Rusty Gas Tank

crspangenberg

Gentlemen I purchased my FZ8 on November 16th 2011 I just took it in for its first service on December 31st 2011, I noticed that the gas tanks has developed quite a bit of rust on the bracket located in front of the seat where it is spot welded to the tank.

We are taking the bike back to the dealership next Thursday to try and get the tanked replaced under warranty, I suggest you check your tank for signs of rust as well as this could be a design flaw on Yamaha's part. I will post pictures of the rust soon.

The rust has eaten into the paint as well.

Has anyone else expirienced rust on their tank?:confused:

hypo

I noticed some discoloration on the tank vent INSIDE the hole, but thought nothing of it... DEFINITELY POST PICTURES!! I want to see this rust!

D

Deleted member 438

Gentlemen I purchased my FZ8 on November 16th 2011 I just took it in for its first service on December 31st 2011, I noticed that the gas tanks has developed quite a bit of rust on the bracket located in front of the seat where it is spot welded to the tank.

We are taking the bike back to the dealership next Thursday to try and get the tanked replaced under warranty, I suggest you check your tank for signs of rust as well as this could be a design flaw on Yamaha's part. I will post pictures of the rust soon.

The rust has eaten into the paint as well.

Has anyone else expirienced rust on their tank?:confused:

I noticed that; let us know what happens.

dubel

purchased my FZ8 on November 16th 2011 I just took it in for its first service on December 31st 2011

When was the manufacture month/year? I didn't notice anything like that on mine but I will check more carefully next time I take the seat off.

crspangenberg

Pics

Here are the pics guys.

FZ8.UK

On a Similar note

The quality of the paint finish of my White FZ on the Rear Seat unit (plastic) is dire, also on the Front plastic cover in front of the tank.

Not quite the same colour darker shade of White, Orange peel effect, and dull as if the skimped on the clear coat.

Any one else have the safe finish.

Ride Safe

H

Hoover

I have mentioned before on here about Yamaha's paint quality. It has been known for years that they have the worst paint quality of the big 4.
My tail section is scratched from me getting on and off and catching a boot tip or jean leg and my front fairing is all marked up since I switched my mirrors out and now my cover rubs against it when its windy.

Good luck in getting it warrantied, if was a betting man I would put money on that not happening.

D

Deleted member 438

One of these days I may just rattle can the whole bike satin black.

C

calscrazy

checked mine this morning. no rust for now. guess we will have to wait and see what the future holds.

hypo

what are the last 4 of your VIN? and what location did you purchase it at? I'm thinking either it was the shipment over the water or sitting in a crate in a wet place...

K-Gr.

I have mentioned before on here about Yamaha's paint quality. It has been known for years that they have the worst paint quality of the big 4.

Wait, what? All of the short and long term bike reviews I have seen stated, that Suzuki is the worst one :)

Yamaha was almost always commended for very good finish quality. Although I cannot say I can feel it when messing with my FZ... It is fine. But just that.

crspangenberg

what are the last 4 of your VIN? and what location did you purchase it at? I'm thinking either it was the shipment over the water or sitting in a crate in a wet place...

I dont have the last four of it on me right now but it was bought in Torrance and I requested the crate bike, but i have a feeling it was sitting out in the rain... :(

hypo

I dont have the last four of it on me right now but it was bought in Torrance and I requested the crate bike, but i have a feeling it was sitting out in the rain... :(

thats what I'm thinkin too. Mine was bought in Texas, built from a crate as well, but we don't get much rain here.

sorry bruddah.