Plug or New

NORE

I never had a flat on my bike before but I caught what seems to be a nail or a staple on the center of my rear tire. Now I don't know if a plug would be safe, the tire has only 600 miles on it. Any suggestions?

97audia4

Take the time now to replace the tire. Trust me it will save you from sliding on the pavement later, plus the stock tires suck

cpatt

thats a tough one... i personally would patch it and just be carefuller. especially if its in the center so your not on that part when turning. but at the same point ive had friends front tires fall off the rim... soo its rely your call but

patch/plug at own risk.

Last edited:

Tango59

I plugged the rear on my last bike (less than 800 miles on it) and had no problems BUT I was contantly worried about it. If you have the cash now, I'd replace the tire.

NORE

It is only the rear tire. Ok if I decide to change I would like A wider profile should I go 190/ 50 or 190/55, and do I have to swap my front tire too?
Sorry guys. New to this game.

Bajaedition

no you do not need to swap the front also\
can I ask why you need a wider tire than the size engineered for the bike?

9 Lives

I never had a flat on my bike before but I caught what seems to be a nail or a staple on the center of my rear tire. Now I don't know if a plug would be safe, the tire has only 600 miles on it. Any suggestions?

It all depends on what kind of "plug" your talking about. If its the kind that you push in with a needle like tool and pull out, then no I wouldn't trust it. The type that you remove the tire and install the patch/plug from the inside of the tire (also known as a mushroom patch) is a excellent fix that I would trust.

Last edited:

NORE

I think it would look better plus I assume more rubber on the ground, more grip. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

9 Lives

I think it would look better plus I assume more rubber on the ground, more grip. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your right if the rim size corresponds with the tire size. If you put a wider tire that what the rim is designed for, your actually putting less rubber on the road.

9 Lives

I have never tried it, my original tires are still good but other guys have put on wider tires with no problems. Hopefully they will chime in with their thoughts.

pigdog

i had a mobile tire changing service called RETIRE. i never plugged a customers tire but did plug my own tires with rope type plugs that actually vulcanized themselves to the tire. the correct way to fix a flat would be to find an inner-tube the correct size & install it. as for this bike i would go ahead & buy a new tire

black8

I would go the plug route if its done right you wont have a problem i had my rear plugged on my busa and no problem at all,ive also gone for the 190 rear and to be honest i cant tell the difference from 180 to 190 apart from the look of the bike