R1 shock and fork Suspension for FZ8

Rhyno54

Ok i'll try another question lol, anyone on this forum run R1 front and back suspension on their FZ8's, if i decide to get another FZ8 i wanted to upgrade the suspension and am looking for a bargain, don't want to really fork over the money for Ohlins they can be quite pricey

Mikz86ta

Mine came with R1 rear shock and the adapter. Can't say how bad the stock one felt since the prior owner did the swap. But I have no complaints. I have not adjusted anything but set sag. It's really comfortable over bumps, takes bumps and whoopties at speed pretty well. I'm glad to have it.
I wish I knew more about the forks. I seen some prior post the previous owner made in reference to upgrade forks, but unclear if he pulled the trigger.
I'd like to get some Racetech springs, valving adjusted to my weight....175-185lbs.

Rhyno54

Yeah, i'm definitely gonna have to get upgraded suspension 5' 8" 240 with gear on, trying to get to 200 lbs, just would like to know more about the forks, i don't know if the internals are swapped out or if the whole unit meaning the fork themselves are removed and replaced with forks from let's say a R1 for instance. And of course changing the rear shock with one from an R1

Mikz86ta

I've read about changing to FZ1 internals / caps and reuse the FZ8 forks. But to me for the money, doing the Race Tech parts are better. IDK if u can do a combo...like add the FZ1 Race Tech internal parts with FZ1 caps.
I say that because if u do FZ8 Race Tech parts in your stock forks, you still don't have adjustable. Just improved calving and springs. Which is great.
But everyone likes adjustments.
If you can swap in stock FZ1 forks, Good, now you have adjustments. But you have something that's stock. Idk how great the stock FZ1 forks really are. I mean, it seems those FZ1 guys upgrade and sell us the stock hand me downs.
I heard even the 2013-up FZ8 with the black forks...which are adjustable...are just a very mild improvement.

Rhyno54

Yeah only the 2013 FZ8's had adjustable suspension, i know upgrading to the FZ1 although still stock it's better than our bikes suspension the only problem that i found is the FZ1 rear shock unit can't be rebuilt and when it goes you have to replace the unit again instead of rebuilding it. Racetech would be a good choice if the internals of an FZ1 front suspension would fit inside the fork tubes of the fz8, it would still be considered aftermarket even though its for an FZ1