Random Question about Cruisers: What is a comfortable cruising speed?

cambo

Avid Rider
Sorry guys, I hate to post this question here but the vstar folks aren't really much help. haha, a bunch of views and not a single response :/

Anyway, so I've got this vstar 1100...but I feel like I can't take it past 70, let alone cruise at 80-85 like I do with the fz8...because the bike is just screaming! and I'm not talking about the exhaust being loud, I'm talking about, I can really hear and feel the engine churning away.

lol, is this normal? I'm getting bullied like crazy out of the fast lane and cars are being big ol' MEANIES. I mean I might as well pull over, tuck my sack between my legs, and just stay in the slow lane and ride like a little b*tch! :(

Last edited:

Bajaedition

you know the HD I once owned liked about 65, the electraGlide liked 75

now from the average cruiser I see they like to be parked in front of trendy places and looked at, actually ride them and you willhave to polish all that chrome.

My FZ8, now, it likes to cruise at 80

e11charlie

Something sounds wrong. Rode a 600 vstar, now that turd was screaming at 75. Wouldn't think an 1100 would shite out after 75. Had a mean streak that would do 110 with out a problem and still had plenty more. Just something about doing 120 or more on an 850lb beast that didn't sit well with me. Couldn't bring myself to go any faster. I had a friend that rode a 1200 sportster that would get speed wobbles at 120 but the engine was purring fine. Maybe something wrong with the balancer if it has one.

mikefz8

I have heard that the guy who balances the paint shaker at your local walmart is certified to balance any cruiser out there if you are having problems with shaking. Might be somewhat of a legend, but you could ask around. :confused:

n00b

Avid Rider
my best friend has a vstar... don't know the displacement... it's Big, like 1700 or something. I'll ask next time i see him

cambo

Avid Rider
appreciate all the input....yeah I mean it very well could just be me. I'm so new to motorcycles and of course only being used to the fz8...I've had that thing well over 100 and it's as smooth as if I'm doing 40.

So maybe it's not fair that I compare the cruisers chracteristics to that.

cambo

Avid Rider
you know the HD I once owned liked about 65, the electraGlide liked 75

now from the average cruiser I see they like to be parked in front of trendy places and looked at, actually ride them and you willhave to polish all that chrome.

My FZ8, now, it likes to cruise at 80

haha, not me...my cruiser looks like a piece of shi*t and that's the way I like it. haha. I rattle can spray painted every chrome part I could.

cambo

Avid Rider
Something sounds wrong. Rode a 600 vstar, now that turd was screaming at 75. Wouldn't think an 1100 would shite out after 75. Had a mean streak that would do 110 with out a problem and still had plenty more. Just something about doing 120 or more on an 850lb beast that didn't sit well with me. Couldn't bring myself to go any faster. I had a friend that rode a 1200 sportster that would get speed wobbles at 120 but the engine was purring fine. Maybe something wrong with the balancer if it has one.

I mean it's not crapping out at 70 or 80...I took it to 90 today and it felt ok, it still had plenty of pull in it I'm sure...it just doesn't sound like it wants to be there lol. and because it doesn't sound like it wants to be there, I don't feel comfortable at anything above 70-75. I guess I'm just looking for someone to say, "you're fine dude, that's normal" lol!

Last edited:

cambo

Avid Rider
ah disregard...found my answer on another vstar forum. someone brought up the EXACT same question lol.

basically, i'm fine. Even though the bike sounds like its revving like crazy at hwy speeds...it can handle up to 110. 70-75 is what most of the guys cruise at and they go faster only to pass. Trying to cruise at anything above 80 "isn't a fun time" due to the vibrations and also go on to mention exactly the same things I've observed i.e. mirror vibrating so bad the image isn't clear

thanks again for the input!

Harrywz

ah disregard...found my answer on another vstar forum. someone brought up the EXACT same question lol.

basically, i'm fine. Even though the bike sounds like its revving like crazy at hwy speeds...it can handle up to 110. 70-75 is what most of the guys cruise at and they go faster only to pass. Trying to cruise at anything above 80 "isn't a fun time" due to the vibrations and also go on to mention exactly the same things I've observed i.e. mirror vibrating so bad the image isn't clear

thanks again for the input!

keyword, "cruiser" its not made to go screaming all day. The comfort zone is in the 50 to 70mph zone. Running up around 70 is pushing, you can really feel the revs. Then take the tires in account, they are not made for cornering. Pushes a bit over 53hp but pulls like your uncles John Deere.

rug_burn

I got a 6 cylinder '97 Valkyrie- it like it somewhere between 60 and 80. No vibes at all. With its windshield it's like riding around on an easy chair.

n00b

Avid Rider
appreciate all the input....yeah I mean it very well could just be me. I'm so new to motorcycles and of course only being used to the fz8...I've had that thing well over 100 and it's as smooth as if I'm doing 40.

So maybe it's not fair that I compare the cruisers chracteristics to that.
I did ask my friend - he said 70-75 feels very natural on his roadstar.