Questions about adjusting the shock absorber assembly

Arkous

I have a few questions about the rear shock absorber assembly. At the moment my rear shock is set to level 5 (standard). If I am riding with a passenger should I harden the rear shock?

How is the ride and handling of the bike affected by hardening and softening the rear shock?

hypo

yes, harden the rear shock for carrying a passenger IF you think that passenger is going to bottom you out or throw off your handling. I experimented with mine with and without load... but settled on the 5 for my daily use. I never had my wife on the back and when my kids came to visit I cranked it up 2 clicks when I had them on the back.

I never pushed the bike super hard to actually feel a difference when I was solo with a harder spring setting.

lyric911

Minor clarification - our rear shock can only be adjusted for preload. It doesn't get any stiffer no matter which direction you turn the adjuster.

impostor1981

Well diference is huge in bike handling as imagine that if its too soft on the rear than when you seat on it rear goes down and overall geaometry of the bike changes making it more resistant to turn in. I suggest to read about sag adjustment as thats what preload I for too keep correct balance between front and rear of the bike. I am about 100 kg with gear on and stock shock was definitely to soft to my weight even wuen adjusted to hardest setting :-D

Sschwar4

With this system, the best you can do is balance, unless modifications to internals or replacements are done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

C

Camo

With this system, the best you can do is change it out ;)
Suspension on our bikes is rubbish unless you're 60-70kg's. It's built to be awesome for Jockeys or little Japanese fellas.
From all accounts it's not to bad on very smooth roads for an average rider... but I wouldn't know...Not a smooth bit of road in this part of the world lol.

impostor1981

Very true thats why there is Nitron NTR on the rear of my bike and FZ1 forks on the front of it :-D and it rides superb

C

Camo

What Nitron did you go with mate?
I was keen to give them a go after a fellow Aussie on the FZ1 site swore by the mono shock. Reckoned it was a huge improvement along with the R1 front end swap out.
But once I'd calculated shipping/exchange rate and stuff, it was a really expensive way for me to go sadly. Almost Ohlins prices :(

impostor1981

Nitron Sport FZ1 model it fits in perfect. I was thinking about three or two way adjustable one but decided that it would not benefit my riding that much. I loke yo say yhat I ride rather fast and want to do few track days on it and this shock fully meet my needs. Paid £369 for it + 12 shipping
Check nitron website