Ringing noise when riding

noodle

Greetings all,

First, I just got my FZ8 a few weeks ago and love it. Ive got about 900 miles on it and it rocks!

Recently, I have noticed a ringing noise while riding. The noise occurs when in gear and on the throttle. The noise starts at about 4k rpms and is very faint. by the time you hit about 5.5 - 6k rpms, the noise is very distinct.

If i let off the throttle, the noise goes away. Barely touching the throttle brings it back. It does not have the same noise when the clutch is in or the bike is in neutral at the same RPMs.

Any thoughts? Should I be worried about this?

alexk

Weekend Rider
Mine does this on and off, and I'm convinced it has something to do with the brakes - it's more noticeable with speed, but wind and engine noise can drown it out and make it seem RPM based.

Mine stops ringing for quite a while if I squeeze the brake lever - found that out day 2 of riding my '13.

Does yours behave the same way?

noodle

Rotaryknight:
Using 93 Octane.

alexk:
I dont think its the brakes. It only does it if im currently applying the throttle. If it were the brakes, i would assume it to be there constantly, with or without throttle. I just got done riding and played with the brakes a little and did not hear the noise.

noodle

Adding to the mystery, it appears it only makes the noise after the engine is above 180 degrees. Im going to take it into the dealership this weekend and see what they say about it. Will post the results.

iheart2drift

I have the exact same thing!!

Mine however is at 3000 RPM. It comes in whether the bike is in neutral or in gear. It actually doesn't matter what gear it is but it is always at exactly ~3000 RPM.

I think I've gotten the noise in some video so I may post a link to a YouTube video if you guys wanna hear it.

I also recently had the 20,000 km major service done at a shop. They went over everything on the bike and made sure it was perfect for me.

Tango59

Mine makes a funny noise to but I attribute that to a wind whistle in the bug shield/mini fairing. I've had several bikes to do that. Hear the noise and move a free hand in front of the fairing or use masking tape to see if noise changes..

noodle

I get a noise from the fairing as well. That is a separate noise, more of a buzzing noise. The ringing is very clear. Its like ringing noise from taking a spoon and circling around a bowl with it. (eating oatmeal this morning and realized its a similar noise).

noodle

nope! thats why i started the post lol. im going to see my dealership about it this weekend.

found out my coworker has the same bike and has that noise as well. someone told him it has something to do with a valve that is opening up. not sure what that could mean.

RoadKill

maybe you can get the torque wrench out and start torquing every bolt to spec.
it sounds like something loose and rattling to me.

xXAvroArrowXx

maybe you can get the torque wrench out and start torquing every bolt to spec.
it sounds like something loose and rattling to me.

+1 big time. My buddy's 2012 ER-6n made the exact same noise suddenly one day. We trouble shot it in a parking lot to a 02 sensor bung that rattled loose. I'm going to put my money on loose bolt somewhere. Get a buddy to help you isolate it and find the offender.