Performance gains?

kbrink

Just checking in to see if anyone has notice any "seat of you pants" or dyno proven performance gains from their after market slip on exhaust? I know some bikes are more excepting of exhaust mods than others, and I'm new to the FZ8.

Thanks & Ride safe, but have FUN!!! :rmwl:

H

Hoover

I have the Yoshi but I put it on the day I got the bike so have no comparison.
It has been my experience over the years that a full system will give you a noticable bump at the middle of the power band. Adding just the muffler will give you a few more horses but will you notice it? I doubt it.
What you will notice is that the bike will rev with a little more energy. It will feel a little more responsive throughout the rev range. And of course, it will sound much better.

Rubicon

I have Akrapovic with cat delete and Power Commander and I can notice a difference with all around power once I got a good tune done.

Speedo007

The best power upgrade you can get is by changing the headers for the akra headers, that completely eliminates the HP dip around 5k rpm.

I now ride the Yoshimura R-77 without baffle, no power commander, and it's really hard to say if it feels more powerful, as the sound is so freakin awesome, makes you feel like it has 50HP more then stock lol! But it probably barely has like 3-4HP more :)

Crazywb23

I got the two brothers full exhaust with the v.a.l.e. slip-on no baffle, pc-5, and k-n high flow. I can notice a big difference in throttle response. The power curve is a lot stronger. From the jump of the line and especially @ freeway speeds. :D

kbrink

Thanks guys for the info. The little extra bit on the bottom end is what I'm hoping the slip-on exhaust will help with, just a little bit more eagerness to spin those rpm's up faster, to bridge the gap between 1k-5k rpms. And like always, the Sound is a added benifit!! :tup:

Crazywb23

Thanks guys for the info. The little extra bit on the bottom end is what I'm hoping the slip-on exhaust will help with, just a little bit more eagerness to spin those rpm's up faster, to bridge the gap between 1k-5k rpms. And like always, the Sound is a added benifit!! :tup:

I believe your gonna have to upgrade to the pc-5 to completely help with the low end lag. Let me know how the slip on does though...

Speedo007

You'll never turn the FZ8 in a torque beast because its an inline 4 engine. You can improve a bit the dip it has around 5k rpm, but before 4k you will never get hard accelerations like you could with an inline 3 engine. :) Changing sprocket would certainly help that acceleration a bit at expense of top speed (which on a naked is pretty much useless).

kbrink

True inlines are a bit limited on torque (I should'nt be comparing it to my other bike, an sv650) in the lower rpms, just gotta live for the top end :tup:. I'm not ready yet to spend the $ on a power commander, though I'm sure it will help. The -1 on the counter sprocket is something I had in mind, but will doing that throw my speedo, tach, & odometer off, or just the Speedo?

mano1192

You'll never turn the FZ8 in a torque beast because its an inline 4 engine. You can improve a bit the dip it has around 5k rpm, but before 4k you will never get hard accelerations like you could with an inline 3 engine. :) .

Or a L-Twin like a Duc :D

Speedo007

I tried a Duc ST3 and under 4k it wasnt happy either, thought it was a terrible bike for commuting in the city at low speeds. From all the bike's I've owned or tried really the Speed Triple (inline-3) was the torquiest bike ever. At 2500 rpm the bike already had like 70% of it's torque. Just sold it cause the bike was making me stupider every day lol!

kbrink

I would have to agree with you, the inline 3 design is a great engine, lots of torque (like a twin) and that top end rush (like a four). This summer i test rode the speed & street triple and besides hating the new headlights, would love to own one of these bikes, unfortunately I couldn't find even the street triple for under $10.5k!! I'll take the FZ8 for $8k!! :2cents:

Ride safe & have FUN!!!

H

Hoover

I had a 97 Suzuki TL1000S for years, Very very torquey, I used it for commuting and long rides. I loved it and only sold it because when I moved to Florida, it was a very hot bike to ride.
In traffic in the summer, the fans would run almost continually and it was like sitting in a sauna with all that engine heat blowing up at you.

It was a mental bike to ride, very wheelie prone.

Speedo007

In 2009 the Speed Triple was 12k here, was quite a bargain for the bike it was. LOVED the bike. Really if there wasn't any speed limits, I'd still own it. Got caught once at 3km/h away from getting my license suspended...and I was in first gear...