Picking up my FZ8 tomorrow!!!!!!

pajkrubi

I'm so freaking excited! I just finished up talking with the salesman and finance lady at the yamaha dealer and am scheduled to go down with my bike first thing tomorrow morning to trade in on a brand new 2012 leftover FZ8 they have! I'm currently on my first bike which is a 2011 Honda CBR250R which was a great beginner bike but I'm ready for something larger and with more power. I put almost 10,000 miles on it the last two seasons and it's been great but the one huge downfall for me is it is seriously lacking safe passing power at anything over about 50-55 mph. The roads I take to work (I use the bike to commute a lot for gas savings over my 13mpg jeep) are 55mph backroads with a few sweeps here and there but mostly fairly straight so most people cruise along at 65-70mph on them. Well occasionally I get behind a granny out sight seeing the farmland going 45-50mph. Well with the 250 I have to kick it down to 4th and still have a pretty long passing area to get around safely (I'm not one for chancing it or cutting it close on a bike) because it just doesn't build speed very quickly in the 50+mph area.

Anyways I've been looking for awhile now and called about a few that were marked down pretty good but I've kept passing them up waiting for the right one. Well I found it! This one is a brand new (1 mile on the odo) 2012 leftover for $6,344!!! Over $2,300 off retail! They just want to get rid of it because they've had it for awhile and their FZ-09's are hitting the floor. They're giving me full kbb value on my bike too which is all I really asked for because they have such a great price on the FZ8. I am so excited because I've really liked the 8's since they came out but was just a little too much bike for me to want to start out on. The local yamaha dealer will only come down to $7,800 on their '12 FZ8 and won't take trades because they're a small dealer that only deal in new yamaha bikes (likely be out of business before too long too because they have horrible inventory all the time from being so small). I'm traveling well over an hour to go get her but man is it worth it. I'll hopefully have up some pictures tomorrow. First things I'm doing is Givi smoked screen, yamaha center stand and a dan moto carbon gp slip on.

FZ8Panda

Awesome dude! Got my '12 this summer too after being on a ninja 250. What a difference. I love my 8. Love it so much I'm still going to be riding till the first major snow fall. $6344 is absolutely a steal! Congrats on the purchase! I know I was just as excited as you when I picked up mine. Have fun and ride safe. I found this forum to be very useful so ask questions if you got any. Enjoy!

NoNine4me

A good decision; the FZ8 is gonna be hell-for-fast compared to your 250, especially when you get the tach above 6 grand. So watch it. But it's really stable and the overall package is a much better way to go than anything else in its class, in my view. Especially if you want an all-around bike. 6,000 miles on mine and I like it more every time I ride it.

pajkrubi

Yeah I've been reading and reading and reading and watching any videos I can find on the 8 and everything else in it's class and am very certain I'm making the right choice. I'm definitely going to ease into it to get a feel for the power because I know it's going to be an absolute rocket compared to the weebee R. Hell, it's roughly 5 times the hp and tq with only around 100 more pounds to carry around. I'm going to take it for a short spin tomorrow when I get it home(I'm trailering mine down and the 8 back home) even though it's going to be pretty cold with a high in the low 40's. There's just no way I'm gonna be able to just sit there and stare at that beast and not ride it!! I'm gonna bundle up and go for a spin!!:D I generally ride my bike to work until it's mid 40's at night anyway and I have some good heavy gloves, a liner for my jacket and a nice balclava for under the helmet to stay warm on my 35+ mile commutes home in the colder weather. I'll tell you though that balclava was by FAR the best money ever spent for keeping warm! It keeps my face/head so nice and warm now which keeps the rest of me much warmer. Before I would freeze because even with a fullface helmet I'd have the cold air blowing up into it making my face/head cold which was miserable.

Shorted

You got a great deal on this awesome bike, thats for sure. Ride safe and post some pics. Don't forget about that rear fender eliminator kit;).
This is a great forum with a bunch of great,knowledgeable and helpful people!
Enjoy!

pajkrubi

Thank you and yes the FE and motodynamic tail light are another set of mod I want to do. I definitely got a great deal because I've seen used ones going for this much or more online. Granted the one used one was sweet because it was an '11 (my favorite year because of the gorgeous gloss black) and had a yosh carbon pipe, FE with motodynamic tail light, frame sliders and bar end mirrors plus it only was at around 2,000 miles so it was still super fresh but for the same money(it was $6,500) I'll take brand new with warranty over a modded used one.

NoNine4me

Thank you and yes the FE and motodynamic tail light are another set of mod I want to do. I definitely got a great deal because I've seen used ones going for this much or more online. Granted the one used one was sweet because it was an '11 (my favorite year because of the gorgeous gloss black) and had a yosh carbon pipe, FE with motodynamic tail light, frame sliders and bar end mirrors plus it only was at around 2,000 miles so it was still super fresh but for the same money(it was $6,500) I'll take brand new with warranty over a modded used one.
Motodynamic taillight is almost mandatory. Stock tail/brake lights are useless and nearly invisible during the day.

MotoZen

Yeah I've been reading and reading and reading and watching any videos I can find on the 8 and everything else in it's class and am very certain I'm making the right choice. I'm definitely going to ease into it to get a feel for the power because I know it's going to be an absolute rocket compared to the weebee R. Hell, it's roughly 5 times the hp and tq with only around 100 more pounds to carry around. I'm going to take it for a short spin tomorrow when I get it home(I'm trailering mine down and the 8 back home) even though it's going to be pretty cold with a high in the low 40's. There's just no way I'm gonna be able to just sit there and stare at that beast and not ride it!! I'm gonna bundle up and go for a spin!!:D I generally ride my bike to work until it's mid 40's at night anyway and I have some good heavy gloves, a liner for my jacket and a nice balclava for under the helmet to stay warm on my 35+ mile commutes home in the colder weather. I'll tell you though that balclava was by FAR the best money ever spent for keeping warm! It keeps my face/head so nice and warm now which keeps the rest of me much warmer. Before I would freeze because even with a fullface helmet I'd have the cold air blowing up into it making my face/head cold which was miserable.

Can I ask what balaclava you use? I have one from klim and it doesn't come down far enough on the sides. I'm always getting wind down on my neck/shoulders and it makes it almost worthless.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

pajkrubi

Can I ask what balaclava you use? I have one from klim and it doesn't come down far enough on the sides. I'm always getting wind down on my neck/shoulders and it makes it almost worthless.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

I have the under armour one. This one to be exact: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/ua-coldgear-hood/pid1223223-001

Here's the pics!! I only got some at the dealer because by the time I got it home and unloaded it was dark. I still took it out for a ride though and am in LOVE with the power this thing makes! It's a freaking beast!

Me like a fat kid on Christmas day! LOL

NoNine4me

Here's the pics!! I only got some at the dealer because by the time I got it home and unloaded it was dark. I still took it out for a ride though and am in LOVE with the power this thing makes! It's a freaking beast!

Me like a fat kid on Christmas day! LOL
I love the 2012 paint/forks/minimal graphics. The gunmetal gray is really nice. My buddy with a new FZ-09 still says the FZ8 is a better looking bike...that's a matter of opinion of course but one day I did have a couple of guys come rushing over to me at the local watering hole, wanting to know if I was riding the "new Yamaha". "No, this is the old one. But it's better!"

Nothing dated at all about the naked bike looks on this one but it is the handling and performance that locks it in. That chassis...oh, that rock-solid chassis. Marvelous.

You're gonna love it.

NoNine4me

First things I'm doing is Givi smoked screen, yamaha center stand and a dan moto carbon gp slip on.
You did it right, putting in two seasons on the Honda. You are going to benefit most from a new rear shock, though, especially being a big guy. The stock shock is just soft and weakly damped. You can get the Ohlins basic model, which I have, for around $650 and it will do far more for your safety, comfort, and riding enjoyment than all the pipes and ECU reflashes in the world. Install is easy as pie, just four bolts. If you do the shock and go to a 10wt fork oil that alone will transform the bike beyond your imagination.

The stock tires are not bad but when you change those it will be yet another huge surprise. I went to Pirelli Angel GT's but will do the Rosso II's (a bit stickier and more compliant) next time. Some guys like the Dunlop Q3's and Bridgestone BT023's.

Forgot to mention I got thumped from behind in stop/go traffic the first month I had it; got the Motodynamics the next day, installed it along with an additional LED light bar on the license plate. MUCH more visible and the MD also has a triple-flash when you first activate the brakes. I think the guy just plain did not notice my brake light when it was the stock, single, totally lame 1157 which is completely hidden by the center support and relies on reflectors to be noticed from directly behind. This is one thing about the FZ8 that is lame compared to the FZ-09, the latter has an LED taillight, but in truth it's not nearly as visible as it could be either.

The MD taillight corrects all that.

master paper clip

The shock from the fz1 is also a direct drop in and a cheap fix for the rear suspension... And noNine did changing the front forks oil make a big difference or just a little bit?

master paper clip

I ask because I don't have to much of an issue with the rear, but I will be addressing that soon, my biggest suspension problem is the front forks are a bit to soft when attacking the turns, just dives a little bit more then I'm comfortable with, if I can get them just a little firmer just from the oil swap that would be golden

NoNine4me

The shock from the fz1 is also a direct drop in and a cheap fix for the rear suspension... And noNine did changing the front forks oil make a big difference or just a little bit?
Changing fork oil made a big, big difference. I went from stock, which is ATF or 5wt, to 10wt. Much more damping in both directions, compression and rebound. A little too much really, but as you have to dismantle the entire front end to change the fork oil I'm living with the stiffness. I would say going to a 7.5wt would be about right for most riders until you get to about a 200 lb. rider weight. One of my winter projects might be to swap out that 10wt for 7.5. Also consider new fork springs with a dual-rate, more progressive design. I know I can do Race-Tech emulators and springs and that would be the best way to fix the forks, but I'm gonna do just the springs and go to 7.5wt oil next.

The FZ1 shock is also a real good way to go if you can find a decent example.

Also on this bike the suspension is still much better than the FZ-09 (for comparison) right off the showroom floor, especially the 2013 model which has some adjustability for damping on both ends. So if a guy was really just commuting and riding around town, or doing pleasure riding, the stock setup is not that bad for most riders. For track days, better do something about it, though.:cool:

Last edited:

bighurt35

very nice bike! I like the first photo with the Christmas tree, you get to celebrate getting a new bike and celebrate the birth of the Savior:D

pajkrubi

Thank you everybody! Yeah I can't wait to start racking up the miles this spring! I know it was the somewhat more expensive route to go but I'm also glad I started with the 250. It was a great bike to learn on and you could get away with small mistakes on it without it hurting you. It was a good bike to really LEARN how to work a bike without fearing it so it made me very comfortable.

As far as suspension goes I'll probably at most do an FZ1 rear shock swap and I also saw a how to on how to swap in an R6 or R1 shock with a bracket? I'm more of a commuter pleasure rider and will never be doing any track days or real serious corner carving. I enjoy riding at a swift pace but no knee dragging or anything for me. Granted I only got to do one 15-20 mile ride in the dark and cold but from what I could tell the bike already felt a LOT more stable and firm then my weebee r was so even as is it's a huge upgrade. Being that I go 255lbs I'm definitely going to crank the rear spring up some more before I start riding this spring though but i felt really nice just riding around.

Being as how I commute 70 miles round trip a day and do all my own maintenance the first things I'm doing are a givi screen and a center stand. They'll be the most useful. And as money permits the FE with motodynamics tail light, pipe and everything else will come. I also want a nice medium size tank bank or tail bag. I've been checking out a lot of the threads online about them on our bikes trying to narrow down which one I want. As far as tailbags I'm pretty much set on the Ogio one but there's several tank bags I like.