Road Trip - Crossing America on my FZ8

dbeyer

I will be crossing America on my FZ8, NY to Washington State. I plan to do the trip in 16 days riding 3 hours in the morning and then 3 hours in the late afternoon. To get ready for the trip I have been adding and moving things around on the FZ8. The good thing is nothing I have done is final, it can all be removed with just a few bolts restoring the FZ8 back to it's perfect self.

I have most of the mods listed on my blog for my trip at: Throttle Across America –-- NY to Oak Harbor Washington state.
if you want to take a look.

Let me know if you have any comments about what I have done to the bike and anything you can think of to make the trip more comfortable.

Mods Include:
- Corbin Seat - I'm 5'9" 245lbs, ok, I'm fat.
- Givi Side cases
- AddMoreLight break/tail (Did not connect the turn signals).
- Trailer Break/Tail connector for aux break - The stock like may be covered by a one gallon gas tank.
- GPS Tracking device
- Mirror extenders
- Givi Engine Guard
- Real Platform for stacking Duffel Bags
- Highway pegs (Yes they look stupid).
- LED lights up front for being seen, not to light up the road.
- Givi Wind deflector
- GPS mount
- a few other bits

Duane

dbeyer

High Res Pics of FZ8 (I shuold have washed it first).

Gotta say this has always been a dream of mine, how about a pic of the 8 with your travel set up

This is my gift to myself for making it 50 years on the planet. Only took two years to convince the wife to let me go and do this.

I have a lot more pics on my Blog at: Throttle Across America –-- NY to Oak Harbor Washington state.

Last edited:

Marthy

Nice! I did a nice 4K week ride last year and really enjoy it. I wish I had the time and fund to go around the country, ride to all 4 corners. Have a safe ride and spend all the time that you have to prepare your bike and yourself too. Look like at 6hrs a day you will take it easy. But still if you plan to pass a couple of hours a day on your ride, you need a certain level of fitness. Neck, shoulder are the part that might show sign of weakness... especially on a naked ride.

Good tune-up and fresh set of shoes before you leave is a good idea. Last thing you want to worry about is maintenance on the road. If you have Facebook or other social site (here too) post every few hours with your last location and where you will be next. If $hit hit the fan for some reason... someone should always know where you are and where you go. Safety first! I heard a few story of things going bad. Don't forget sometime cel phone are useless, no signal when you are in the middle of nowhere.

Other than that, I'm jealous! Have fun!!!!

EDIT:

Nice pics. One last recommendation. If you plan to do some riding at night, I strongly suggest you a set of auxiliary lights. No $25.00 car stuff from PepBoys (been there) They won't last and suck up too much juice... it kill the battery. There's few good LED lights that you can use. Mine are set up to aim low and wide. When I use the high beam I loose the visibility at short distance. With the Aux. lights that fill all the blind spot. I use the Rigid. 1300 luminens for 15W per side. Ya, it's bright!!!

Last edited:

dbeyer

All good points

Thanks, you have some really good points. I have been planning the trip for a couple of years. Even worked with a doctor on some strength exercises since I spend way to much time at a desk. New shoes are going on as we speak, some conti attacks 80/20. Got two cell phones (long story, but their paid for) and where their is cell service, I will be broadcasting my location with the tracking device, so the family can follow my. I also took out tire and repair insurance in the event I have to spend some time in the shop. As for night riding, not my thing. I'll do it when I have to, but my biggest fear is deer. A lot of bikes hit deer around here at after dusk, so I plan of being off the road before then (But we know how some plans go). As for the wind, no interstates. All back roads, 45/55 tops. Shoulders and my left arm are my biggest concern. In the past, they have acted up on an 11 hour ride. That's why I am doing the split 3 morning, 3 hour late afternoon. My only other concern is will I be warm enough over the Rockies. I packing for temps between 50 and 100. Mess paints and Jacket and thermal liners, three different gloves, warm weather, cold weather and rain. Have full rain gear and water proof duffel bags. If you think of anything else, drop me a note.

Thanks,
Duane

Marthy

Great! Look like you have everything covered. I have handguard on my ride. Great when the temps drop and keep 90% of the rain off my gloves.

dbeyer

Marthy, I looked up the Rigid lights, they look like a great investment. I just may order up a pair.

Thanks

good dog

Having riden across the Northern States and Provinces while crossing Canada, consider your drive/ride times. I have experienced traffic congestion that has added substantial time delays that could cause issues with reservations. Not only check daily that you have a reservation that day, if you are going this route (wifi hotspots are great for this) make sure the reservation is open as far as check-in times. I got to one motel after 8 pm (expected 5-6pm) only to find without confirmation that I'd be running late, they don't hold reservations unless a deposit is held in advance after 2 hours (so check the policy). This was a major chain motel and they did find me another place, there just happened to be something big going on in the city that weekend, it happens.

