Radiator Guard

aabindas

I was wondering if anyone has taken the aluminum radiator guard that Yamaha makes for the bike and painted it black. anyone have pictures of it on their bike if they have it done? the picture is of a bike with the guard i am talking about.

cpatt

thats actuily a great idea i hadent though of.... ill be painting mine flat black with high heat grill paint when all me goodied come in and i start wrenchin on the bike.

maybe ill do plasti dip.... that might melt tho... hmmm any opinions on that?

F

Fazed

I don't know if it would. Radiators don't get that hot really. Look on the can or if they have a website, might tell you where you can and can't use it.

TGPrevost

yep

1st thing I did after I ordered it from the dealership... called my powdercoat guy! Guard came in and went strait to powdercoat. I cut another grill to go behind the "FZ8" logo and had it powdercoated blue to represent my blue blood. The blue logo isn't noticable unless you really look or it's angled to the sun so it worked just as I hoped. We have plenty mosquitios that get platered to the front end and need to be wiped off; I have no problem with the powdercoat finish holding up. I would go the same route if I were you rather than paint that will likely chip.

ZeeKdaGreeK

1st thing I did after I ordered it from the dealership... called my powdercoat guy! Guard came in and went strait to powdercoat. I cut another grill to go behind the "FZ8" logo and had it powdercoated blue to represent my blue blood. The blue logo isn't noticable unless you really look or it's angled to the sun so it worked just as I hoped. We have plenty mosquitios that get platered to the front end and need to be wiped off; I have no problem with the powdercoat finish holding up. I would go the same route if I were you rather than paint that will likely chip.

Do you remember how much it cost? Just curious as I've never powder coated anything before and don't feel like being ripped off

DanS

Commuter
That plasti-dip turned out good! I think the chrome or aluminum finish whatever it is on that radiator guard is hideous against the lovely dark/matte paint of the FZ8.
Thanks! I agree it didn't look very good at all. In the pictures on the yamaha website it looked to have a gold tint that matched the headers.

ultimate_walrus

Here's a look at mine. I used a couple coats of flat black engine paint. I couldn't find any heat-resistant blue. I ended up going with stuff used for metal park benches, but I haven't seen any any degradation from the heat at all.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ZeeKdaGreeK

Here's a look at mine. I used a couple coats of flat black engine paint. I couldn't find any heat-resistant blue. I ended up going with stuff used for metal park benches, but I haven't seen any any degradation from the heat at all.

How did you paint the forks black? Or are those r6 or r1 forks?

jwhelan65

Looks like small gravel would easily slip by that one..