PSA: How to almost completely eliminate throttle snatch/jerk

eru000

I put a G2 throttle tamer tube on my 2012 FZ8, but it didn't really help with the low-speed throttle snatch (jerkiness). After some research, I discovered that it's really about the fueling. EFI systems usually completely cut fuel when you close the throttle, so when you open it again, the fuel needs to reach the cylinder and re-wet the walls of the intake manifold. That delay is what causes the throttle snatch. What you really need is a way to trick the ECU into either A) not doing that or B) thinking that the throttle is not actually closed.

I have a TBR Juice Box on my FZ, and just yesterday I finally manage to almost completely eliminate the throttle snatch. I still need to tweak it a little, but it's 80% gone. What I did was re-calibrate the TPS (throttle position sensor) to think the throttle is actually at 2% when it's closed. In the JB software (I'm sure you can do this with a PCV as well), you calibrate the TPS normally (sweep the throttle so it can get the lowest and highest voltage from the sensor; follow the directions), but I changed the low-end voltage to be even lower (0.615v if I remember correctly; YMMV). This way it's reporting as 2% when closed. The ECU now doesn't cut fuel, and the roll on is much smoother. In addition to this, I modified my current map (you could do this on a zero map as well), to add 1% more fuel at 0% and 2% throttle across the whole rev range. I only did that to values that were already 0%.

All that said, I would still recommend getting the G2 throttle tube. I like the low-end control it gives you. Much smoother throttle action, too.

9 Lives

Or just add fuel to the 0% throttle row from 2500 - 11500 rpm, I found about +10 worked well, reduces engine braking also. You can adjust it to your liking, just change the amount of fuel till you find what works best for you.

eru000

Hm, that's interesting. Would the ECU not try to override and cut fuel regardless? 10% of 0 is 0...

9 Lives

The PCV/JBP is upstream of the ECU, it manipulates the pulse width sent to the injector after it leaves the ECU. The ECU has no control after the signal is sent to the injectors, it has no way of knowing that the the signal has been manipulated until it goes into closed loop. This is part that is misunderstood, how the closed loop works in the system. Many believe its a "locked" area but it is not, its the area of the fuel map where the system "auto tunes" itself using the O2 Sensor. IE the 02 sensor tells the ECU that is senses a rich mixture the ECU will continually lean out the mixture until the 02 sensor tells it that the mixture is correct, so no matter what you put in the fuel table the ECU will counteract that by subtracting fuel until it gets the reading from the 02 sensor it is looking for. The way PCV gets around this is with an 02 optimizer which basically tells the computer what it is looking for when its actually a richer mixture, it "auto tunes" the closed area of the map with a richer mixture than stock. Or just disconnect the 02 sensor, that way the ECU will never go into closed loop.

All I can say is that it works with my PCV, by adding fuel to the d-accel area of the map the engine braking is less and throttle snatch is also lessened.

Last edited:

eru000

Ah, okay. Yeah, I knew it was upstream, but I wasn't aware that it could add fuel where there was none. I thought it only changed the value.

9 Lives

As long as there is a signal sent the the injectors it can manipulate it, at least with the PCV, not sure about the JBP.

eru000

As long as there is a signal sent the the injectors it can manipulate it, at least with the PCV, not sure about the JBP.

Makes sense. I just wasn't sure that the PCV actually *did* change 0 fuel.

And from what I understand the JBP is just a PCV with a few minor changes (noteably the ability to store 10 maps, and adjust low, mid, high fuel on the fly). And it's $100 cheaper.

9 Lives

I think it just really cuts back the fuel, not completely shut it off. Just guessing, I don't know for sure.

eru000

The PCV or the stock system? The stock ECU definitely cuts off fuel. Many newer bikes do to make emissions standards.