What was suggested to me on a Sport Touring forum (I had a BMW 1150RT at the time) was if I was planning on doing a 6 hour ride you'd want to avoid afternoon traffic as well as some morning. Starting after 9am you beat the 9-5'ers traffic patterns and have less to deal with. It's not that easy to get on the highway and have no worries about traffic, but by leaving after 9 you'll beat a lot of it. Drive/ride 2-3+/- hours and maybe plan a destination stop for lunch or visit a scenic vista or local landmark (1-2 hour break?) Eat healthy **. Drive/ride a few more hours, hopefully finishing before 4pm. At that time you are getting into afternoon traffic patterns that even when on the open highway slows things done, but much worse if you happen to be riding through or on the outskirts of cities and large towns. By getting to where you are going to sleep before 4pm you'll have time to refresh yourself with a shower and/or nap, check out places to grab a bite (hotel/motel staff can help or stick to the chains) maybe even grab some of the local night-life
before getting a good nights sleep.

Eat healthy** Fiber is your friend, keep regular. Nothing is worse than getting constipated, especially on a bike. Your body adapts easily to being regular (taking dumps) but will benefit from fiber (do I sound like a Doctor?), so try to get in the routine of cleansing ones-self before you get on the bike in the morning. Motels/hotels that offer breakfast will often have the small boxes and you can either pack an extra away or ask, but even having a box without milk and washing it down with a beverage at night, works like a charm in the morning. Like I said your body is great at adapting to a routine you control. Nothing is worse than getting those cramps while riding or driving that tell you, I gotta' take a s*** right now, not later, now! This applies to all ages (we're of similar vintage). It's easy to 'drain the dragon' at the side of the road, the other not so convenient. Pack half a roll of TP and flatten it, throw it in a zip-lock bag and it stays dry. You may never use it, but if you do, you'll be glad you packed it.

Bet you weren't thinking about some of this, were you? Add http://www.treds.com/products/waterproof-motorcycle-rain-boot/ or similar, these roll up really small

Just my 5 cents worth, now that Canada has gotten rid of the penny.

Last edited:

Marthy

Marthy, I looked up the Rigid lights, they look like a great investment. I just may order up a pair.

Thanks

Bang for the $$$ they are awesome. A bit bulky but I dont care. At least they work all the time. I did a lot of looking around and some if the bike lights out there are a hit or miss with average review.

I got the flod ones. The hight beam work just fine to light up far. I have mine mounted on the front fork but in your case the side bar is the perfect place. I made a thread on the fz6r forum. Im on my phone now...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

dbeyer

Thanks "good dog"

I have to say, that is all great information. One thing I have been able to do over the past two years is read a lot of books about taking the trip of a life time. However, you are the first one to bring up the fiber topic. I do plan to bring a roll in my side bag. I also have a bag of medications for everything from Allergies, rashes, anti-acids to the other concern with the back end - including Tucks pads and Imodium. I have also taking all of these before and have no concerns with operating the bike while taking something.

As for hotels/motels. I have not made any reservations and I get mixed responses from folks. Yellowstone is the one area where this may be a mistake and I may have to do something in advance. As for the rest of the stops, they are in small towns so I don't expect it to be an issue.

In one book I read a great idea. Pack a cheap sleeping bag, the $15.00 Kmart type. Find cheap hotels/motels and sleep on top of the bed in the bag. After a week, toss the sleeping bag and pickup a new one at another Kmart. I also read that if you can fit the bike in the door of your room, park it inside to room to prevent it from growing legs.

I am also not making any arrangements to get back east until the last min. I have a shipper for my bike to get it back to NY, only going one way, and they have no restrictions on when you drop it off. As for the flight home, I'll get that the day I depart.

Since I am going into Canada, I have got copies of my motorcycle insurance in french on non-resident Canada approved insurance cards. I also will travel with a enhanced NYS License that is valid for border crossing into Canada.

You guys have given me a lot of good input, I appreciate that. It's always good to learn from folks who have who been there and done that. Thanks for all the input.

Duane

good dog

Outside of the Province of Quebec, the need for French is pretty much non-existant across the rest of Canada, but a nice gesture.
Add a bottle of Visine or similar eye wash to your kit bag. Even with a full face, it's guaranteed something will get in your eye, requiring a rinse.

Larry P

Hey dbeyer, good luck on your trip! I'm also looking to do something like this one day when I have 2 weeks to do it. Some of my inspiration was from joe250.com and his adventures on another naked sportster. His story was a lot of fun to read and he had some good advice about planning for accommodations and such.

