Serious helmet question

master paper clip

So how high of a drop is to high... Like on a body scale kness, waist, chest.... What height of a drop would u say is dangerous to continue to use... I have an icon variant and my girl accidentally dropped it straight onto the peak, made a horrible noise like a hallow thunk... She was holding it probably a little higher then my waist... I can notice a gap between the helmet and peak that I didn't notice before and it is a little bit looser in some areas on the peak... Speedy responses greatly appreciated cause its my only lid and my bike is my only mode of transportation at the moment... Public transport isn't an option cause I don't live near it.

RoadKill

i would say ride with it now but go ahead and order a new one. an expensive accident. try to be more careful in the future.

Rotaryknight

Yea, I'd say ride with it.
As long as you dont see any cracks on the outside. You can ask Icon to see if they do a helmet inspection, they will probably xray it to look for cracks in the outershell. The outershell is what holds in the absorbing foam inside the helmet. If the outershell has a crack, during a crash it will not hold the foam at its best and the kinetic absorbsion will be low.

Helmets are designed to survive drops and scrapes with a head in it, there isnt much kinetic energy to transfer if its just a helmet dropping. I had an old HJC helmet which was flung up into the air about 10-15 feet and landed back down on the side and bounced a couple of times. Sent helmet to HJC and they see no fault.

just look for any type of cracks on the shell. if there isnt any identifiable one, wear it. If it worries you, replace it.

If the helmet manufacturers make a helmet that wont survive a 5 feet drop they wouldnt be in buisness for long. I am pretty sure they have many stringent test done on a helmet with no loaded head in it.

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Mine fell off of my bike when it was idling......
First helmet drop EVER......
Shopping for a new one as we speak.....
:mad:

F

fz8kansas

That DOT sticker on the back does not just get stuck on there for looks. They drop a 10 pound weight that is pointed on the helmet from 10 feet up. It has to survive that and a few other other shapes too. If the outer shell is intact than I would use it. The add-on parts may have absorbed the shock of the impact and that is why it is loose or moved.

master paper clip

I was just concerned because I the awful noise it made, wasn't just a dropped helmet sound it sounded like a cracked egg when it hit, hurt inside... I don't se anything but she agreed better safe then sorry... So she bought me a new one

I'm gonna take another look at my variant and if its not to much get it x-rayed... Always been tought never take Chances with your head. That noise just really worried me

master paper clip

That DOT sticker on the back does not just get stuck on there for looks. They drop a 10 pound weight that is pointed on the helmet from 10 feet up. It has to survive that and a few other other shapes too. If the outer shell is intact than I would use it. The add-on parts may have absorbed the shock of the impact and that is why it is loose or moved.

Gotta remember those test aren't done on an empty helmet though, they have a dummy head inside to fill the helmet, helmets aren't designed to take a hit or drop while empty at least this is what I've been taught, could be wrong but piece of mind is worth every penny to me

97audia4

Gotta remember those test aren't done on an empty helmet though, they have a dummy head inside to fill the helmet, helmets aren't designed to take a hit or drop while empty at least this is what I've been taught, could be wrong but piece of mind is worth every penny to me

Good call, you never can tell if the hard foam inside is cracked either.