Rocks thrown up from roadway- an easy fix-

rug_burn

I'm sure I'm not alone in suffering from rocks and large sand particles thrown up from the front wheel, and which usually hit me in the neck or face if my face shield is up. My face shield also shows hundreds of little nicks...
So that got me thinking- most of these probably bounce along between the front wheel and fender, and eventually get launched on an upward trajectory, where the wind does the rest of the work, and they smack me one way or the other.
It wouldn't, however, take much to just divert these rocks to the side. I was thinking about a V shaped diverter on the underside of the fender, just enough to blow the sand and rocks off to the side. There's about 1/2 inch between the tire and the fender, so there's room.
I made a diverter like this from some thick (20 mil) mylar and ductape- and it helped a lot. Almost no rocks at all. Then the creases in the mylar flattenned out, and it was less effective. It needs to be a little stronger, so I'm going to try it a different way- make one out of some of that blue silicone with the filler, the stuff in the silver tube. This stuff is not the 'vinegar' or acetic acid cure stuff, it's for manifolds and is pretty heavy bodied. The one thing is that you gotta clean the underside of the fender where the diverter goes so everything sticks, of course.

Check out the sketch, attached.

Anybody else ever try to fix this?

BIGpanda

I don't have this problem, it had never happened. The only rocks I get hit with are the ones thrown from other vehicles. I don't see how debris is getting thrown vertically at your head and maneuvering around the frame and engine bits and hitting you in the face.

rug_burn

It's the stuff coming forward off the top of the front wheel. One of my favorite roads around here, Carbon Canyon Road, has had re-paving and construction going on for a few months now with a little sand and debris, and it happens even when I'm the only vehicle on the road. My other bike has a longer front fender which deflects the rocks downward, and it never happens while riding that bike.

BIGpanda

Ohh I get it now, yeah that happens when it rains but I try not to ride over gravel and stuff soooooo yeah.