rear flat tire...advice?

Dom83

whats up, I need advice! I went in the garage to install my new yoshimura slip-on and prep my 8 for the season....gosh...my rear tire was flat! I can see a nail dead in center of the tire. Any advice on what should I do? I dont really want to change it since it's still like new....but wondering others solution. I ride a lot during summer...so I need something durable

Anyone have an idea whaT are my options?

JSP

Administrator
My life is not worth risking over $100 or so dollars. I would replace the tire. It is not like a car. You blow that one out, you are screwed. I can only recommend a tire plug to get you to the shop for a new tire.

RoadKill

whats up, I need advice! I went in the garage to install my new yoshimura slip-on and prep my 8 for the season....gosh...my rear tire was flat! I can see a nail dead in center of the tire. Any advice on what should I do? I dont really want to change it since it's still like new....but wondering others solution. I ride a lot during summer...so I need something durable

Anyone have an idea whaT are my options?

ive ridden on several tires that were patched and had no problems.
I am not convinced that they are not safe at all.

alexk

Weekend Rider
Remember: a patched tire is more likely to fail than an undamaged tire. Its your life to risk.

That said, there are those who run on patched tires with no issues. If you want to patch:

Use a good patch kit - one with rasps and rubber cement. This may stop any air leak, but more importantly helps stop damage from spreading - don't want that puncture to turn into a tear.

Internal patches are awesome if you've also run an external patch. Of course, if you've got the tire off the wheel, you might as well bite the bullet and replace the whole tire.

If you're on a patched tire, go easy. The patch itself will have different characteristics than the tire. It will flex differently, and more importantly handle heat differently. If you're getting your tires hot enough to get soft to the touch, what are you doing to the patch?

RoadKill

let me give a little more detail. the patches i have used were all installed by the dealer and were internal patches. the tires most of them, were practically brand new. one i had about 50 miles on it.

I would not ride on a tire that was patched with an outside patch or plug.
Not sure i would ride on a tire that did not have a clean puncture because of the point made about tearing. Also patching an older tire would probably not make me feel good either.

cambo

Avid Rider
+1 for a new tire.

Shit I've got a brand new stock BT-021 you can have if you're worried about the cost. Just cover shipping.

EDIT: Just saw you're in canada...it's probably cheaper for you to buy a new tire up there than to have me ship it to you from here.

medivh66

Pillion
find someone who will put an innertube in. I had one on my old sv1000s and picked up a nail after about 400 miles on the fz8. never had an issue

DanS

Commuter
I picked up a pop rivet on the way to work. Luckily one of my coworkers had a cheap parts store plug kit in his truck that I used to get to the nearest bike shop. The bike shop put in a much better quality mushroom type plug. I've put about three hundred miles on it and it's holding up just fine. But I'm not comfortable with it and will be buying a new tire soon.

Glovik

I'm also on the get a new tire bus. I got a nail in my rear last season and took a week off riding saving the money for a new tire, rather than riding with a patch as a lot of my friends told me to. It would be the only thing is be able to think about riding. Carving those canyons, I don't want to have anyyyy worries about my tires. Even if not for the fear of it failing while riding, then for the fear of it being flat when I come out of lunch with buddies on a ride and have to leave my bike in some random town and come back to get it :(

I like worrying about the road when I ride, not my bike. Although like I said, I have friends that have done it with no problems and say they would again but just not worth it to me.

Dom83

Thanks a lot guys for your answer! I'm still unsure what I'll do but for sure I like the idea of buying a new one. I'm not that worried about money, although I exploded the year budget on mods and I'll have to deal with the wifey...it's my security honey...bla bla bla...lol

One of my friend had a "rope" plug, for halfasummer on his racer and he toldme to do that....but I'll stick with you on that one and order a new one!

My question now is if it's ok two have two different tire on the bike is alright?

