Safe bike transportation.

H

Hoover

Guys, I just answered a post on the FZ1 site about how to safely tie down a bike. As most of you know, I was a 30 year veteran of the towing industry so I feel qualified to offer up what I think is the best way.
I am going to copy/paste it in the next post.

Hope it is of some help

H

Hoover

Allow me to weigh in here guys.

I have over 30 years in the towing industry and am certified in all aspects of vehicle towing and recovery.
I have towed literally hundreds of motorcycles over my career, of all makes, models and styles. Please understand that what I am about to tell you is not the only way to secure a bike, but it is, in my profesional opinion, the best way.

Firstly, you should, at all costs, use some kind of stop, be it a chock, a block of wood, the front of a truck bed/trailer etc. This is critical as it elliminates one form of motion that your bike is going to experience.

Next, using either "soft ties"( loops) a bar harness( canyon dancer etc) or a good quality strap with a hook that will hook back on itself, attach to your handle bars or triple tree, as high as you can without fouling bodywork.

Next, losely attach your ratchet straps to your chosen tie down and the tie down points on your truck/trailer.

Then, whilst sitting on the bike,with it on its side stand, tighten up the left(clutch) side ratchet untill it is snug. Not tight.

Then, simultaniously, stand the bike upright and reach over to the right side and start to tighten the ratchet on that side to match the tension on the left. As you stand the bike up, the left fork will start to compress and the right one will follow as you tighten the ratchet on that side.

Once the bike is level, I like to give both ratchets, just a quick snug to ensure they are level and the forks are compressed about 1/3 to 1/2 their travel.

The bike will now be off its stand and secure...go ahead and shake it, I guarantee your truck or trailer will shake!

Now, this is where I will get some people to disagree with me.

For the rear tie downs, Using soft ties or straps with hooks, hook onto a secure part of the rear structure of your bilke. Foot pegs(if high enough), frame rail, grab handles etc. With your ratchet straps hooked up, secure them FORWARD to a suitable tie down on your truck or trailer.

I you all yelling, WHY?

Simple. why would you use the rear straps to pull against the securing action of the front ones and the chock? It just doesnt make sense. The rear straps need to work in conjunction with the fronts and secure the rear of the bike to stop it hopping around when you hit bumps, RR crossings, potholes etc.

I have used this method for years with not a single failure. Even when a front ratchet failed on me, the bike stayed upright due to the rear straps and the chock.

Using this method does take a bit of practice, but it does eliminate the need for help when tying a bike down.

Hope this helps you all out.

One more thing, I checked these out at the Chicago Bike Show last week and can tell you, I liked them a lot. A better alternative to the Canyon Dancer, which I have used for years. They do not pull down on the ends, more in the middle and give a much more secure grip.

I have some on order.

Kafé Tie Down Clamp

cambo

Avid Rider
thanks for the post Hoover! I JUST ordered a motorcycle ramp for my truck so this knowledge is invaluable for the future trips. I definitely would've tied the rear down to the rear hooks.

D

DJK1505

Thank you hoover. I have always tied it down quite similar to your suggestions on the front, but did exactly what you say not to do for the rear. I like your reasoning behind why you pull the rear forward also. I will def be changing the way I strap my bikes down from this point forward.

DJ

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would post here and see if anyone had used this particular product that I found. I am going to be transporting my FZ8 about 700 miles round trip using a uhaul motorcycle trailer with a ramp. Here is the product.

High Roller Handlebar Harness - Superstore - Motorcycle Superstore

My plan is to use my rear wheel stand just to keep the bike upright and then use this hardness secure it from moving. I am going to head to Lowes and get some ratchet tie downs for the 4 corners.

This harness has really good reviews. I am am going to try it out.

Bajaedition

I think the administrators should sticky this thread
maybe we should have a forum for just sticked threads with this kind of quality advice

top rate

thanks

Gary

When I transported my Honda XR650 I used the rear passenger foot peg as a tie off point. I tightened it up really well. When I got to my destination the passenger foot peg had torn away from the frame. I had to get the peg welded back in place. Now I put the strap through the back wheel and tighten it up. Is that acceptable for the FZ8. I will be taking it on a trip in July.

tzortn

Pillion
I used the rear foot peg mount to secure my bike when i went to Deals Gap. I used a soft strap to go around the mount up high then went forward with a ratchet strap. I used it to secure the bike from moving forwards and backwards.I tied to the upper rail below the eat to go down and out to prevent side to side movement.

I think that if you pulled out from the pegs mounts you could overload it if you are not careful, especially if you are pulling low.

hutru01

Knights of Columbus
Pics of my bike strapped down with the High Roller Handlebar Harness. She isn't going anywhere.