Shifting Issues

Jonathan15

First time posting,n eed some help. Almost 2 years with my '13 fz8 and I'm having shifting problems.

When I start the bike its in neutral. When I shift from 1st gear to second gear there are no issues. When trying to move into 3rd, the shitfter doesn't do anything as I pull upwards. I'm able to shift back down, but again can't get into 3rd. I can kind of play with the shifter and push it halfway down and back up, then it pops into 3rd. Now the weirdest part is that I can downshift to second. But not down into neutral as if I'm coming to a stop. I can only get there if I work the shifter 1/2 way up then down (like I did before) to pop it into neutral. This can go on and on into 6th gear. After riding it for 15 miles or so it has gotten harder to shift. I now have to pull/push pretty hard to get it into the next gear.

I tried my best to explain. Has anyone had this sort of issue? I've looked around and people mention oil changes which I've just done a few weeks ago and a "return spring". I want to see what I can do before I bring it somewhere.

slowkey

I had the same issue after I changed oil to royal purple 10 w 40 full syn. Went back to yami lube 20 w 50 and havent had a problem since

Jonathan15

Thanks, I ended up just taking the shifter assembly apart last night, cleaning it up and regreasing. It was pretty gummed up with crap. Feels brand new now. Although slowkey, I have been reading into the oil fix. Check out this link, All About Motor Oil , There's a lot to be said. But it gives good information and I think I'll be using different oil at my next change.

Thanks for the help.