Racing509 - Frame Slider Alternatives

rnvanquish

I've been looking into products similar to those offered by Racing905 (mainly because I work in the industry and they're a "competitor" of sorts; although we specialize in different types of bikes) and was wondering if anyone else has considered putting something similar on their FZ8 as opposed to frame sliders. Frame sliders just seem too insignificant to me and wouldn't offer shit for protection outside of a "perfect" low-side. So, has anyone considered any type of protection for their bike aside from frame sliders? If so, what type? Something similar to what I have posted or something different?

Racing905 doesn't specifically make a set for our 2011 FZ8's quite yet but I'm in talks with them about loaning out my bike as I only live about 60 miles north of their facility. I think a set of the "race armor" for our bikes would look pretty wicked.

"Race Armor": http://secure1.netbilling.com/cs/st...905&store_id=644&pid=32436&act=product_detail

"Race Armor" on a GSXR: http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz231/landry209/DSC01163.jpg?t=1282101159

Last edited:

lothodon

Super Moderator
i like, a LOT. it's closer to a frame cage (stunt cage) without the ugliness. it'd blend in well on our all black 8's as well. keep us posted!

rnvanquish

Yea, they actually make stunt cages as well but they were a bit bulkier than these "race cages". I agree, I think they'll blend in really well and look great on our bike as well as offer a bit more protection than the basic frame sliders. I'm currently in talks with one of their manufacturing managers. Hopefully they'll arrange a time for me to bring my bike in so they can start cranking out a set of the FZ8's sometime in the near future! I'll keep you guys posted! :D

rnvanquish

I just talked with their production manager again today. Apparently they had no intention of manufacturing a "Race Armor" set for this bike. This means that those of you who would like to purchase these would have to call and have a set special ordered.

Normally hearing "special order" scares me a bit due to the, generally outrageous, costs that go with it. The production manager stated that a "custom" set of bars would run around $175 for the set which is surprisingly close to what they sell the normal production race armor sets for at around $165.

I still plan on taking my bike down there in the weeks to come to get a jig and set made for the FZ8's. Apparently once the jig is made anyone can call and special order a set of these without having to take their bike in but they will still be a "made-to-order" item meaning if you want one, you'll have to call, put a deposit down, and wait for them to be manufactured. I'll keep you guys updated and post pics when I get the final product put on.

rnvanquish

for what rizoma or other 'brand name' sliders go for i'd say the 175 isn't all that bad.

Totally agreed. $175 isn't bad compared to their normal-production race bars which go for ~$170. $5 isn't much of a charge for creating the new jig (which can be a tedious process depending on the part) and the new part itself. Of course, $175 is quite a bit more than basic frame sliders but you're also getting a stronger unit which provides, what appears to be, quite a bit more protection.

JRunner

Any update on this? I am very interested in protection and was looking for a combo of frame sliders and an engine guard approach. Perhaps this is it?

Are there any frame sliders that work with engine guards that would offer the same level of protection as what is being discussed here?

Thanks in advance...

hypo

looks like a good investment to me. keep us informed!

djcecil

thats how i check my air pressure hypo, same as i did on bmx bikes, easier to spin the stem to where you need it.

hypo

so my wife and I went for a nice long ride through the hill country today... came to one of those river crossings that the RIVER crosses OVER the road... and she was leading, doing less than 5mph and the tires just slipped out from under her and she layed it down gently on its left side. We promptly picked it up, pushed it across the river, and then I pushed my bike across. (less than an inch of water running across about a 30 foot span of smooth concrete.) cars don't have to much problem, but damn if that concrete ain't slick as shit.

(looked similar to this, except there were guide rocks to show you where the road was... and no green moss otherwise we wouldn't have even tried it.)

anyways, I got home and promptly sent out emails to about 3 other companies that sell race rails:

Powers Stuntworx,Powers Stuntworx Race Railz,Powers Stuntworx Stunt Cages,Powers 12 O'clock Bars,Powers Sliders,Powers Rails,ToBeFast.com

Sick Innovations Street Cage: Yamaha (multiple vendors, but I picked on sick innovations)

Yamaha street cage [Yamaha street cage] - $139.99 : Sick Innovations - sportbike stunt parts, sportbike aftermarket parts, stunt cages, crash cages, rearsets, subframe cage, motorcycle stunts, engine cage, stunt pegs, round bars, 12 bars, clip ons, s

Last edited:

hypo

Joey
Thanks for contacting us. We are looking foward in building protection for that model. If there is anybody in the forum that lives and has the FZ8 near San Diego, please send them our way so we can start the process.

Thank You
Aaron Celiceo

Racing 905
Racing 905 | San Diego

CALLING YOU OUT SAN DIEGO!!!

hypo

MESSAGE FROM SICK INNOVATIONS
I am sorry, but we do not have anything available for that bike.

weak answer there. :/ I replied with "but are you GOING to be making anything for the FZ8 ?"

they said "not at this time" so Sick is OUT.

-------------------------

MESSAGE FROM NICK at TOBEFAST
Brother, we wouldn't be able to do it, but you might want to check with Militant Moto. They have been doing race rails for a while now, and they might be up for requests. Call T.A.W. and ask for Ed. He would be the one to talk to if anything can be done.
TAW---707-343-1534

Spoke to Ed, really good guy willing to help us out, he says that the crew that does the jig build is down in Orange County somewhere...
SO I'M CALLING OUT ORANGE COUNTY !!!!! ;)

-------------------------

Thanks 240Yoda!

Last edited:

hypo

I'm sure that both TAW and 905 have concerns about market interest... But I'm definitely IN when they get some production going for picking some rails up. Wish I lived closer to them so I could drop off my bike.

JRunner

MC Enterprises is another ...

I have been in contact with one of their people and know that the other more popular bikes are most likely going to take precedence over our FZ8s. I am hoping that maybe they have a change of heart if they hear interest from a large enough FZ8 population. Give them a call \ email and show your interest as it may help.

Here is one of their first applications...

GSXR600

http://www.mcenterprisesusa.com/

Last edited:
H

Hoover

I have a feeling that now the 8 is coming back next year, the stunting community will start taking a look at it. It will be much less work to convert it to stunting, and as the motor is a proven unit, it could start being a common sight. That means that the aftermarket companies will also pay more attention.
Just my :2cents: