plasti dip?

okay i have heard you guys talk about this stuff before but what is it? where can i buy it? how does it work? how does it last?

BLAZEX09

Commuter
I'm no expert but it is basically a non permanent, but quite tough rubber coating.

It's great for coating things for a small bit of extra protection, or to see if you like a certain color without doing anything permanent.

Look it up on you tube there are guys who coat their entire cars in the stuff.
The best part is that it is relatively cheap. I've done a few bits on my bike flat black to clean it up a bit.

I think home hardware is the only retailer sells it in Canada but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
D

DJK1505

I have sprayed my entinre front grill on my dodge 3500, the bottom quarter of the whole truck, and bumpers. Its been sprayed for more than a year and still looks great. Just make sure when you are spraying, you want to spray a good coat on the stuff, not a thin coat. The thicker it is the better it holds up, and easier it is to peal off.

DJ

TundraTim

PlastiDip is great stuff. You only need to clean the surface and wipe it down with alcohol. If you don't like the way it looks, you just peel it off. I sprayed the forks on my FZ8 and they turned out great.

Here is a picture.

DLSGAP

I did the chrome grill and rear hatch trim on my pathfinder. Doing the roof rack and wheels next. Super easy and so far it's holding up great through weather, rocks, car washes, etc.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk

C

cracker0309

If you have a Home Depot there in Canada that's where I buy mine.

Blanchy

How about masking it off? I tried and found I had to use a very sharp blade every coat or it would peal up with the tape. Any ideas?

C

cracker0309

How about masking it off? I tried and found I had to use a very sharp blade every coat or it would peal up with the tape. Any ideas?

Depends on what your trying to dip really.

The best thing to do if your having to, or wanting to mask is to peel of the tape when the dip is still a little wet. The tape will come off easy and the dip will have a clean edge without having to use a blade.

Blanchy

Depends on what your trying to dip really.

The best thing to do if your having to, or wanting to mask is to peel of the tape when the dip is still a little wet. The tape will come off easy and the dip will have a clean edge without having to use a blade.
:hbwall: So damn obvious now you say it! Thanks.

Jwood9

Its great and is so easy to use. Lemme just give u my:2cents: and i think others will agree

Warning: Plastidip is addictive

C

cracker0309

Its great and is so easy to use. Lemme just give u my:2cents: and i think others will agree

Warning: Plastidip is addictive

I agree 100%
And now they have all sorts of colors...It's like giving a book bag full of crack to a crack head.. Just isn't Right!!

Sent from my Evo LTE

DanS

Commuter
I agree 100%
And now they have all sorts of colors...It's like giving a book bag full of crack to a crack head.. Just isn't Right!!

Sent from my Evo LTE
If it were crack I'd be in trouble :eek:

a few samples of my plasti-dip addiction

DanS

Commuter
Is it fuel resistant? Will a decal adhere to it?
I haven't tried to stick a decal to it. As far as being fuel resistant I copied this off the plasti-dip website faq's

"Is Plasti Dip® chemical resistant?
Plasti Dip® protective coating has excellent resistance to acids, alkaline, and most common household chemicals. However, it is best to test this before going ahead with your application. Plasti Dip® does have limited resistance to petroleum based products."

DanS

Commuter
Check out dipyourcar.com for videos about plastidipping and ordered all the different colors.
I love that website! I recently bought an old beater honda civic for my daughter to learn to drive and I'm seriously considering dipping it