Power Commanders - Worth the money?

Fazerboy66

I've been reading about Power commanders and from what i can gather they are pretty useful items for ironing out throttle glitches, smoother power delivery and improving fuel economy.
Has anyone fitted one are they worth the cash and would you guys recommend buying one?
Are there any alternatives?
Your thoughts please...

Marthy

If your ride is bone stock without any major exhaust mod... I won't bother spending the $$$. That's what I use and really like all the flexibility that the PCV gives.

xXAvroArrowXx

Can someone comment on PCV increasing fuel economy? I was under the impression that the mapping decreases fuel economy.

Marthy

Some of the map is a bit fat and some are are lean. Overall in the fz8 you kight gave a slight gain in mpg but not worth dumping $300 for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Can someone comment on PCV increasing fuel economy? I was under the impression that the mapping decreases fuel economy.

That is pretty much what I have found. Since adding my PCV to the FZ1, my fuel economy has gone down. Not by a significant amount, but when you have a custom exhaust, you have to do something to alter your fuel. The PCV offers the best options. The Juice Box Pro is nice, because you can use PCV maps, but does not have all the optional accessories like the PCV.

xXAvroArrowXx

Good to know. I was going to get the PCV because it seems more recommended by members, but I'm most likely to find one or two maps I like and not mess with it too much after that, so for me I think the JB Pro will do all I need it for at a better price point.

master paper clip

I thoroughly enjoy what the PVC has done to my bike, and I still don't have a proper exhaust, still on this hack job... Hopefully just a few day and that's solved

But if u have an exhaust its highly recommended, you'll be shocked how drastic a change it can offer the bike and i still get 130 before f-trip comes on and I don't ride gentle

xXAvroArrowXx

I thoroughly enjoy what the PVC has done to my bike, and I still don't have a proper exhaust, still on this hack job... Hopefully just a few day and that's solved

But if u have an exhaust its highly recommended, you'll be shocked how drastic a change it can offer the bike and i still get 130 before f-trip comes on and I don't ride gentle

By exhaust do you mean slip on or full system? Can I expect a appreciable difference with just the slip on?

master paper clip

By exhaust do you mean slip on or full system? Can I expect a appreciable difference with just the slip on?

Rite now I have a shortened stock exhaust, I'm ordering a danmoto and switching to gear dependent maps when I get it, eventually a full system

As for gain my butt dyno says good, I don't plan on going to a dyno till I do the cam swap and full system

xXAvroArrowXx

Rite now I have a shortened stock exhaust, I'm ordering a danmoto and switching to gear dependent maps when I get it, eventually a full system

As for gain my butt dyno says good, I don't plan on going to a dyno till I do the cam swap and full system

Sorry. What I meant was does the JB Pro/PCV made an appreciable difference if your bike only has a slip on rather than a full system?

gufazi

I installed the Juice Box Pro about a month ago, so I can tell you my experiences.

FYI, I have a slip-on, K&N, AIS block and modified air box. My riding style is mixed between city and highway commuting, and occasional back road carving. For the map, I started with Jumbo's and changed it to my liking, a touch leaner is some bands, a touch richer is others.

Before the JPB install, I had a flat spot and high vibrations between 3500 and 6000 RPMs. The motor also bogged a bit when downshifting to stops. This was bothersome considering the mid-range is where I prefer to live. My overall MPG: 39 average over my first 900 miles of owning the bike.

After the JPB install, the flat spot is gone, the vibrations reduced, the bogging is settled when downshifting, and the bike is overall more responsive. Maybe it's my confidence or practice, but even the shifting seems smoother. My over all MPG now: 41 average in my last 300 miles since the install.

Conclusion: This is my first fuel controller and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Fazerboy66

Ok, some pretty interesting posts there, I'm running a stock exhaust and have heard some great stories about controllers.
How easy it to set up your own mapping with these things can a novice tweak the settings or you looking at taking it to an expert?
Thanks again for your wisdom guys much appreciated.
FB66

FZ8canuk

I installed the Juice Box Pro about a month ago, so I can tell you my experiences.

FYI, I have a slip-on, K&N, AIS block and modified air box. My riding style is mixed between city and highway commuting, and occasional back road carving. For the map, I started with Jumbo's and changed it to my liking, a touch leaner is some bands, a touch richer is others.

Before the JPB install, I had a flat spot and high vibrations between 3500 and 6000 RPMs. The motor also bogged a bit when downshifting to stops. This was bothersome considering the mid-range is where I prefer to live. My overall MPG: 39 average over my first 900 miles of owning the bike.

After the JPB install, the flat spot is gone, the vibrations reduced, the bogging is settled when downshifting, and the bike is overall more responsive. Maybe it's my confidence or practice, but even the shifting seems smoother. My over all MPG now: 41 average in my last 300 miles since the install.

Conclusion: This is my first fuel controller and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have had similar results with my Bazzaz unit and will install one on any future bike I pick up. Well worth the cash

MikeC

Weekend Rider
The question is how deep are your pockets and what exactly are you looking for?

For me, when I was stock, I wasn't interested at all in getting a FMU. The mileage increase, and slight added power on a stock setup make it seem like a poor use of money. OR at least, not the most important mod since it doesn't make more noise, look cooler, or whatever.

But after slowly adding breathing mods, the reality set in that I was pulling the setup farther and farther away from what the stock tune can accommodate for, I knew it was time to get it.

The results weren't OMGWTF night and day, but yeah everything people mentioned were apparent. However, for me; if I wasn't more concerned about the overall health of the bike, then I wouldn't have touched it. Due to it's price/gain it was more of a product of necessity for me, and not so much a mod I was willing to do. Slip on, filter and HIDs I had no problem doing.

gufazi

Ok, some pretty interesting posts there, I'm running a stock exhaust and have heard some great stories about controllers.
How easy it to set up your own mapping with these things can a novice tweak the settings or you looking at taking it to an expert?
Thanks again for your wisdom guys much appreciated.
FB66

I had the same question. An expert can give you exact results or air/fuel ratio, hp, O2, etc., but I like to tweak.:)

I started with a base map that matched my set-up (Jumbos). After that, I took the 9 mile route and paid attention to how my bike reacted to certain throttle responses and situations. Then I made changes to the chart based on my butt, ear, and eye dyno. If there was hesitation during certain ranges, I added a bit. If there was plenty of power, I backed off a bit till it did hesitate, and then added back level it out. Repeat, repeat, repeat. It helped that the JBP lets you add up to 10 maps to the same device.

You'd start with the "Stock" set-up available on PCV or JBP website (they share map data), which are based on professional dyno results for bike. That will get you 90% there, I'd guess. Also, the PCV offers an additional Autotune device that adjusts on the fly, but I don't know anything about it.

Evan

What AFR do these bikes run standard and with a map? If you can specify ignition advance for fuel in the tank, I'd imagine fuel economy should INCREASE if anything. Also, do any data logging interfaces exist?

Last edited: