Really Cheap Insurance....

thach1130

DLSGAP said:
Ha.. We're paying another 280 something a month for the cars...

Wow, and here i thought we had it bad when i used to lived in NJ. Used to pay 980/6 months for the car for full coverage.

When i moved to VA it dropped to $350/6 months. I've had 6-7 accidents ever since i started driving around 9 years ago. Most of them i was not at fault. I had an at fault accident in a parking lot of a strip mall last year. Reversed out of a parking space, half way out already and some lady side swipe me. Still considered my fault. F$#king A. Had a speeding ticket 6 years ago. Had another ticket this year on January 1st. I know right on new year. Got the charge reduce to two points. So car insurance now is $433/6 months. Motorcycle insurance used to be $350/year

Now that i got Rider insurance for the bike which dropped the cost to $135. I'm paying

433(car insurance 6 months)*2 = 866
135(motorcycle insurance 1 year) = 135
Total: $1001

So for almost the same amount i paid to insure my car in NJ for 6 month. I can insure both my bike and car in VA for a year. I can't complain.

FastZ8

I got quoted 2000 a year before I got my bike and then I got 1700 from progressive...I'm so thankful that bfisch posted that on here or I would have been overpaying forever...422 a year is awesome and its for better coverage and a cheaper deductible...I'm 22 and have my motorcycle license and haven't had any accidents or tickets or anything on my record and I'm a truck driver and it was still that high...you would think driving for a living might actually count for something considering I drive a couple hundred miles sometimes 6 7 days a week and still have a good driving history...it's waaayyy cheaper now I can actually afford to mod my bike.

Last edited:

thach1130

Actually, statistically speaking, the more time you spend on the road the higher the chance of you getting into an accident. Don't think about it as you having more driving experience by driving more, think of it as the more you drive the higher chance you get a ticket or someone else hitting you.

DanS

Commuter
1 speeding ticket when I was 22 (8 years ago). Nothing else. Totally clean, good credit etc. No idea what's up with it.
Did you put your forum name on the insurance application? :D
Progressive just raised mine to $566 a year up about $100 from last year. No tickets or claims.

97audia4

I live in NJ (where Rider started) and I can tell you it's not fake. In fact I am fairly certain they hold most if the market in the tri state area. I switched to them from Progressive last year (paying $800+ for full coverage). Now I pay $463 a year. I could pay in the low $200's but I prefer to have too much coverage than not enough.

If you're in their coverage area I would highly recommend.

Thanks man you just saved me 640 doll hairs I'm switching from progressive to rider right now :)

Spyder Eye

I used to work for Progressive as a claims adjuster and trying to compare prices in a forum is pretty much useless. Location makes a big difference plus you have numerous other factors that are evaluated like: credit worthiness, # of accidents (bike & car), whether you own a home, and if your married.

One thing I took away from that job is the importance of Uninsured & Under-insured motorist protection (UIM). Lets say you get hit by someone and are taken to the hospital in which you have to have some emergency medical work done and a couple nights stay. Your hospital bill can easily be $100,000-$150,000. This is not including physical therapy or return doctor visits.

The driver is at fault but he only has state minimum coverage. For Texas that is: The minimum liability limits are $30,000 for each injured person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident.

That means their insurance will only pay for $30,000. So the rest of your hospital bill is left to you to pay. In this case it could be as much as $120,000.

Now you could take the guy to court but that takes more money and a lot of time. Plus if they only have state min. coverage, it is likely they don't have much in the way of assets, so you might not get much at all.

Now if you have Uninsured and Under-insured coverage those limits are what is used after the responsible party's insurance is tapped out. So lets say you only have $30,000 in your policy for UIM. Well that brings it down to $90,000. Still a hell of a lot of money.

But hey, I also have health insurance! Most people usually have a 80/20 policy; insurance pays 80% you are responsible for 20% plus your yearly deductible. Lets give it the best possible scenario in which everything on your bill is 80% paid for by your health insurance (not everything qualifies) that would still leave you with $18,000 in medical bills. If you didn't have the 30k in UIM they you could be looking at $24,000.

Having a low UIM, or none at all will make your policy price very low but I don't think it is worth it. What we love to do is inherently dangerous and if you don't have enough coverage it can cost you a lot even if your not at fault. Having $100,000-$300,000 in UIM costs more but you will be glad you have it because most emergency medical bills easily exceed the state min. coverage of $30,000.

Also, If your state has PIP coverage it worth getting the maximum amount allowable. It is money that is immediately payable to you regardless of fault and is also used to take care of lost wages because of injury.

:2cents: - Keep the Shiny Side Up!

Never had it explained to me before. Looks like i'll be adding UIM to my policy. Thanks for the heads up.

I used to work for Progressive as a claims adjuster and trying to compare prices in a forum is pretty much useless. Location makes a big difference plus you have numerous other factors that are evaluated like: credit worthiness, # of accidents (bike & car), whether you own a home, and if your married.

One thing I took away from that job is the importance of Uninsured & Under-insured motorist protection (UIM). Lets say you get hit by someone and are taken to the hospital in which you have to have some emergency medical work done and a couple nights stay. Your hospital bill can easily be $100,000-$150,000. This is not including physical therapy or return doctor visits.

The driver is at fault but he only has state minimum coverage. For Texas that is: The minimum liability limits are $30,000 for each injured person, up to a total of $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 for property damage per accident.

That means their insurance will only pay for $30,000. So the rest of your hospital bill is left to you to pay. In this case it could be as much as $120,000.

Now you could take the guy to court but that takes more money and a lot of time. Plus if they only have state min. coverage, it is likely they don't have much in the way of assets, so you might not get much at all.

Now if you have Uninsured and Under-insured coverage those limits are what is used after the responsible party's insurance is tapped out. So lets say you only have $30,000 in your policy for UIM. Well that brings it down to $90,000. Still a hell of a lot of money.

But hey, I also have health insurance! Most people usually have a 80/20 policy; insurance pays 80% you are responsible for 20% plus your yearly deductible. Lets give it the best possible scenario in which everything on your bill is 80% paid for by your health insurance (not everything qualifies) that would still leave you with $18,000 in medical bills. If you didn't have the 30k in UIM they you could be looking at $24,000.

Having a low UIM, or none at all will make your policy price very low but I don't think it is worth it. What we love to do is inherently dangerous and if you don't have enough coverage it can cost you a lot even if your not at fault. Having $100,000-$300,000 in UIM costs more but you will be glad you have it because most emergency medical bills easily exceed the state min. coverage of $30,000.

Also, If your state has PIP coverage it worth getting the maximum amount allowable. It is money that is immediately payable to you regardless of fault and is also used to take care of lost wages because of injury.

bfisch

Don't cram it down my throat is all I'm saying. If I opt not to have UIM, quote me a fair price. In every circumstance I asked if there was a way to bring the cost down, because I have my own medical insurance and they said, no. In your above scenario the most I would ever have to pay is $2500. Because that is what my yearly max out of pocket is through Humana One. Why would I want to pay the extra cost for high UIM coverage?

That being said, you make a valid point for other people who don't quite have the coverage I do.

Last edited:

Spyder Eye

Don't cram it down my throat is all I'm saying. If I opt not to have UIM, quote me a fair price. In every circumstance I asked if there was a way to bring the cost down, because I have my own medical insurance and they said, no. In your above scenario the most I would ever have to pay is $2500. Because that is what my yearly max out of pocket is through Humana One. Why would I want to pay the extra cost for high UIM coverage?

That being said, you make a valid point for other people who don't quite have the coverage I do.

But your health insurance won't pay for lost wages if you miss work or for pain and suffering resulting from the crash. Lost wages and pain and suffering are paid for by the at-fault driver's liability insurance. If the other driver doesn't have liability insurance, or doesn't have enough of it, you're out of luck — unless you have UM/UIM coverage or want to pursue the matter in court.

Also, if it is an uninsured driver you will be "out of pocket" on your bike and gear as well.

bfisch

But your health insurance won't pay for lost wages if you miss work or for pain and suffering resulting from the crash. Lost wages and pain and suffering are paid for by the at-fault driver's liability insurance. If the other driver doesn't have liability insurance, or doesn't have enough of it, you're out of luck — unless you have UM/UIM coverage or want to pursue the matter in court.

Also, if it is an uninsured driver you will be "out of pocket" on your bike and gear as well.

There are risks in everything we do and I'm 98% sure if I do get F'ed up, it's going to be my own fault, so unless a company comes up with a "dumb ass" policy, I'll stick with what I got. :)

fzmedic

476/ yr full coverage

American Reliable Insurance out of Arizona. I live in NY and I am a home owner so I didn't skimp. 476/yr is the same as I was paying for my Victory Hammer,:cool:

iheart2drift

I got quoted $9000/year once if I wanted to buy a S1000RR LOL I did it for shits and giggles. First bike. 21 years old.

I bought an FZ8 yesterday, 2012 used, and the minimum is $444/year.

adnonymous

That sounds amazing...

When I first started riding I went with an insurance company out of Canada that only insured California and Canada. It was called Bikeline. Kinda sketchy but trying to get full coverage insurance as a new rider and 18 years old is crazy.

good dog

USAA for Military and Veterans coverage

That sounds amazing...

When I first started riding I went with an insurance company out of Canada that only insured California and Canada. It was called Bikeline. Kinda sketchy but trying to get full coverage insurance as a new rider and 18 years old is crazy.

Seeing your location as an AFB. Have you checked out what rates are from USAA https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/insurance_motorcycle but from what I have read on a Military/Veterans thread on my home automotive forum the benefits are incredible for all the services they provide. Might not be so good for new riders but if you took the training courses provided by your service, it lowers rates considerably. Don't think taking training after you have your license is embarrassing, think of the money you could be saving. And this is feedback provided by a Canadian, non-military, you should look into it.

And thank you for your service.

Bajaedition

wow '
guess age has it's privileges
I pay 618 for both the FZ8 and my ZZR1200
and I am in Cali
and that is with Progressive

I WOULD be a bit leery of really cheep insurance

Oh, there is a company called Dairyland that is reasonable with good service,

Tango59

Age doesn't have it's priviledges. I'm 53 and Progressive quoted $1098 on the FZ. No tickets, no wrecks, married, homeowner......

Tango59

I'm with progressive and they've always been reasonable for me. I just turned 30 and the fz8 is my 2nd bike. First bike yzf600r had liability only for about $150/year. On my '11 fz8 i'm only paying $355/year. I had no idea insurance could be as much as some people are saying on here in the $1k range. I think if it was that much for me i would just go liability only.

Yamah

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY $46.00
BI $25,000 EACH PERSON - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $15,000 EACH ACCIDENT
UNINSURED MOTORIST BODILY INJURY $34.00
$25,000 EACH PERSON/$50,000 EACH ACCIDENT
COMPREHENSIVE $1,000 DEDUCTIBLE $57.00
INCLUDES DISAPPEARING DEDUCTIBLE
COLLISION $1,000 DEDUCTIBLE $208.00
INCLUDES DISAPPEARING DEDUCTIBLE
ACCESSORY COVERAGE $3,000 INCL
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE $10.00
UNINSURED MOTORIST PROPERTY DAMAGE - REJECTED

Premium by Vehicle $355.00
Total Policy Premium $355.00

We're in the same state, I'm 53 and the quote on my 2013 is $1098/year !!!!