in there to make them look big. Now sure how else to do it.

That seat looks comfy as hell, definitly going to look into that one! And what that seat does is make the tail look shorty IMHO. Looks good that way!

Thanks, it looks a little chubby though. It is pretty comfy I must admit, and my girlfriend's butt agrees. The main advantage was that I asked for the rider seat to be raised; I'm 6'2 so my legs aren't as bent; and shortened; so that my ass fit right in between the tank and the rear ledge, and the passenger can hug me without sitting in between both seats.

Damn man with those seats your tail looks smaller already and your seats look crazy confortable, how much better then stock?

I thought the OE seat was pretty comfy already but this definitely is better. As said above, I made it mostly for the passenger's comfort.

Top Sellerie makes them, (they are not cheap...).

Jason3791

My project begins

Just a mock up. Custom seat, exhaust, clip ons, and pretty much everything else to come. It is just my style.... I can't just leave things alone. I get razzed every time I do this LOL but it is now my trademark. Last one was a Z1000. Just thought I would throw it up here since it is the topic of discussion.

B

bren

Now we're talking.
Check this one out, it's an FZ1 but the style is going in the right direction (click on the pictures to go to the article):

Here are 2 mod Suzuki's, a good one:

And a bad one...

dont like the blue FZ1 tail... looks like the hyabusa- one very ugly bike lol

master paper clip

Just a mock up. Custom seat, exhaust, clip ons, and pretty much everything else to come. It is just my style.... I can't just leave things alone. I get razzed every time I do this LOL but it is now my trademark. Last one was a Z1000. Just thought I would throw it up here since it is the topic of discussion.

That don't look bad at all, just need a little bit of a tail, looks kinda off with just the seat, but good work keep it posted

Guillaume

Ha, I totally missed that post. That's awesome, definitely more towards the styling I was originally talking about.

Jason3791

Just an update for anyone that was interested. Have not got as far as planned but it is power on now..... gotta get it finished.