Post your front and rear tire wear photos-

rug_burn

Hey- let's check out the wear patterns on our tires. Let's see those chicken strips!

This is actually one of the first things I check on my or anyone else's bike- I actually think that if you're cornering with the right technique, you will have some meat left on the edge of your tire- because if you're doin' it right, you are leaning your body into the turn and keeping the bike more upright.

The only way you will drag the pegs, at least on a sport type bike, is if you're sitting vertical, and leaning the bike underneath you like a motocrosser.

My front tire's about done- I'll post a photo when I get home.

cambo

Avid Rider
you will have some meat left on the edge of your tire- because if you're doin' it right, you are leaning your body into the turn and keeping the bike more upright.

That's EXACTLY why I have 9 inch chicken strips. Because I take corners keeping the bike straight up but I'm draggin' shoulders, yeah buddy!

I would post pics but I don't want to brag. :tard:

alexk

Weekend Rider
I'll cop to chicken strips...

When I had my rear stocker (picked up a drywall screw), I had 3/4" of a strip on it at 3,000 miles - not too bad for a commuter bike.

The replacement I got (Dunlop Q2... in stock, cheaper, dealer claimed better wear, and made financial sense when I factor in car costs waiting - an extra $10/day in gas, plus wear&tear) was insanely greasy from the factory, so much so that I locked up the rear under gentle braking twice on day 1. This taught me to ride like I was on ice at all times, resulting in my keeping the bike more upright through more body lean and better line choice.

End result? I'm a lot faster now, but have much bigger chicken strips.

The takeaway? Chicken strips aren't a valid indicator of rider speed or skill... just bike lean angle.

Last edited:

b-eock

So this is the tire I just got 15 mins ago. Working on ridding it of chicken strips. Michelin PP3.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

rug_burn

front tire w 9000 mi, approx - seem like it is worse in some spots than others.
this is the stock Battleax front.

I'll try to get one in better light this weekend.

As for that drywall screw- I have had real good luck with plugs on these kinds of holes. The thing is to sharpen the inserting tool real sharp, smooth off all the places it could get hung up going in and out, and don't use that thing to file out the hole. That is the point of sharpening up the inserting tool : it lets you insert the plug into a tiny hole, almost guaranteed not to leak. I don't use the lube, either. (I mean on the plug...) Hell, at $200 or so per tire, installed, I ain't gonna waste 'em. I got one now in my other bike, hasn't lost a psi in a week.

Last edited:

Woody146

Banned
After maybe 3000, have 7200 on the bike, changed tires approximately 35-4000 mi....these michiline 2ct are crazy

Woody146

Banned
Wouldn't say I had to buy these..but I kept scraping in turns so it was a good excuse...I have them on the lowest and longest setting as to I am 6'2 with a size 14 boot....have NOT scraped once or had to readjust to shift or turn...def. look into new rearsets.

villhelmromero

here's my oem front and rear battleaxe tires @5036 miles. I ride pretty hard and surprisingly not too much wear on them.

Last edited:

pastasauce

Just got these bt016's about 1,000 miles ago. LOVE THEM. Big improvement over stock. I haven't scraped my pegs however i keep dragging my feet.

97audia4

there are the stocks after 7k miles and about 4k of those are 2-up on stock suspension too , last trip me and the gf made i noticed a ton of rubber coming off the middle of the tire was starting to really shred rubber but that was after doing 90+ for 100 miles or so :eek:

Last edited:

b-eock

My chicken strips are completely gone since I got PP3's on the rear.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

rug_burn

Yeah- I have a Michelin PR-3 on the rear, and it shows no sign of getting a flat spot in the middle (yet) but it only has about 3k on it. Seems like a real good tire. I like the extra cuts for rain dissipation, because it seems like they give a little better grab on uneven surfaces (a totally unscientific impression.) At least it's shown no tendency to slide out unexpectedly.

97audia4

Yeah- I have a Michelin PR-3 on the rear, and it shows no sign of getting a flat spot in the middle (yet) but it only has about 3k on it. Seems like a real good tire. I like the extra cuts for rain dissipation, because it seems like they give a little better grab on uneven surfaces (a totally unscientific impression.) At least it's shown no tendency to slide out unexpectedly.

Any long rides or highway on those pp3's ? I'm done with my stocks but I have to make a few100 mile trips on the hgihway and I ddon't want a flat spot on new tires.