I'm thinking of buying just a rear tire

Glovik

2 different tires is fine! When my rear tire got a nail, I didn't have money to replace both and my stock only had like 3500 so I got a pilot road 2 on my back and stock on the front. Getting a new set of pilot power 3s this week :)

Dom83

2 different tires is fine! When my rear tire got a nail, I didn't have money to replace both and my stock only had like 3500 so I got a pilot road 2 on my back and stock on the front. Getting a new set of pilot power 3s this week :)

how do you likethe pilot road2?

Glovik

Love the road 2! I could have gotten the 3 but it had just came out and some reviews were saying the 2 were better if you like to get crazy while you commute and carve it up on the weekends. Nice and grippy and great in the rain! Never had any slippage or anything. My only regret is not getting the front as well. I can't imagine how crisp that would be.

I'm pretty sold on getting the Pilot Power 3s, but if I was going to stay in the Pilot Road series, I might even stick with a pair of 2s over the 3s. I'm sure the 3s are amazing but they just look insane and don't scream twisties to me like the 2s. If I lived in Seattle where it rained everyday, I'd have the 3s though lol.

3s 2s 2s 3s 7s 2s 3s 3s road pilot pilot power road power road pilot 3s 3s 2s 2s 3s. Lolol.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
Love the road 2! I could have gotten the 3 but it had just came out and some reviews were saying the 2 were better if you like to get crazy while you commute and carve it up on the weekends. Nice and grippy and great in the rain! Never had any slippage or anything. My only regret is not getting the front as well. I can't imagine how crisp that would be.

I'm pretty sold on getting the Pilot Power 3s, but if I was going to stay in the Pilot Road series, I might even stick with a pair of 2s over the 3s. I'm sure the 3s are amazing but they just look insane and don't scream twisties to me like the 2s. If I lived in Seattle where it rained everyday, I'd have the 3s though lol.

3s 2s 2s 3s 7s 2s 3s 3s road pilot pilot power road power road pilot 3s 3s 2s 2s 3s. Lolol.

the amount of soft shoulder compound is signifigantly larger on the PR 3s. just. little food for thought. I have ridden both and prefer the 3s

Glovik

the amount of soft shoulder compound is signifigantly larger on the PR 3s. just. little food for thought. I have ridden both and prefer the 3s

http://m.michelinmotorcycle.com/pdf/Comparison-Chart-Street-Tires.pdf

The rear has the same compound layout on both and the front 20/60/20 to 25/50/25 for its spread. Not THAT significant. Either way compounds aside, the 3 just has too many sipes and sketches me out. If I was a strictly commuter/highway mile guy, id have the PR3s for sure.

I'd love to ride some PR3s and try them out though! Hopefully the PP3s are as good as I think they're going to be!

Blanchy

Must just be me being an old dirt biker but I did and would have no problems plugging a rear tire. Plugged one years ago and did 2000kms no worries, checked the pressure regularly though. A front would be a different matter entirely. I don't mind feeling the rear move around at all, actually really like to feel the rear step out sometimes but if I feel the front not behaving then I get real nervous.

SeñorJack

El Guapo
http://m.michelinmotorcycle.com/pdf/Comparison-Chart-Street-Tires.pdf

The rear has the same compound layout on both and the front 20/60/20 to 25/50/25 for its spread. Not THAT significant. Either way compounds aside, the 3 just has too many sipes and sketches me out. If I was a strictly commuter/highway mile guy, id have the PR3s for sure.

I'd love to ride some PR3s and try them out though! Hopefully the PP3s are as good as I think they're going to be!

i am mostly a twisties guy these days. i am on my first set of PR3s, coming off of two sets of PR2s. I guess the biggest difference I feel is confidence. When I am finishing rolling on the throttle as I leave the apex, that is when I feel that little 5% extra on the soft compound.

ya the sipes look pretty weird, but there are quite a few GP style tires with the same technology. If it doesnt sketch out the Doctor, i am ok with it :)

my last set of PR2s is going on next, so at the end of the day, the difference is pretty subtle. I would glady recommend both tires to anyone!