Penske 8900E

RoadKill

Thinking about getting one. the stock shock feels spongy to me and with the preload set to 7 it still doesnt feel quite right. i weigh 180lbs.

Anyone have any opinions on this shock?

ssky0078

I talked to the guys at Traxxion Dynamics and they suggested making the next step to the 8975. If I remember correctly the 8900E was still an emulsion shock like the stock Fz1 with just spring preload and one adjustment like rebound. The emulsion shock when it gets warm can get a little wiggly/squishy under hard riding because the oil and air mix begins to get bubbles and it doesn't hold the correct pressure for rebound.

They strongly encouraged/suggested to just step up to at least the 8975 because it has the nitrogen in there that you don't have to worry about it heating and the ride deteriorating. During the testing days they went to, most riders could not tell the difference between the 8975 and the 8983 in terms of performance and there is a $200+ savings with the 8975.

Anybody would feel better on an 8900E compared to factory because it will have the correct spring weight. That alone will make a big difference.

RoadKill

I talked to the guys at Traxxion Dynamics and they suggested making the next step to the 8975. If I remember correctly the 8900E was still an emulsion shock like the stock Fz1 with just spring preload and one adjustment like rebound. The emulsion shock when it gets warm can get a little wiggly/squishy under hard riding because the oil and air mix begins to get bubbles and it doesn't hold the correct pressure for rebound.

They strongly encouraged/suggested to just step up to at least the 8975 because it has the nitrogen in there that you don't have to worry about it heating and the ride deteriorating. During the testing days they went to, most riders could not tell the difference between the 8975 and the 8983 in terms of performance and there is a $200+ savings with the 8975.

Anybody would feel better on an 8900E compared to factory because it will have the correct spring weight. That alone will make a big difference.

I almost got the 8900E and when i read your post i upgraded to the 8975 :) it's a better shock for just a little more. thanks man!

ssky0078

I almost got the 8900E and when i read your post i upgraded to the 8975 :) it's a better shock for just a little more. thanks man!

No worries. I'm saving up for the 8975 as well. I'm glad I talked to the guys at Traxxion Dynamics. They answered all my questions and help point me in the right direction. I was originally going to have them build a custom setup based on the 8900 but they said the most bang for the buck is the 8975. Be sure to post up a review after you get some miles on it in different conditions.