Question about running no muffler

Joe.kelsi

I have a few questions about this option.

I will be getting my slip on in two weeks but until then wanted an option that sounded more aggressive.

1) will this throw any CEL with the O2 sensor? Or is the O2 sensor still plugged into the cat (Im not sure if it is plugged into the pipe that I will be removing or the cat)

2) also my bike only has 100 miles on it, will this effect the break in period at all?

Thanks!

ryujiwithanr

Sorry I cant answer those specific questions but just a heads up, check the state laws where you are about not having an exhaust too. Here in NC its illegal to run without an exhaust.

HeresMyMind

is it legal 95% no, is it practical 99% no, will it sound louder, 100% yes.

You shouldnt set off a code, but there is no gain besides loudness, you may lose some power

-B

Tix

...you may lose some power

-B

99% sure you will lose power. The 8 is configured and requires some level of backpressure. Unsure if this can be tuned out.

However, since I value my hearing, I'm not about to go try it either.

SGFLTRider

It would only work really well for an open exhaust like that if you had some kind of forced induction, such as turbocharger or supercharger. My Saab runs better with less of the exhaust restriction, but then again, it's a bit more expensive to mod than the bike.

Just get a good pipe. A ticket for sound ordinance violations isn't worth it just so you can have a good sound. Plus, keep in mind your own hearing. No matter how good your helmet is, that loud exhaust isn't going to do your ears any favors. On a recent 3 hour drive, the only time I heard any bike at all was when I was being passed by a Harley, with my windows slightly open. Otherwise, all of the other 60 or so bikes that came the other way never got loud enough to get through the windows and reasonable stereo volume.

Sorry, I didn't mean to do a soapbox sermon lol.

Woody146

Banned
I have a few questions about this option.

I will be getting my slip on in two weeks but until then wanted an option that sounded more aggressive.

1) will this throw any CEL with the O2 sensor? Or is the O2 sensor still plugged into the cat (Im not sure if it is plugged into the pipe that I will be removing or the cat)

2) also my bike only has 100 miles on it, will this effect the break in period at all?

Thanks!

Just wait and break it in proper

pastasauce

I rode my bike with out a muffler when I hit 600 miles all the way to about 4000 miles. Bike never had any problems or threw any codes but it did lose some torque (very noticeable drop). I would at least wait until you get your first service done but since you mentioned you're already getting a slip on then just wait for that.

master paper clip

Well I also chopped my stock down and made a shorty, rode with that for a summer then got another stock and eventually a danmoto TeXgp... Here's a video of my shorty... I have other videos on my page of the shorty also of my nodded stock and my Danmoto

2012 Yamaha fz8 custom straight pipe: http://youtu.be/qy9EjWQ5Br8

Last edited: