rattle at 3k

Hereward

Hi all
Quick one I'm currently having to crawl along at 30mph whilst I'm teaching the young one to ride a motorbike. have noticed an anoying rattle at 3k rpm, It's a plastic type of vibration rattle but I can't find it! once above 3k it goes and it's just loud enough to hear and anoy the hell out of me! I'm running with the fly screen and belly pan (the obvious culprits) and the akrapovic exhaust (the obvious cause) the exhaust I run with the baffle out and it dose introduce a bit of vibration to the bike (but I like that) the noise seems to eminate from the front of the bike.........anyone got a similar issue or an enlightend way of finding the rattle which dosn't involve acrobatics whilst on the move or striping half the bike.......which I think might be the only solution :confused:

hypo

I'd pull off both add-on items (flyscreen and bellypan) and see if it goes away. if it does, you've found the culprit... then add them on one at a time to see which one brings it back. OR check the tightness of the bolts/screws or look to see if there's touching of plastic's or looseness of the items or items CLOSE to the items in question.

Hereward

I'd pull off both add-on items (flyscreen and bellypan) and see if it goes away. if it does, you've found the culprit... then add them on one at a time to see which one brings it back. OR check the tightness of the bolts/screws or look to see if there's touching of plastic's or looseness of the items or items CLOSE to the items in question.

Yeah, I'll check the screen, I took it off to remove that horid foam block and I suspect I've got it touching on one side.....the bolts for it are the main clamp for the top yolk so it's a bit of a pain to remove. Cheers for the quick replie.

hypo

did you have to LOOSEN anything in order to install the can? or the screen? or the pan? did you tighten them back up afterwards? did the installation of any one of those items put extra strain on something that might not be strong enough to hold the weight?

Hereward

The cans an odd one, the standard unit has a counter weight and rubber mount to cut down on vibration, the new one doesn't ..... but the dealer fitted it so I'm not unduley woried, it's a lot louder and dose add vibration to the bike, as you would expect. The screen I made sure was tight when I re-fitted it as the screen mount uses the top yolk fork compresion bolts.......not a great idea to desighn it to fit there but hey ho! The noise is definatly a blastic vibration rattle and not mechanical (I hope) and I think the screen is touching the light fairing......which itself is a bit creaky.

hypo

if you just rev to 3k with the bike on the centerstand do you get the same rattle? If you have your kid sit on the back seat with the bike on the centerstand (lift the front tire off the ground) and rev it to 3k, can you duplicate it? got another set of ears to listen to the peices around the bike?

Hereward

Nope tried that, I've checked and the screen was touching the light unid suround, repositioned it with a couple of mm gap on either side and I'll take the bike out and try it again, hopefuly this solves it, I'll post up the results.

Hereward

OK back from a quick hoon, ratle at 3k has gone! it's now at 2k but less pronounced LOL Tried the bafle in, no change but after some acrobatics it seems it's the right hand mirror! I'm changeing the mirrors anyway so that should cue it, I'll take the mirror off though and try it just to confirm. The bikes due it's first service in the next week so I'll be shouting at them if it is the mirror, may get lucky and get them to put some FZ1 mirrors on as replacements..........a plan is forming LOL

millarjk

rattle

have the fly screen and just recently noticed the plastic sounding vibration ,nothings touching except that nice piece of foam and all is tight????::confused:

hypo

I found a rattle myself this weekend, and it was the piece right in front of the gascap... that whole plastic piece, if you pull it off, you see two sets of foam padding... I think I adjusted it wrong when I put it back on while I was running wires for my LED's... going to put some additional foam strips under there to see if it dampens it any.

Hereward

RIght I got the rattle back! And found it! It was actualy the normal screen under the flyscreen, I've placed 2 rubber buffers between it and the top of the display unit, instant rattle begone solution.
I did get yam to check it out on it's first service and they basicly striped the whole light assebly and fairings apart and put small rubber pads on everything........this unfortunatly didn't work LOL But they did replace my flyscreen, they noticed it hadn't have a piece of foam on it (I took it off LOL)
If you have a low to mid rpm rattle first stick some form of wedge between the clocks and the small screen above it, only so it lifts it a few mm. Like I said EVERYTHING was checked on mine and in the end that was the culprit :)

diver551

I found I had the same issue with my screen. I took apart the whole front end to discover small wear marks between the fly screen and the normal screen. What I did to ensure that was the rattle was basically take electrical tape (as it is rubberized) and put it underneath both the normal screen and fly screen where I saw the wear marks. It instantly took away the rattle so I made it a little more permanent after that. Is was a pretty quick and simple solution to finding that rattle.

Speedo007

yeah I have that rattle at 4800rpm. Was pretty sure it was the windscreen (stock one) but when I put my hand on it the rattle doesnt go away. Had this issue on my Speed Triple too, ended up putting rubber washers and it solved the problem. The front end on the FZ8 feels really cheap, all the plastic parts feel loose, I guess I'll just have to take it appart and add foam or rubber tape to make sure it all fits like it should...

Rgraphic

I found a rattle myself this weekend, and it was the piece right in front of the gascap... that whole plastic piece, if you pull it off, you see two sets of foam padding... I think I adjusted it wrong when I put it back on while I was running wires for my LED's... going to put some additional foam strips under there to see if it dampens it any.

That was my rattle too. Were you able to re-install and eliminate the vibration or did you end up using more foam? I reseated the plastic cover and its almost gone but i can still hear it enough to be annoying at times.

H

Hoover

I pulled my Yosh baffle out for the first time yesterday...WOW what a glorious noise :eek:

Speedo007

I could still hear the rattle with the baffle in. With it out all I hear is the exhaust hehe And yeah it does sound awesome!

RoMav

Plastic in front of the gas cap

I had the same thing happen to me with the bit in front of the gas cap but I only took it off after the vibration started. I'm about to add some extra foam and hope that takes care of it when I clean up my airbox mod this afternoon.