Bajaedition

the bike looks well set up
and forget the looks of the hwy pegs, you will like them on the long haul days they will be a well thought out touch.
Good luck and post up pics

Harrywz

I have to say, that is all great information. One thing I have been able to do over the past two years is read a lot of books about taking the trip of a life time. However, you are the first one to bring up the fiber topic. I do plan to bring a roll in my side bag. I also have a bag of medications for everything from Allergies, rashes, anti-acids to the other concern with the back end - including Tucks pads and Imodium. I have also taking all of these before and have no concerns with operating the bike while taking something.

As for hotels/motels. I have not made any reservations and I get mixed responses from folks. Yellowstone is the one area where this may be a mistake and I may have to do something in advance. As for the rest of the stops, they are in small towns so I don't expect it to be an issue.

In one book I read a great idea. Pack a cheap sleeping bag, the $15.00 Kmart type. Find cheap hotels/motels and sleep on top of the bed in the bag. After a week, toss the sleeping bag and pickup a new one at another Kmart. I also read that if you can fit the bike in the door of your room, park it inside to room to prevent it from growing legs.

I am also not making any arrangements to get back east until the last min. I have a shipper for my bike to get it back to NY, only going one way, and they have no restrictions on when you drop it off. As for the flight home, I'll get that the day I depart.

Since I am going into Canada, I have got copies of my motorcycle insurance in french on non-resident Canada approved insurance cards. I also will travel with a enhanced NYS License that is valid for border crossing into Canada.

You guys have given me a lot of good input, I appreciate that. It's always good to learn from folks who have who been there and done that. Thanks for all the input.

Duane

Where will you travelling in Canada? You probably won't be showing the insurance documents unless something happens.

dbeyer

You guys are awesome

I will enter Canada at Niagara Falls, going up over the top of the great lakes and re-enter the US in Duluth, Minnesota.

>>"Outside of the Province of Quebec, the need for French is pretty much non-existant across the rest of Canada, but a nice gesture."

When I called my insurance company, they said they had the bilingual cards for folks traveling to Canada, so they came that way. I wanted to be sure my insurance covered me in Canada just in case.

Having a family and 2 little ones, 12 and 7, (ok, not that little) I sometimes get a bit over cautious. So I have checked all my policies to make sure I was covered in Canada.

Eye wash/drop - excellent addition. Thanks.

good dog

Good on your insurance company. With NY bordering Quebec, that's a good reason to have it available for travelers. We're not all bilingual, but it is recognized as an official language of Canada alongside English.

Harrywz

I will enter Canada at Niagara Falls, going up over the top of the great lakes and re-enter the US in Duluth, Minnesota.

>>"Outside of the Province of Quebec, the need for French is pretty much non-existant across the rest of Canada, but a nice gesture."

When I called my insurance company, they said they had the bilingual cards for folks traveling to Canada, so they came that way. I wanted to be sure my insurance covered me in Canada just in case.

Having a family and 2 little ones, 12 and 7, (ok, not that little) I sometimes get a bit over cautious. So I have checked all my policies to make sure I was covered in Canada.

Eye wash/drop - excellent addition. Thanks.

That sounds great. I don't know if it was mentioned earlier and if it was, sorry to be redundant but a nice thing to carry is wet naps. These are really good for wiping the bugs from your visor. As well, we have a chain of coffee shops (they have some in the states as well) Tim Hortons...coffee is always fresh, free Wi-Fi (just have to fill an authorization form). A lot of these are co-joined with Wendys and Mcdonalds has free Wi-Fi as well. Saves on data charges when stopping for the cause ;)

dbeyer

You guys are great. Based on your input I have removed the $20 LED lights I had on the bike and added a set of Rigid Industries LED lights. These lights are amazing, they only draw 20 watts each and they are much brighter then my highbeam.

To mount them I needed to reposition the horn a little, I moved it more to the center. Next I mounted the lights just below the front headlight.

Yes, the right light is pointed out to the side. I do this for two reasons.
1) It helps cars that are on side streets see you better.
2) It give me 1/1000 of a second more time to see a deer just as it jumps out.
Honestly, since I do need to ride at night now and then, and since NYS has cut back on cutting the grass along the side of the road, it does help with critters in the brush.

What really impressed me with these lights are not only how bright they are, but that they say cool to the touch. Also, the quick disconnects they provide are weatherproof. The mounting hardware us simple, but sufficient.

The weatherproof quick disconnects.

Thanks again folks for all your input - it has been very helpful.

Duane

cambo

Avid Rider
those rigid industries lights are out of this world bright. I eventually want to get a pair for my bike AND truck lol, but geesus they're the most expensive thing out there!

enjoy the trip, be safe!