r6 throttle tube

Woody146

Banned
Does the grip size stay the same? I just bought heated grips and may want to do this mod before I install them.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

Yup..they stay the same..larger hole grip goes on throttle and smaller goes on opposite.. Funny enough..I've seen people mess that up and had to wrap wire around a loose ass grip on their throttle..sketch lol

MotoZen

Is there a recommended size to go with? I'm assuming that the 1/6th has a shorter twist than the 1/5th tube? I mostly do commuting with my bike and I'm wondering if the 1/6th will get me to WOT too quickly?

Woody146

Banned
Is there a recommended size to go with? I'm assuming that the 1/6th has a shorter twist than the 1/5th tube? I mostly do commuting with my bike and I'm wondering if the 1/6th will get me to WOT too quickly?

Was thinking same thing...held them up next to each other and the difference was minuscule...I got the white one (not sure about the twist) was slightly smaller..test rode it..worlds of difference...I would say get the white one...it's more of a free play eliminator and wrist saver..of course you get to WOT a hell of a lot quicker too:D

MotoZen

I haven't had a chance to yet. I've been working like crazy and still have to do a bunch of stuff before I can take my bike out of hibernation.

cmurder

Pillion
guess we in NC are lucky unless it rains, or snows 2 days a year we always ride .. anyway looking forward to hearing what ya think , im very happy with mine !!:D

NoNine4me

The real way to fix the throttle response is with the reflash. Most if not all of the effect people are feeling from this R6 tube is an illusion because the real throttle response is handled by the electrically-controlled butterflies, off the throttle position sensor. What this means really is that no matter how fast you yank open the throttle, the secondaries are controlling the response, period.

The Guhls reflash totally changes how quickly the secondaries open up; they are much more aggressive on opening, along with all speed and ignition timing restrictions being removed. And believe me you do NOT want a 1/6-turn throttle on this bike if you reflash it, it is a rocketship.

Yes I know it's $300 but forget every other mod, if you want the bike to run like it should, smooth, powerful, responsive, do the reflash and save all that money that you'd spend on pipes, headers, etc.

Just sayin'.;)

Woody146

Banned
The real way to fix the throttle response is with the reflash. Most if not all of the effect people are feeling from this R6 tube is an illusion because the real throttle response is handled by the electrically-controlled butterflies, off the throttle position sensor. What this means really is that no matter how fast you yank open the throttle, the secondaries are controlling the response, period.

The Guhls reflash totally changes how quickly the secondaries open up; they are much more aggressive on opening, along with all speed and ignition timing restrictions being removed. And believe me you do NOT want a 1/6-turn throttle on this bike if you reflash it, it is a rocketship.

Yes I know it's $300 but forget every other mod, if you want the bike to run like it should, smooth, powerful, responsive, do the reflash and save all that money that you'd spend on pipes, headers, etc.

Just sayin'.;)

I personally did it to get rid of all the free play and to not have to turn the throttle so far to hit wot....I don't see how a retune can physically shorten a throw...

Imagine a nice souped up bike with headers pipe all that good stuff....AND THEN tune it......:sinister:

I've ridden gsxrs...r models and ninjas...I doubt it will make it crazier than these...but I do believe it will put us in somewhat of the same class

Bam Bam

Don't buy this number Yamaha 5SL262400100 Grip Assembly
its the same as factory so who ever put them numbers up was wrong but with that said I modified it to make it a 1/4 turn.

So i found this pretty informative and i had also sent an email to motion pro about this , the motion pro 0094 is basically the universal replacement for all the Yam bikes camber is a little less then a true 1/5 turn just fyi ...

""""Thought I would compile some info about the differences in the various R6/R1 throttle tubes here, consolidated from some of my posts on ADV. It may help people that are confused about the conflicting info on this subject.

1999-2005 R6 - 1/5th turn 5SL-26240-01
2006-2009 R6S - 1/5th turn 5SL-26240-01
2006-2009 R6 - 1/6th turn 2C0-26240-00-00 $18 @ Ron Ayres

And the R1 throttle tube is also 1/5 turn.

If you have the black R6 throttle tube, the part number is 5SL-26240-01 and its the smaller cam 1/5 turn tube from the older R6, the R6S, or the R1. If you have the white R6 throttle tube, the part number is 2C0-26240-00-00 this is the larger cam 1/6 turn from the newer R6. """"""

Thanks cmurder!!

MotoZen

I bought this one:
Yamaha 2C0262400000 Grip Assembly by Yamaha [ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C59NO2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Abgjtb1R1SZRQ"]Amazon.com: Yamaha 2C0262400000 Grip Assembly: Automotive[/ame]

Banky2112

Just plain crazy...
Don't buy this number Yamaha 5SL262400100 Grip Assembly
its the same as factory so who ever put them numbers up was wrong but with that said I modified it to make it a 1/4 turn.

Now that's interesting.... Can you show us? Or walk us through it.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
Guys it's been about 4 weeks since I've done the R6 Throttle "tub" and I just wanted to share some of my insights.

As much as I like ripping the road a new one with the shorter throttle WOT, I find the bike suffers from jerky low-speed modulation. It's great up top, but having the reduced amount of throttle control makes it slightly more difficult to control in low speed situations like in parking lots.

Makes sense right? Since having the OEM throttle makes smaller adjustments to throttle easier.

With that, since 90% of my riding is around town I went ahead and swapped the OEM throttle control back on.

Last edited:

MotoZen

Guys it's been about 4 weeks since I've done the R6 Throttle "tub" and I just wanted to share some of my insights.

As much as I like ripping the road a new one with the shorter throttle WOT, I find the bike suffers from jerky low-speed modulation. It's great up top, but having the reduced amount of throttle control makes it slightly more difficult to control in low speed situations like in parking lots.

Makes sense right? Since having the 1/8 throttle makes smaller adjustments to throttle easier.

With that, since 90% of my riding is around town I went ahead and swapped the OEM throttle control back on.

This is exactly what I'm worried about. I have an R6 tube ready to go on along with heated grips, but if I don't like it, I'm afraid that I won't be able to get the heated grips off to swap it back.

MikeC

Weekend Rider
This is exactly what I'm worried about. I have an R6 tube ready to go on along with heated grips, but if I don't like it, I'm afraid that I won't be able to get the heated grips off to swap it back.

If you wanna try it out without the grips first (to see if you like it), I'm happy to send you my R6 tube to try for a little while, it's just sitting there.

MotoZen

If you wanna try it out without the grips first (to see if you like it), I'm happy to send you my R6 tube to try for a little while, it's just sitting there.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm just going to put it on and see. I want to have my bike ready this weekend for spring.

cmurder

Pillion

Makes sense right? Since having the 1/8 throttle makes smaller adjustments to throttle easier.

I've put about 1k on my bike since I did the swap and haven't seemed to have any issues with the low speed, I personally feel it has relieved some of the choppy on off acceleration it had before and mostly the annoying slack :2cents:. just curious where ya get a 1/8th turn from would love to get one of those ;) ,