PCV Worth it??

Bajaedition

sort of but no cigar

crank on the FZ is heavier
heads are different
and some other things also changed
the FZ1 engine may be based on the R1 with changes to make it a street bike, but the FZ8 is based on that and not the R1s design. That is actually a significant difference

the FZ series engine is not the same as the R1 engine, the R1 is a SS engine the FZ is a more of a street engine.

they debored the FZ1 engine to get the FZ8, not the R1 engine.

Tix

The only reason I didn't get the R1 is because I have a bad back and leaning forward for more than a few minutes is pure pain.

The obvious question (for me) becomes would an R1 engine fit on the FZ8 frame?

Overkill? Yup
Waste of $? Depends on how you look at it. More power and the ability to stay upright? I'd do it. lol

MotoZen

I know that multiple people have put R1 cams on their bikes in the other house.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

9 Lives

Biggest thing to remember about going out and buying the latest AGEN/ECU?/pouser/givox is that the latest way to get you to buy it is to let the guys who have bought one write a review.
the review will go like this
I just bought the SICNES/ECU/SUPEREXPENSE brand and it has turned my bike into a super machine, I get super low end and have increased my bike by 25% in HP. It is totally a new machine.
Now they never even have thought about doing a dyno test and the bike is a mess of non tested aftermarket parts they just bolt on.
Remember, guys who have just spend serious dough on a new aftermarket device are going want you to think they have the best

but bottom line, take that bike to a dyno and see that it gives a 3 HP gain at around 8 grand and over

HOW MANY F(*&ING times are you going be going over 8 grand anyway?
And unless you have the name of that psrt all over your bike who is going know you even have it?

it is not as kewl as the after market exhaust you have everyone can see is it?

now, our FZ8s have a really killer torque band that is really flat all over the RPM range and super usable from the factory. If you are not taking this thing to the track then what are you trying to pick up with a new control box?

get the reflash and save a ton of money.

There is a bit more to it than that, yes if you have high expectations of any box or ECU tune turning your engine into a R1 engine then your are going to be disappointed. The reason you have to do your homework before you jump into anything. Have a look at the dyno results that a few members have posted with the PCV and ECU tune, not that much to gain in regards to maximum HP/Torque. The restriction on the engine is the design itself, the mechanical part of it. The valves, camshaft and ports will determine the maximum amount of air that can move threw the engine, you can cut your airbox as much as you want and put whatever exhaust you want and any other bolt on device but your going to hit a wall unless your willing to dig into the mechanical part of the engine. From what I have seen so far (dyno results not seat of the pants results) there are no huge gains (HP or torque) to be had by any of these tuning devises alone. That being said there are benefits of a proper tune, for example my bike has always hunted at idle and a TB sync did not fix it. One of the first things I did with the PCV was to add a bit of fuel at idle and my engine hunting was gone. You can also adjust engine braking and a host of other things. Again do your homework and then decide if whatever you invest in will do what you want it to. I love to tinker and the PCV was worth every penny to me but for other reasons.

AndyS

Banned
I know that multiple people have put R1 cams on their bikes in the other house.

Sent from my other favorite addiction (Galaxy S3) using Tapatalk.

That's where I read it also. One of the guys over there seems to know his stuff. He recons that once his tune is finished, he will have 125. Thats quite an improvement.

JDZIII

R1

Honestly, if you guys want an fz8 with R1 power, why not just buy a used R1 and strip it down and customize it yourselves to be a street fighter. The origin of the street fighter is that. Sportbikes would get there fairings scratched and broken in street races. As a result, street racers would strip them down and modify them with as few parts as possible or put parts from other wrecked bikes together to make one functional one. Thats how the street fighter was born. Blood and Bones.

AndyS

Banned
Honestly, if you guys want an fz8 with R1 power, why not just buy a used R1 and strip it down and customize it yourselves to be a street fighter. The origin of the street fighter is that. Sportbikes would get there fairings scratched and broken in street races. As a result, street racers would strip them down and modify them with as few parts as possible or put parts from other wrecked bikes together to make one functional one. Thats how the street fighter was born. Blood and Bones.

Because the frame of the RI is pig ugly without the plastic for a start. And the 8 was very cheap. I for one dont need R1 power, but I would like a little more than I have now