Rusted headers???

ZeeKdaGreeK

I've been doing research to buy aftermarket headers and have them ceramic coated for this reason, but I'm not sure when ill have the necessary funds. In the meantime has anyone had this problem with their headers and does anyone have any cleaning techniques they would like to share?

97audia4

Yea mine are doing this as well but ill be going to arrow headers shortly. I don't clean them that well I ride my bike to much to care if its pretty.

F

fz8kansas

So your pictures got me wondering. I took a flashlight and went to the garage and looked at my headers. The area between the head and the flange is bright and shiny. BUT just ahead of the flange I have small "freckles" of rust. They are small enough to be easily cleaned off with a good polish, but it goes to show that the "stainless" steel used must be of a low grade or just a coating. I would get a picture but I currently do not have a camera that could take a good close up. There was a thread a couple of months ago that discussed cleaning the headers. I have not been able to locate it at this time.

ZeeKdaGreeK

I've actually polished my headers at least 5 times already, bring them to mirror shine and then a week later its nasty as hell again. Bike isn't stored its kept outdoors so I try and make up for it by cleaning her as much as possible but the polish I have won't work on rust like that. I'm gonna have to get a rust solvent of some sort and try and clean that area with a toothbrush or something.. I'm just wondering if this has only happened to me or if other people are experiencing this problem..

http://www.779cc.org/forum/fz8-mods/3943-aftermarket-headers.html

I'm deft gonna buy new headers and get them ceramic coated because of these rust issues. If anyone has some knowledge to pass down, please feel free to do so...

pigdog

that looks like rust from salted roads. some of your fasteners are also rusty. i would remove the headers have them sand blasted then have them powder coated.

ZeeKdaGreeK

that looks like rust from salted roads. some of your fasteners are also rusty. i would remove the headers have them sand blasted then have them powder coated.

Is it worth just having the stock headers sand blasted and then ceramic coated instead of getting new headers?? And what should I do about the fasteners?? Simply try to clean them or get new ones?

Woody146

Banned
I see your radiator guard bolts are rusted too...live near an ocean? Or salted roads...either way...wash after every ride or two..

ZeeKdaGreeK

Should have some decent weather Sat morn, I'll see what I can do cleaning her and post some pics when I'm done, hopefully I'll be able to get majority of the rust off because its just depressing seeing her like this.. I park it outdoors (daily commuter) in NY and it got caught under a lot of snow before I had a chance to move her, blame the salt on NYC garbage department.

Woody146

Banned
Do you have a cover? I picked up a heavy all weather at my local shop for under 100...has felt on inside and canvas like on outside..nothing is penitrating it.

ZeeKdaGreeK

I have a cheapest cover you have ever seen from fleabay I originally didn't think it was that important, worst lack of an investment I ever made... Guess its time to get a good one too...

Alex1985

Should have some decent weather Sat morn, I'll see what I can do cleaning her and post some pics when I'm done, hopefully I'll be able to get majority of the rust off because its just depressing seeing her like this.. I park it outdoors (daily commuter) in NY and it got caught under a lot of snow before I had a chance to move her, blame the salt on NYC garbage department.

OK you don't have a Garage ore a cover too protect your Bike from Rain, Wind, Snow and so on ?! Thats not Good:( hmmm

Luckily i have a Carport too save my Bike from these thinks.... and a cover.

My Bike stand still for 4 Months i only ride from March too end Oktober here in Germany.

But with luck you can clean your Header Pipe with a cleaner named Optiglanz !!!

Its a cleaner for Stainless Steel and ist´s a little bit toxic and aggressive !!! use Glasses and Gloves and u be fine. Don´t let it drop on the paint of the bike and use water too erase it after polish it.

Here is a Video too demonstrate that Optiglanz:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti-B0BPFvvQ"]Cleaning SV650 downpipe with Optiglanz - YouTube[/ame]

TorontoAlex

Remember the pipe is chromed. I don't think it's stainless chromed so it will rust. I used to put my old dodge through a good car wash with wax and all, and it seemed to clean up the bumper and ball hitch for a bit. I would suggest the same. Might help.

Alex1985

In my case it helped. But you have right its not exactly Stainless Steel its chromed Steel i don´t know the right type of Steel. But my header pipe was not so strong rusty. So i could clean it with this Optiglanz really easily. Its depends how strong your Header pipe is rusty. If in the first step it doesnt work good you continue too clean it and so on until it shows good results. Spray it on wait 3 Minutes and then wash it up with Water very important just like in the Video.

here is a picture from the FZ8 Forum in Germany from a member that use ist

TorontoAlex

Is it me or do those pipes look pretty scratched up? Looks like brushed nickle now. Gotta watch out with using scuff pads and all that. I'm sure they don't put the chrome on heavy these days, especially with a less expensive bike like ours.

ZeeKdaGreeK

You've actually scared me with how abrasive the cleaner might be, if you look at the pictures the rustiest spot is the top of the headers surrounded by plastic and fasteners, I'm gonna order the product online now but I fear it doing more damage than good...

Woody146

Banned
Really research a product before you buy it..especially if you are skeptical..I know there is a few other threads on here (somewhere deep lol) about same problem and there were a lot more responses...as well as other options

Alex1985

You've actually scared me with how abrasive the cleaner might be, if you look at the pictures the rustiest spot is the top of the headers surrounded by plastic and fasteners, I'm gonna order the product online now but I fear it doing more damage than good...

Yes read the Instructions before use it and you be fine and have no Problems :)

You can spay it on a cloth and wipe it on the header that is also a possibility.

I'll give you only one tip on how you can clean it with the OptiGlanz. Stay up to you ZeeKdaGreeK

Alex1985

And when your Header Pipe is completely clean then you polish it with a Steel polish too bring it to shine