Removing bar ends

D

Deleted member 438

I'm trying to instal my bar end mirrors, but I'm having a really hard time getting the part that sits in the bar out. Are there any tricks to getting these things out?

H

Hoover

I gave up. I spent an hour with every tool I know trying. I think they are glued in.
This is exactly why I switched my bars over to Renthals.
I know some people have got them out, but mine wouldn't budge.:(

D

Deleted member 438

Looks like I'll be getting renthal road ultra low bars in black.

H

Hoover

so what did you do to fit bar end mirrors on? I have a set on order.

Depends on what style you have. You can loosen all your controls and grips and slide them inwards by an inch or so. If you buy aftermarket bars, CRG makes an adaptor you can put in the bar ends.

Crazywb23

bar ends

I bought a set of bikemaster bar end mirrors and 60mm allen bolts and was able to mount the mirrors using the existing bar ends. Got the look I wanted and didn't lose the vibration dampening. Anytime you start changing major components like bars. You will loose the handling characteristics of the bike, and without front fork adjusters I had to find a new way to do it.. The whole thing cost me a total of 90$$ and it looks one of a kind.

Last edited:
H

Hoover

I bought a set of bikemaster bar end mirrors and 60mm allen bolts and was able to mount the mirrors using the existing bar ends. Got the look I wanted and didn't lose the vibration dampening. Anytime you start changing major components like bars. You will loose the handling characteristics of the bike, and without front fork adjusters I had to find a new way to do it.. The whole thing cost me a total of 90$$ and it looks one of a kind.

The Renthall bars I installed are silicon filled. I have absolutely no vibration at any speeds, which is more that can be said for the stock ones which buzzed like crazy at 4k. Also, being 2" wider gives me much more control when throwing it around..more length = more leverage. Love em.

Crazywb23

The Renthall bars I installed are silicon filled. I have absolutely no vibration at any speeds, which is more that can be said for the stock ones which buzzed like crazy at 4k. Also, being 2" wider gives me much more control when throwing it around..more length = more leverage. Love em.

I had 'em on my GXSR 750 street fighter. That was a ground up build, custom triple tree clamps & renthall moto bars, It made a big difference being 2" wider. BUT, it didn't even begin to handle half as well as my fazer does now, and vibration never completely goes away. Don't worry not tryin to insult you, but not everyone is going to go the whole new handle bar route, so as another option was all I was saying....

mckshred

interesting comments

Thanks for your points of views. Interesting discsussion.

Not sure what wider bars would get you on a street bike - a little more leverage pushing the bar for a quicker turn maybe? Does it help to push the bike left, right, left or something like that through serious twisties? It's going to dramatically change the riding position and 'weak side' hand location. It could potentially conflict with the fuel tank.

I would think that the location of the hands would matter most for a street motorcycle. Hence the reason for 'duck down' bars or 'drop bars'. Lowering the riders center of gravity would give the biggest handling improvement relative to positioning.

here's another bar discussion link:
Straight handlebars = tighter turns? - Motorcycle Forum

I ride a DH mountain bike and find the wider bars increase stability at speed going downhill in very rough terrain. That's on a MOUNTAIN BIKE with 6-8" travel that weighs 32-45 lbs, which sole purpose is to travel downhill on rough terrain. So unless we are talking motocross riding, I don't see a huge advantage to this 'upgrade'.

H

Hoover

Around town, the wider stance helps in low speed manuevers, on the twisties, because my riding style is very "body off", I find they give me more control. By that I mean, because of previous injuries, I have to move around the bike and hang off the side a lot. I cannot just sit there and throw a knee out. Barry Sheene rode like that after his Daytona crash. Not that I am comparing myself to him :eek:
On the highway, I was worried that losing the mirrors and going to barends would result in more wind buffeting, the opposite happened. The wider stance allows the wind to pass under my arms and I find it much more comfortable.

I am 6'0", 185, so I am sure that it will be different for everyone. Me though, I am well happy.

Crazywb23

Most of it has to do with rider experience and preference. I'm sure that hoover would agree with me, "its the rider, his dimensions, and what he feels comfy with". I am 5'11" and about 250, :confused: Yeah I need to lose about 50lbs, but the bike handles great with my fat-a** on the back of it. In fact I can outride most guys I ride with (who in fact are on sport bikes) just running the stock bars. It comes down to rider experience. Find what works for you and go with it!!!!! Have fun out there and stay safe!:D

Hereward

I had to remove them to put in a new set of standard bars.......long story, basicly the bars are heated and the bits your trying to get out are frozen then the two are pressed together.........reverseing the process? I ended up having to cut the things out of there! luckily I managed to beat them into the new set of bars........many tools were broken and many curse words where used.........I still don't know why they don't come pre fitted when you buy a set of FZ8 bars from Yam.......1 word of caution, all the ancileries that go on your bars have little lugs and the bars have pre drilled localion holes.......

And finaly whilst I'm feeling helpful, put your bike on it's stand, rev it at a constant 5k (you know, that sweet spot where the infernal buzz starts to eminate from the front of your bike) OK now whilst holding the revs steady and the "buzz".....jus gently press or lift the two bits of plastic either side of the headlight........THE SMALL TOP PART OF THE LIGHT.....there you go, simply put some pads under those 2 bits of plastic and your FZ8 now sounds like it was built out of stone rather than cheap plastic ;).........I will post a thread on this with pics and a vid if it ever stops raining here in the UK!

FZER

Avid Rider
I had to remove them to put in a new set of standard bars.......long story, basicly the bars are heated and the bits your trying to get out are frozen then the two are pressed together.........reverseing the process? I ended up having to cut the things out of there! luckily I managed to beat them into the new set of bars........many tools were broken and many curse words where used.........I still don't know why they don't come pre fitted when you buy a set of FZ8 bars from Yam.......1 word of caution, all the ancileries that go on your bars have little lugs and the bars have pre drilled localion holes.......

And finaly whilst I'm feeling helpful, put your bike on it's stand, rev it at a constant 5k (you know, that sweet spot where the infernal buzz starts to eminate from the front of your bike) OK now whilst holding the revs steady and the "buzz".....jus gently press or lift the two bits of plastic either side of the headlight........THE SMALL TOP PART OF THE LIGHT.....there you go, simply put some pads under those 2 bits of plastic and your FZ8 now sounds like it was built out of stone rather than cheap plastic ;).........I will post a thread on this with pics and a vid if it ever stops raining here in the UK!

Well here's the crazy thing I tried putting them on just like the regular instructions said due and they mounted with no problems. I don't need the 6$ a piece mounting adaptor kits I bought. But for some reason riz thinks I need them????

Last edited:

Hereward

Oh there's a riz fiting kit? thats handy, how did everything seat? did you need to remove the lugs? I only ask as I was thinking of getting diferent bars but after replacing my old bent ones with a new set of standard ones I was a bit perplexed as to how easy it would be, and wether I needed to start cutting bits off!

FZER

Avid Rider
Oh there's a riz fiting kit? thats handy, how did everything seat? did you need to remove the lugs? I only ask as I was thinking of getting diferent bars but after replacing my old bent ones with a new set of standard ones I was a bit perplexed as to how easy it would be, and wether I needed to start cutting bits off!

I bought some Rizoma Spy Q's mirrors. Their website said I had to have an addtional adaptor kit to install these mirrors, well it turns out I didn't need them.