Respect the bike, Don't fear it

Nstr_FZ8

We've all heard it and we all know its true. But I started thinking about this yesterday after talking with this guy at a bar. He was telling me all his stories about how he scaped from the cops a couple times, lane-splits (in South-FL=suicide), cuts other cars and such.
Anyways, I told him how I wouldn't dare to ride that way. And he responded that I shouldn't be afraid. That "You should respect the bike, not fear it."
Afterwards it started raining and this guy took off doing a wheelie on the wet pavement.

I inmediately thought this guy clearly doesn't know the meaning of the word "Respect" .... Or maybe he does and Im just a ****ing pussy.

Idk i wanna hear what you guys think...

JSP

Administrator
Yeah, he may be confusing what "respect" means... seems he was not showing any such thing haha.

Don't take notes from that guy! :D

n00b

Avid Rider
eh, if he can do all that and keep it straight, let him.

I know MY limits, and they're pretty low.

It ain't the bike i'm worried about anyway. I fear the pavement.

Bajaedition

YA KNOW
if he is bragging about it at a bar, he probably is under the influence of a few drinks and spouting off his mouth about something he wish he could do.

tobad he had you cornered and you could not get away

Trooper

I think its all about knowing your comfort zone and limits and respecting them more than anything else.

Do you really want to learn how to wheelie on wet pavement? Personally, I am not interested, but if it tickles his fancy, then so be it.

RoadKill

respect is a funny word. it can mean a lot of different things because there are many different ways you can respect someone or something.

I respect a police officer but not in the same way/s i respect my dad.
I respect fire etc... people should say specifically what to respect and in which way and not use the word in an ambiguous way, because it isn't all that useful unless you give more context.

I would say you need to know your limits and don't push them closer than say 85% and that is probably what he meant.

if you are scared that means you are pushing your limits to far and the CHANCES of an accident have just gone up a lot.
then again there are idiots who don't know when they SHOULD be afraid lol ;)

HenryT

We've all heard it and we all know its true. But I started thinking about this yesterday after talking with this guy at a bar. He was telling me all his stories about how he scaped from the cops a couple times, lane-splits (in South-FL=suicide), cuts other cars and such.
Anyways, I told him how I wouldn't dare to ride that way. And he responded that I shouldn't be afraid. That "You should respect the bike, not fear it."
Afterwards it started raining and this guy took off doing a wheelie on the wet pavement.

I inmediately thought this guy clearly doesn't know the meaning of the word "Respect" .... Or maybe he does and Im just a ****ing pussy.

Idk i wanna hear what you guys think...

Sounds like the guy was buzzed and trying to sound all Frodo like, making silly supposedly deep comments like its (riding) all just something so special and powerful LOL. Too funny.

Nstr_FZ8

YA KNOW
if he is bragging about it at a bar, he probably is under the influence of a few drinks and spouting off his mouth about something he wish he could do.

tobad he had you cornered and you could not get away

Ohh pffff totally... It was penny-beer wednesday. We had gone through several brews by the time he left... The bar is only a few blocks from home so i just walk there..

Its like RoadKill just said... Its about knowing your limits :)

ssky0078

I don't knock any riders abilities or what they feel is respect. I get $#!T from people about how I ride on the forums as well as friends. Most of them I can tell they are just concerned that I don't get hurt or hurt someone else. I ride aggressively, I make moves that have somewhat narrow margins of errors. I feel like I respect my life, I respect my bike, I respect the other drivers around me and hope to never ever impact them in any way. I wish people would respect my skills.

Point being is I think ultimately everyone wants to be safe and get home safe. I'm sure if you unleashed Rossi or Marquez on the street without fear for criminal speeding they could smoke a lot of other riders. However a good street rider that knows the area and the roads and traffic patterns they will ride just as well as those amazing riders.

FYI: the word respect basically means to look back; regard or give a second look.

HenryT

I don't knock any riders abilities or what they feel is respect. I get $#!T from people about how I ride on the forums as well as friends. Most of them I can tell they are just concerned that I don't get hurt or hurt someone else. I ride aggressively, I make moves that have somewhat narrow margins of errors. I feel like I respect my life, I respect my bike, I respect the other drivers around me and hope to never ever impact them in any way. I wish people would respect my skills.

Point being is I think ultimately everyone wants to be safe and get home safe. I'm sure if you unleashed Rossi or Marquez on the street without fear for criminal speeding they could smoke a lot of other riders. However a good street rider that knows the area and the roads and traffic patterns they will ride just as well as those amazing riders.

FYI: the word respect basically means to look back; regard or give a second look.
All I can say is Wow!

Rotaryknight

I think by respecting the bike, he is meaning to know your limit on the bike. Every motorcycle is different and you dont ride them all the same. Some will push your abilities to the max, some not even half. Respect the limit of your ability on that bike, and you will live.

Worse situation while riding though is to fear or be afraid of riding. That fear will come to life if you let it take over mentally.

Bajaedition

Ohh pffff totally... It was penny-beer wednesday. We had gone through several brews by the time he left... The bar is only a few blocks from home so i just walk there..

Its like RoadKill just said... Its about knowing your limits :)
I was talking about him not you

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
then again there are idiots who don't know when they SHOULD be afraid lol ;)

:agree:
Amen to that brotha!

Remember, those butterflies in your stomach.........they are to be embraced, they tell you that your alive..... And how! But the moment you ignore them completely, well.....you can do the math.

I try to ignore fear, fear can be irrational.
But that gut feeling is always right.

Squatch

I've always learned to trust your gut instinct. I don't really know what to call it, but I think most riders have a common sense of knowing when they are pushing it too far....Some just realize it too late. This is coming from someone whom has pushed it and lost control a few times in cars and on a few bikes. I have done everything from pushing a corner too hard and low siding cause I didn't pay enough attention to that feeling or "voice" that I call it sometimes, that comes through my brain telling me I'm pushin it too far, to just losing it on the back wheel cause again I didn't listen...I think as far as respect goes, I respect the bikes differently. I know what kind of bike I am riding and most times the limits of that said bike. That being said I do sometimes ride aggressively cause drivers here are nuts, but I always try and know when I am putting myself in a bad situation.