san antonio FZ8 squid sighting

villhelmromero

I was headed westbound on I10. you were headed eastbound. around woodlawn. at least you had a helmet on. unfortunately basketball shorts won't help if you go down.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
It wasn't me. I don't mean to be obtuse, but if I can be candid, I feel like this kind of thread isn't particularly helpful or meaningful. I think you have every right to put it up, and I applaud you for doing so.

But either the guy is on here, and you've make him feel like crap for which he doesn't respond. OR he's on here and he feels that he has to explain himself, thereby also making him feel like crap. OR worst case, he's not on here, and you've called out and shamed some random stranger on a forum, for which he'll never see it. Either way, he didn't DO anything to you.

Education is one thing, but shaming people into doing things is a whole other issue even if it is for his own good.

As a suggestion, you're better off putting an anti-squid sticker on your bike for every squid you see, rather than start a new thread to call him out. (Just my opinion). OR you could start ask a mod to start a sightings sticky and put all your sightings in there.

cambo

Avid Rider
lolol oh nooooo, not only an fz8 sighting...but an fz8 squid sighting noooo

haha...i love how you write this to make it sound like a craigslist missed connections ad....not that I check this section hourly...to see if...anyone missed a...connection with me...or anything...ahem...

ah man I've been squidding it up so much lately it's not even funny. this heat is killing me! But I know I need to stop. I even ordered a white mesh icon jacket in a size up to help with the heat wave. Just waiting on it to arrive. All I've got are black, form fitting jackets. Really becomes a b*tch to put on when you've got sweaty a** arms...which makes me ditch the jacket altogether.

btw, I'm not the squid the OP saw. I'm squidding it up in Maryland.

Last edited:

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Haha, me too. I'm never on craigslist missed connections...:cough:

I wrote my angry response, cuz every time I squid it up, I feel people's judgmental thoughts on me. Jerks.

cambo

Avid Rider
Haha, me too. I'm never on craigslist missed connections...:cough:

I wrote my angry response, cuz every time I squid it up, I feel people's judgmental thoughts on me. Jerks.

hahah yeah me too man! I'm like, "God I hope I don't see any other 8 riders...other bikers can judge me...but I couldn't deal with the shame if forum members saw me" lmao!

and then I'm such a hyporcrite...whenever I do have my gear on, and I see a squid, I'm like, "pfft...squid" lmao, wtf is wrong with me I'm such a douche.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Dude when I lived in Mexicali I went to the store a lot with no helmet. I dunno, to each their own I guess. I wear jeans a lot and those also do nothing against pavement. Also. The other day, I rode down by he street and back in sandals.

Sometimes I just like to live on the edge. In sandals.

No mames wuey

cambo

Avid Rider
hahaha, haven't yet gone down to sandals...alllmoooost decided to ride in five fingers, but believe it or not I'm still getting used to shifting lol so...until it's second nature...high tops at the minimum for me!

My justification if anything happens to me: I'm already ugly, skins already f*cked up from horrible eczema and bad genetics in general...the addition of road rash won't really hurt my feelings lol.

villhelmromero

well this thread escalated quickly lol. I wasn't trying to bash the guy or shame him. I'm just sayin wearing shorts really is a horrible idea. especially in San Antonio with how crazy the traffic gets. people don't pay attention here and 90% are on thier phones. maybe whoever it was that I saw doesn't know what kind of damage can come to your body without proper protection. I've gone down with jeans on. and even with my jeans on my legs got really messed up. especially my left knee that hit the pavement first. if whoever it was is a forum member I meant no disrespect at all.

9 Lives

well this thread escalated quickly lol. I wasn't trying to bash the guy or shame him. I'm just sayin wearing shorts really is a horrible idea. especially in San Antonio with how crazy the traffic gets. people don't pay attention here and 90% are on thier phones. maybe whoever it was that I saw doesn't know what kind of damage can come to your body without proper protection. I've gone down with jeans on. and even with my jeans on my legs got really messed up. especially my left knee that hit the pavement first. if whoever it was is a forum member I meant no disrespect at all.

