Shad Seat Installed Pics and Review

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
I received my Shad seat today and the install was simple. Just a couple of pieces of hardware have to be switched from the stock seats to the Shad seats and it fits perfectly. I posted a review of my first weekend riding with it on in the second post below.

It also came with the following directions:

Last edited:

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Review added 6/3/13

On Saturday, my dad and I took a ride up in Pennsylvania around the Susquehanna River bend. Beautiful area by the way, although some of the riders up there are nuts not wearing helmets. Pennsylvania doesn't have a helmet law, seems ridiculous to me, but to each there own.

On to my review....initially when you first sit down its different, there is more area to sit on, its actually firmer than the stock seat, but it feels like you are sitting in a flat seat as opposed to straddling a horse saddle with the stock seat. It positions you towards the back of the seat and you don't feel like you are straddling the tank so much with the stock seat. Saturday's ride was around 90 miles or so. I was very comfortable for the majority of the trip. I felt a slight discomfort around 60 miles of straight riding, but that strangely went away towards the end of the ride. With it being a new seat, I would imagine it has a little bit of a break in period. At the end of the ride, I had no butt pain whatsoever though. With the stock seat, I could ride 30 miles and my butt would be asleep and be uncomfortable even after getting off the bike.

On Sunday, I rode again for about 70 miles and it was pretty smooth the whole way. No pain, no discomfort after riding. I think this seat is going to make riding much more enjoyable the more I ride. I would say the biggest difference (aside from no butt pain) is just feeling like your sitting on a flat surface with just enough cushion. You don't slide around and have to adjust yourself like you do with the stock seat. I personally think this is a huge improvement from the stock seat. As I put some more miles on the seat I will add some more feedback for you guys. I do highly recommend this seat. The quality of the Shad seat is top notch and it installs exactly like the stock seat does.

Last edited:

[]V[]addog

I love the look. I'm very interested in the passenger seat comfort as well. Still seems a bit sloped forward. But not as much.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Where did you order from?

I ordered it a Shad accessories eBay store, but that particular store ran out of seats on that particular auction, so Shad ended up contacting me and having a seat sent directly to my address from their Spain factory. Great customer service on their part.

Here are a few links to their FZ8 seat.

Information Page:
Seats - Shad - Freedom to move

Buy Shad Seat in US:
SHAD Style Seat Yamaha FZ8

Amazon (Black with Grey Lettering Only):
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/SHAD-COMFORT-Seat-Yamaha-FZ8/dp/B009RUZKAE]Amazon.com: SHAD COMFORT Seat for Yamaha FZ8: Everything Else[/ame]

mckshred

Great upgrade

Review added 6/3/13
On to my review....initially when you first sit down its different, there is more area to sit on, its actually firmer than the stock seat, but it feels like you are sitting in a flat seat as opposed to straddling a horse saddle with the stock seat. It positions you towards the back of the seat and you don't feel like you are straddling the tank so much with the stock seat. Saturday's ride was around 90 miles or so. I was very comfortable for the majority of the trip. I felt a slight discomfort around 60 miles of straight riding, but that strangely went away towards the end of the ride. With it being a new seat, I would imagine it has a little bit of a break in period. At the end of the ride, I had no butt pain whatsoever though. With the stock seat, I could ride 30 miles and my butt would be asleep and be uncomfortable even after getting off the bike.

On Sunday, I rode again for about 70 miles and it was pretty smooth the whole way. No pain, no discomfort after riding. I think this seat is going to make riding much more enjoyable the more I ride. I would say the biggest difference (aside from no butt pain) is just feeling like your sitting on a flat surface with just enough cushion. You don't slide around and have to adjust yourself like you do with the stock seat. I personally think this is a huge improvement from the stock seat. As I put some more miles on the seat I will add some more feedback for you guys. I do highly recommend this seat. The quality of the Shad seat is top notch and it installs exactly like the stock seat does.

Good review. I agree on all points and will add my 2 cents if ok.
I have had my Shad seat for a about 3000 miles now and it's holding up perfectly. I haven't ridden in much foul weather, but definitely some heat (+100 degrees). It feels the same as it did when new. My position is the same and the padding feels firm. There may have been a break-in period, but I really didn't notice one. So far, I've taken multiple rides for extended saddle time. The longest one of 350+miles/8+ hours with quick fuel stops and I didn't even think about my seat (except to swap back to the original seat on Track Days :) ) Definitely an upgrade worth doing.

Shanerc34

How much was that particular seat? 399? Looks great ! I really need to get a new seat... My ass killed after this summer lol

DaKow

All the Saddlesores
Looks like Ill be ordering one of these soon for my commute to work, how long did it take to receive the seat?

When I ordered it, I got it in 4 days. The turn-around was commendable. I don't use the back seat anymore, (the girly doesn't care about the moto) but the front seat is much grippier and more comfortable. And, the looks are fantastic.