Potholes!!!! <GRRR>

sirdyza

:mad:

So on Sunday I got the chance to go for a quick hour long ride, and 1/4 mile from home on the freeway there is this section of road where there is a transition from pavement to cement that is about 1/8th mile long that is riddled with potholes. I have been dodging it, or getting lucky for about a month, but not this time. I hit it hard, and it nearly threw me. I didn't think much of it after until the next day when I was riding home from work and there was a traffic jam that was CRAWLING for like 8 miles. I started to notice this thud, thud, thud as I was limping along. I took the very next exit to check out what was going on.

It turns out my front rim is bent pretty bad, well at least to a point where I won't feel safe riding the twisties till I get a new one. I then realized that I had added air to my rear tire that morning (day after the pothole) because it was like 10 lbs down. So now I have a bad front rim and a slow leak in my rear tire. I have to submit a claim to the county and it will be about 8 to 10 weeks until I get paid (if the county determines themselves that they are at fault for my mishap!). This is just getting into peak riding season here in Denver, and I have to save up for a rim and tire before I will feel comfortable going for a ride again.

I am so F'in mad it makes me sick. I remember seeing a story on the news yesterday morning about the problem with the potholes, and that the county knows it is an issue. They vow to fix potholes within 24 to 72 hours of being reported. I have reported it, now I have to pay out of pocket to fix my bike and hope the county will reimburse me.

I have to say, I am lucky that I was not thrown from the bike. It hit hard and put me off the seat a little bit. Anyone else have this happen? Were you lucky enough to eventually get reimbursed from the government (when they get to determine if they are at fault or not - in an era of tight budgets and overruns)?

Oh, and I had just applied the cool new rim tape before my ride on Sunday, so I have to replace that as well.... :mad: :(

Woody146

Banned
Yea..happened to me too..either that or someone got too horney with the tire iron..either way....I've been riding on it for months (knock on wood)..but mine looks pretty much the same.

stormin1

Yeah over here there is no chance of being refunded any costs associated with repairs due to potholes as local councils have legislated to protect themselves, on the upside at least you were not injured.I know aq bloke over your way who hit a pot hole on his gold wing he ended up with a spiral fracture on one of his legs.

RoadKill

yeah that happened to me 2 times. i paid out of pocket and didn't even try to get the city to pay for it. very expensive but i don't ride fast on unfamiliar roads anymore.

noodle

I hit a pot hole the other week and it bent the rear relay on my bike. hit so hard the back tire came up and bent my license plate!

sirdyza

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for all the great feedback.

I looked at the front rim again last night and it was worse than I initially thought. There is actually a flat spot in the rim that can be felt, so I am not sure how easily it would be repaired; however, I got lucky and found a replacement rim on ebay for $160 shipped. The description indicated it was in good shape, no bends. The disk didn't look to be in that great of shape, but I can use my current ones in their place. I was thinking of replacing my wheels already anyway, so at least now I have a chance that the state will pay for one of them.

I hope they fix that section of road soon, because I can see someone's wheels getting stuck and going down. I will avoid that lane from now on for sure!

Thanks again all for the advice and stories.

SirDyza