Power Shifting question

mano1192

SO its my 5th day riding street and I'm really loving it. I already put 350 miles on the FZ8. My friend told me how to powershift today. I absolutely love it as its such a smooth acceleration without using the clutch.

My questions is what are the cons to powershifting? Am I going to ruin anything in the gearbox or clutch sooner than normal? Should I not be doing this during breakin period of the bike?

I just want to make sure this will not damage anything, thanks!

Speedo007

Don't know as for long term, but personally I wouldn't be power-shifting during break-in period, all parts need to wear together, and that includes the transmission...my 2 cents.

lothodon

Super Moderator
i have to agree with speedo007, i'm not big into it since i'm not typically in THAT much of a hurry, but i'd not do it during break in and up to perhaps 1500 miles.

then again, if it breaks early enough there is always an under warranty repair.

Gravelrash

SO its my 5th day riding street and I'm really loving it. I already put 350 miles on the FZ8. My friend told me how to powershift today. I absolutely love it as its such a smooth acceleration without using the clutch.

My questions is what are the cons to powershifting? Am I going to ruin anything in the gearbox or clutch sooner than normal? Should I not be doing this during breakin period of the bike?

I just want to make sure this will not damage anything, thanks!

No problem imho so long as you are doing it smoothly and not stressing the transmission.

mano1192

Thanks for the replies. I've asked the mechanic at the dealership. Hes gong to ping the factory and see what they say. For now Ill just take it easy and use the clutch. BUT in my opinion I think these engines like powershifting more then using the clutch. Its a smoother shift and does not seem to stress the engine as much.... but Im a newbie so what do I know ;)