To each his own, when I read the term "squid" for the first time I thought what a derogatory name to call someone but apparently its regularly used to describe someone who doesn't wear all the safety gear. I personally would take offense to someone calling me a squid. Anyway its his life and his pain and suffering if he wipes out, I see all kind of guys wearing t shirts and shorts riding their bike and I don't give it a second thought. They will do what they want no matter what I think and frankly its none of my business anyway. As long as your not putting my safety in jeopardy I don't care what your wear. Its the riders who ride erratically with no concern for others safety that we should be complaining about.

Brian_nyk

I think everyone squids up every now and then. I did today riding to work so dont hate if you see me in NJ :)

I tried shifting wearing my five fingers in the driveway. It felt way to strange to even try on the road.

villhelmromero

Basketball shorts move around too much on a bike for me. Saw this linked to me by another rider about gear. Just helps put things in perspective!

How much are you actually worth - YouTube

It's funny that you put this video up. I was recently doing some research and found out why Texas allows people 21 and over to not have to wear helmets. huge increase in organ donations. huge. the thing is that lawmakers passed that law specifically for increased organ donations. creepy. that being said I am an organ donor myself because I'm definitely not going to need them when I'm dead. but in the meantime they are my organs and I'm going to try and keep them as long as I can.

JSP

Administrator
To each his own, when I read the term "squid" for the first time I thought what a derogatory name to call someone but apparently its regularly used to describe someone who doesn't wear all the safety gear. I personally would take offense to someone calling me a squid. Anyway its his life and his pain and suffering if he wipes out, I see all kind of guys wearing t shirts and shorts riding their bike and I don't give it a second thought. They will do what they want no matter what I think and frankly its none of my business anyway. As long as your not putting my safety in jeopardy I don't care what your wear. Its the riders who ride erratically with no concern for others safety that we should be complaining about.

Higher insurance rates are a reason... Higher medical rates... The more insurance has to pay out to irresponsible people, the more we all end up paying. Then the whole mental thing of coming up on someone in a wreck that had no gear on. I really want myself or my kid seeing that. Some of those images may never leave you.

Heck they may just end up banning motorcycles all together if it gets too bad...

Either way, we preach and joke, etc because we do actually care. If it gets even one person to change their mind and start wearing gear, then its worth it. On the 6R site we have converted quite a lot of riders.

If new riders coming in see people saying no big deal to not wear gear, they will think so too. But if we all condone gear and preach it, they will see its really NOT cool to go without gear. No real reason to not wear it. It benefits us all in so many ways.

Just say no to: :squid:

;)

cambo

Avid Rider
Yeah Jay's right, I don't mean to make light of not wearing gear or anything. I definitely agree that it's important and I'm disappointed that I'm not a better advocate of it, especially considering my 'noobness' and the fact that I've got a family that depends on me. I honestly do feel a bit ashamed of myself when I take to the road without gearing up like I should. Really don't have an excuse other than...I'm an idiot.

Going a couple miles to the store or gym...I don't mind or think too much of it. But when I go around the capital beltway in no gear...man, there's a ton of times I'm shaking my head like wtf is wrong with me.

I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be very many riders on the road these days. Is it because it's way too hot and the experienced riders refuse to ride if it's too hot to gear up? Perhaps I should follow suit: "If it's too hot to gear up, it's too hot to ride." The heat is the sole reason I decide to ditch the jacket and heavy kevlar jeans.

Tango59

I try to educate riders when I'm on duty. I'm nice about it and explain that I ride too but have seen too many riders hurt, when using gear might have made a difference. I'm guilty myself of not wearing a jacket sometimes when the heat hits the upper 90's. Bout lost a toenail once wearing flip flops riding to a beach. Ouch

SD70M2

Drag-Strip addict
As has been said, and I'm not trying to :deadhorse: but, we'll all do it at some point big or small. I'm a gear pusher from coming out of a gnarly wreck fairly unscathed because of my gear and I still regularly wear normal old blue jeans and I'll roll up my shirt sleeves instead of grabbin my jacket, heck I even run out to the farm with my dome tannin from time to time but, I do like my gear more often than not.