Removed fuel pump strainer, now bike won't start!

NonSmallJohn

I was having poor throttle response and decided to check the fuel filter/strainer inside the tank. I was clogged up really badly and filthy, so I removed it. I was planning on buying an in-line filter the next day, so I didn't replace the strainer (also there is a build in filter in the pump housing). I put everything back together and the bike wouldn't start. I've tried everything from: making sure the lines were clean, made sure the fuel rail wasn't blocked, checked the fuel injectors for blockage. The fuel pump works fine, it sprays out nicely. Removed the fuel pump completely and tested on my work bench, has great suction. I removed my spark plugs to make sure the engine wasn't flooding, plugs were dry. Poured gas into the cylinders, bike turned over and ran for two seconds. I'm all out of options, seems like the ECU is being fussy over something I did, or it's just not receiving fuel for some reason. Anyone have any ideas? :( :confused:

NonSmallJohn

So I figured it out, haven't fixed the problem yet however. The fuel pressure is too low! I manually pressurized the line to approx. 40psi and it started no problem. I'm going to try and replace the fuel strainer, since it might be needed for back pressure to help pressurize the line.

Gem rod

Well done on diagnosing the problem. Any chance you could show us how to access the fuel filter/strainer as you describe 'inside the tank'? Just for future ref. Thanks.