Plasti Dip Thread. Bike/Helmet Dipping

IanLeMasters

I just wanted to start a thread for people wanting info on Plasti-Dipping your bike, bike parts, helmet, or whatever.

Let's start here. Plasti dip, rubberized coating that can be sprayed from a aerosol can or purchased in gallons and sprayed through a variety of sprayers. The best sprayer set up for your money is here:
https://www.dipyourcar.com/dyc-dipsprayer.html
Can you do better with a pro set up, air compressor and gravity fed fancy hvlp gun? Yes. Can you afford all of that? Probably not, or don't want to invest that much to paint your bike. So, moving on.
This sprayer system above is made for dip, and is an hvlp setup. It WILL do the job very well.

Plasti Dip is durable, relatively heat resilient (300F) and completely removable. The color options are becoming larger by the week, and now include a wide range of pearls, flip flop pearls, and metallics.

Almost everything you want to know is here, as well as all the products and colors.
https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php
There is a YouTube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/DipYourCarcom
They release a new color frequently as well as dip at least 1 car a week as an example.

As for me,
I've been dipping things for about a year, and when I bought the bike I knew it was getting dipped. So about 3 weeks after I got it, it got sprayed camo green. (all from a rattle can) Learning experience for sure. I learned how to take some basic parts off the bike, and It was the first entire vehicle I had dipped. All done it looks like this

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

It has been dipped for 6 months. And is starting to look tattered.

That being said, I probably ride more that most people in here. That's not an ego trip or anything, I'm stating that for the sake of the Dip. I have rolled 12,000 miles in the last 6 months on this bike. I ride daily. 85-100 miles. So I burn through everything that is motorcycle. =)

What I learned from my first dip job.
LAY DOWN MORE DIP

For durability AND peelability sake put at least 4-6 coats of gunmetal or black down first. Then 4-6 coats of color. This makes a huge difference.

For colors, after applying a gunmetal base. You can apply most colors on top and get the proper color in the end. There is a difference though, in certain colors, if laid down over black, gunmetal, or white.

Red, (and blaze colors), for example, if sprayed over black makes a dingy darker red as its coverage isn't as opaque as say camo green or gunmetal. So for red, and blaze to pop, you want to lay down white first. That then makes 3 colors to get 1 color. Gunmetal base, white, and top color. White covers poorly just like red, and all of the florescent colors. So you don't want to use it as a base by itself.

The color patterns and possibilities can be discussed more later in the thread, I just want to state that you may need more than just the color you want, in order to get the job done right.

Here is a video of my helmet with the clear dip glossifier applied.
http://youtu.be/KUXWO12X27Y?list=UUc8rNWMNNzDPlA71JUWRXQQ
Here is a video of my bike and the wear and tear on the dip from 12,000 miles of riding.
http://youtu.be/1fIooMbvOPk

The possibilities are wide as to what you can coat with this. Headlight internals, springs, wheels, forks, bars, etc. I had a Danmoto slip on that was blacked out with dip. I sold it on to a user on the other FZ8 forum and it is holding up nicely. My key is dipped,

Please feel free to hit me up with any questions regarding application, color choices vs base coat or anything dip related.

Hopefully this gets some attention and gets stickied.
Lets get the discussion rolling.
Laterz

cmurder

Pillion
im actual working on a glow in the dark matte clear finish for my tail section and i agree 4-6 coats min the more the better, also making sure your spray nozzle is clean between applications( otherwise your blowing chunks if your doing a rattle can job ), in addition to getting a good finish one could swap the nozzle for a super fine mist one, should be able to find those in most hobby or art supply stores

IanLeMasters

I want to play with that glow in the dark stuff. Keep me posted, I'm wondering if it has a color cast or if its clear.

cmurder

Pillion
bought the powder online ordered some matte clear plasti dip and some of those preval sprayers from home depot

a-rode

The Dipped DanMoto Jisu is holding up well. I had to fashion a hanger for it, so its got a little tattered there, though i touched it up.

As far the paint on the ca goes, there are no issues with heat, it is doing great. However I seem to get a lot of gravel kicking up and hitting the can about 6 inches back along the top, its a strange phenomenon. I will be peeling the dip off over the winter, making a new good looking hanger and re-dipping black.

cmurder

Pillion
so finally got around to test ,,,, and it works for $12 you can make stuff glow

this is only 2 coats and 20 minutes of charge so 4-6 hours of actual day light should be insane

I re-did it the next night and used 2 coats of straight matt as the primary layer turned out much nicer ill post some better pics this week

Last edited:

nightttime

Reviving an old thread: how did you dip the tank? Did you prop it up or just do as-is with the tanks fender removed?

IanLeMasters

Yep just left it on. Propped it a bit while taping off the lower half of the bike. But you can spray it down in its normal position.

Sorry for the forever late reply.

nightttime

It's all good! I decided against dipping my tank after all. Just doing removable plastics (of which there are few) for accents with my color scheme of grey, black and race blue.

Keach

Just dipped the exhaust pipe of my r77 to match my ceramic coated arrow headers. Didn't want to deal with drilling out the rivets, although I might have it ceramic coated in the future. First impression is it looks/matches headers pretty well, and after one ride held up to the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IanLeMasters

Daaaamn dude. That looks pretty good. Did you get a lot of coats on there? I've heard that the heat makes it harder to peel, but if you have a lot of coats it stays together better as you peel.

Keach

Daaaamn dude. That looks pretty good. Did you get a lot of coats on there? I've heard that the heat makes it harder to peel, but if you have a lot of coats it stays together better as you peel.

Yeah I have probably at least about 5 coats on it. I used some old plasti dip that had been sitting in the garage for a while and it sprayed out a little bit chunky so there are about two little runs in it. I figure if I'm going to take the time and spend the money to ceramic coat later I'll just work on peeling it all off and if I run into problems I'll wash it a little bit with gas on a rag. That eats the hell out of dip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk